Question about applying for a Passport

rsohn65820

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this quesiton, but I hope it's okay.

My MIL is going to go on the Star with us in October to Mexico and she does not have a passport. She is in the process of filling out the paperwork and it asks for her mothers birthdate. My MIL is 73 years old and her mother has been gone for many many years and she does not remember her mothers brithdate. Is this going to cause a major problem with her getting her passport? Anyone have any similar experience of not knowing the answer to any of the questions on the passport form and how much of a problem was it?

Is there anything that can trigger your MIL memory? How old her mother was when she was born, for instance? I'm not sure if this will cause a problem but the earlier she goes and investigates the better. Good luck!

She could either go to the library or family history center and check a census record. You'd be surprised the info you can get online now. Does someone have a subscription to ancestry dot com? Does your MIL have a birth certificate that might have the info?

Thanks Ms Belp. Her mother passed away when she was very young and she was raised by her grandparents. She can estimate the year because her mothers age when she was born is on her Birth Certificate but she does not remember the month or the year. She said she thinks she might know but isn't sure the date she is thinking is correct and she didn't want to write down something that wasn't correct. Anyone know what would happen if she puts down the day and month she thinks it was?

She should just put down the info that she knows. Using an approximation is okay too as long as she makes note that it is just that "appx 1930" for example. I do passport application acceptance at work and that is how we handle it.

I just went to the post office to apply for a passport. I was unsure of my mother's year of birth. The postal worker told me if I'm unsure it is fine to put "not certain" or something to that effect on the application.

Archived