Juneau excursion recommendations.

roxsolw100

This is our second trip to Juneau. We have whale watched and helo'd to the Juneau Ice Fields. We plan to zip line in Juneau this trip, and have viewed other glaciers on past cruises. My question is whether it would be worth seeing the Mendenhall Glacier from ground level (saw it and landed on one last time) and taking the Mt. Roberts Tram. If somewhat redundant, then we would prefer something different. Thanks for your comments.

It's nice to see it at "ground level" and they have great displays, great trails etc. at the site.

It's quiet on the trails, usually.................a break from all the tourists in the ports and on the ship.

We always rent a car in Juneau (if you do, only use RentAWreck) and go to the little log chapel nearby, on the grounds of the U. of A. and to the Museum and to Fred Meyer to pick up whatever we want/may have forgotten.

Mt. Roberts' fare is an all day one, so you may want to go back up late at night if you're leaving late.................if it's clear.

I forget where you're from but if Rain Forests aren't in your area, the relatively new one that's been "developed" on the side road to Mendenhall can be a fun side trip. They take you around in little "golf cart" things.

It's also off the beaten path to drive across the bridge to the Island (I think it's called Douglas Island...............I just GO there and don't think about its name;)) and to look across the water to see Juneau's general layout.

Enjoy!!

Archived