Beaches in St. Maarten???

gapopes5

I just got back from an Eastern Caribbean cruise too. Our first port call was St. Maarten. I was solo that day as I was traveling with a group that all had children and chose to do other excursions. I just wanted to spend a day on a post card perfect caribbean beach with an umbrella drink in hand. Actually, the first beach you can get to walking is very nice, in my opinion. It is only about a 20-25 minute walk to the Front Street area (St. M's main street). You can walk to the end of the pier and catch a land or water taxi ($8 or $6 ) or just keep walking on a sidewalk and it will lead you right to the little market/"boardwalk". It is clean, the sand is white and the water the most beautiful blue. There are small shops, jewelry stores, bars, ice cream shops if you care to stroll down the "boardwalk". There are lots of lounge chairs and umbrellas and people to bring buckets of iced down waters or beer. I took an excursion recommend in the Disney docs that was just as relaxing and oh so simple. It was the "Under 2 flags island tour". It lasted about 3 hours (goes quickly!) was over by 11:30. It was a bus tour that you catch at the end of the pier. Takes you on the French side and is pretty informative. It makes a 45 minute stop on the French side market/island. It ends on the Dutch side and the driver will drop you off right on Front Street. It is a very small place and you will have no trouble getting around. I am not totally certain but I think Orient beach and Front Street are your only 2 choices for public beach access anyway???

• 2 weeks later...

The island is divided. Easy to find whole history of St. Maarten / St. Martin on the internet. My first trip there was in 1985. At that time the monetary differences were extreme...Guilders...Francs. Passage to either side these days is marked by a gatepost which is usually manned. We were never stopped. We rented a car and drove around the whole of the island, which at that time was much less crowded than it is now.

We've been there a number of times since. These days the Euro and the dollar are no problem to use there.

We always head for Orient Beach.

The island is divided. Easy to find whole history of St. Maarten / St. Martin on the internet. My first trip there was in 1985. At that time the monetary differences were extreme...Guilders...Francs. Passage to either side these days is marked by a gatepost which is usually manned. We were never stopped. We rented a car and drove around the whole of the island, which at that time was much less crowded than it is now.

We've been there a number of times since. These days the Euro and the dollar are no problem to use there.

We always head for Orient Beach.

Orient Beach is very nice, beautiful. My husband and I went parasailing there. Can rent chairs, umbrellas, etc. The left side of the beach (if you are facing the water) is more suitable for families. The very far right of the beach is the nude beach section. You will get some topless bathers that wander over to the other side. But, it didn't seem like a big deal. Any taxi will take you there, and there are always some waiting to bring people back to the ship. Can't remember the price, but it musn't have been too expensive, or it would have stuck with me.

Orient Beach is very nice, beautiful. My husband and I went parasailing there. Can rent chairs, umbrellas, etc. The left side of the beach (if you are facing the water) is more suitable for families. The very far right of the beach is the nude beach section. You will get some topless bathers that wander over to the other side. But, it didn't seem like a big deal. Any taxi will take you there, and there are always some waiting to bring people back to the ship. Can't remember the price, but it musn't have been too expensive, or it would have stuck with me.

The reason you will see topless women on all sections of Orient beach (and all beaches on the French side) is because the entire length of all French-side beaches follow the French custom of (optional) topless sunbathing. The topless women are not necessarily "wandering" over from Club Orient. You're right that it really isn't a big deal; it's simply a different custom than what many are used to. Also, toplessness and even nudity and "suitable for families" aren't mutually exclusive. It depends entirely on the specific family. It's unsuitable for many families, but certainly is not unsuitable for the thousands of families around the world who enjoy their own cultures customs of topless or clothing-optional beaches.

If toplessness is an issue, then it's best to avoid the French-side beaches and be cautious about the Dutch side beaches. Topless/nude sunbathing is not as common on the Dutch side, but it is not illegal and is frequently seen on some beaches.

beachchick

Archived