Tipping when you first meet your room steward?

I have read in several threads that people like to tip their room steward a little something when they first get onboard. This is to ensure better service. How much would you say is a good amount to give?

I have read in several threads that people like to tip their room steward a little something when they first get onboard. This is to ensure better service. How much would you say is a good amount to give?

I don't tip extra to ensure better service, I tip extra because they work hard for their money. I tip $20 at the begining of the cruise.

We have never tipped in the beginning and have always received exceptional service. They have always made up our room, replaced towels, made towel animals, and filled ice buckets daily.

You don't think you are going to get better service if you don't?

You want to pre tip for them to do their job right?

Stop reading what evryone on this fantasy chat board is doing and judge for yourself.Tip nothing up front and at the end of the week you decide.How can you be sure you are going to get better service?

What better service do you expect? A second mint on your pillow,a happy ending........desert from the lido?

Don't believe half of what you read.These people are not handing $20s to everyone that they meet.This is CCL,not a high end line.

You could remove the tips from the S&S and tip in cash.Give the steward $10 a day.At the end of the week he makes out better.

Steve

We use to give phone cards at the beginning of the cruise, but most use email these days instead and the phone cards didn't give them many minutes. So we stopped that practice.

Before we did the phone cards and since, we've not tipped at the beginning of the cruise. I haven't noticed any difference in the service either way. We DO give extra at the end. The amount of extra depends on whether the service was good or great.

I usually tip first if I ask for something extra. I just got off the Glory, where I tipped $20.00 on the first day. I requested that my soft-sided cooler stay full of ice the entire trip. It did!:D

I do like to tip extra at the beginning because we use so much ice and it seems like an extra demand...

Anyway, just wanted to share a little mistake we made on a past cruise....

We arrived, tipped the person who was leaving our cabin (she had just finished vacuuming) and then learned that the entire hallway was switching out staff so we tipped the former person and our actual person who showed up about an hour later.

SO, just be sure you're tipping the right person. They all work hard to no biggie but passing it on.

20-30$ at the start. But we travel with a cooler, ask for extra glasses need the bed transformed to a queen sized bed..etc..etc. Then another 20-40 at the end of the cruise depending on the services.

Would I have gotten the same services and saved the tip money? Probably..but why tip minimal when you'd like extra services? The up front tip is cash in their pocket and most that tip up front will tip again at the end.

We never tip up front, we always bring a cooler and have asked our steward to keep it iced. Our stewards have always been top notch regardless and at the end of the cruise we tip extra based on the amount of days of the sailing and how much above and beyond we asked of him/her.

Am I correct in assuming, by the comment made above, that the beds are singles when you arrive and you have to ask to have to them put together?? I would have thought as a Mr & Mrs they would put them together prior to your arrival :)

Thanks

Am I correct in assuming, by the comment made above, that the beds are singles when you arrive and you have to ask to have to them put together?? I would have thought as a Mr & Mrs they would put them together prior to your arrival :)

Thanks

DW and I travel as Mr. and Mrs. and the bed is always a Queen upon our arival.

I'm new to crusing so tell me what's wrong with my plan.

I was going to do what I do at the resort. Leave a little extra something for the steward everyday in an envelope that says thank you and if I had some special request mention it there. For example: Thanks for turning the bed down last night and the nice mints. Do you mind leaving some diet coke in the mini bar today?

Problems with this????

We prepay tips but never tip extra up front. I expect excellent service and I won't pay extra to ensure I get it. At the end if I get it, I tip extra. My steward on the last cruise saw we brought on water so he kept our bucket filled with ice the whole cruise. I never used it, like my water room temp but it was a nice gesture and he did it without me paying him up front to do it, like I think any good attendant would.

I'm not saying I see anything wrong with upfront tipping, whatever you prefer to do. I just don't think you get better service by doing it or you have to do it to ensure excellent service. That should always be expected.

I'm new to crusing so tell me what's wrong with my plan.

I was going to do what I do at the resort. Leave a little extra something for the steward everyday in an envelope that says thank you and if I had some special request mention it there. For example: Thanks for turning the bed down last night and the nice mints. Do you mind leaving some diet coke in the mini bar today?

Problems with this????

Do whatever you feel comfortable with ... after he/she leaves the diet coke (of course they won't mind) in the mini bar for you, expect to see the charge for it in addition to the 15% gratuity on your account.

Howard

We always give our room stewart $20 the first day; not to get better service or anything special in return, but just a way of saying thank you before all of their hard work. If I gave them nothing or something before our cruise we expect and have always recieved the same excellent service on all of our cruises. It's just our choice to give these people a little appreciation.

Nope, no upfront tipping. That would be a bribe, not a tip.

I'm sure my room steward feels that way when they are putting the money in his/her pocket! lol

Please! For the low wages they work for. :rolleyes:

Archived