Dress Code On P&O

Noblemount

I honestly dont know why they are so unclear on the dress code rules for each ship. And why on certain ships they are rather particular about dress and on others rather relaxed. it states in the broucher that the dress code of the night applies to all areas of the ship, yet once on board it can be a completely different story.

If it was clearer, which to me nothing is on P&O, then problems like this would not occur.

CK x

Hi Dai

Not all OV cruisers are wanting P and O to change their dress codes and some of us are happy to comply with whatever it is. In fact I'm still considering P and O alongside Fred Olsen for a fjord cruise next spring (I'm trying FO out on a minicruise to Rouen this weekend)

However P and O are not helping anyone by having policies then not sticking to them. They are sending out a lot of mixed messages and this will lead to unhappy passengers.

On a formal night the dress code is formal, why rebel?

Stopgo remembers seeing one person in shorts at the captains welcome party - people remember that one person because they will stand out against the norm -everyone else will be in formal wear.

Kitten, don't miss the lovely 5 course meal in the main restaurant which may include lobster or beef wellington for example just because you won't put on a dress or smart formal trousers and then end up eating in the ss buffet restaurant.

The pando lady explained the rules as everyone sees them, if you can't follow them then perhaps p&o is not for you.

On a formal night the dress code is formal, why rebel?

Stopgo remembers seeing one person in shorts at the captains welcome party - people remember that one person because they will stand out against the norm -everyone else will be in formal wear.

Kitten, don't miss the lovely 5 course meal in the main restaurant which may include lobster or beef wellington for example just because you won't put on a dress or smart formal trousers and then end up eating in the ss buffet restaurant.

The pando lady explained the rules as everyone sees them, if you can't follow them then perhaps p&o is not for you.

But that's not the case, Karen posts clearly that on Aurora in July/August the "shipwide code " was smart casual, with smart casual allowed in the buffet on formal nights. Ventura will be the same if not less formal, it as to be said shorts and vest is not smart casual so shouldn't have been allowed. Sorry to be at odds with you yet again, from her posts Kitten doesn't want to dress for formal if she doesn't feel like it. So what ever the menu it makes no difference, I know the formal nights mean a great deal to you but to others they can ether take them or leave them. Sometimes after a long day you just want the option of not dressing up to the nines and just relaxing.

But that's not the case, Karen posts clearly that on Aurora in July/August the "shipwide code " was smart casual, with smart casual allowed in the buffet on formal nights.

That was my understanding, but apparently I'm wrong:rolleyes:.

I can't prove it - perhaps I did misunderstand, but I don't see the need to say 'this is a formal venue tonight' if the whole ship is formal:confused:;

I will, when I get a chance check my 'daily papers' to see if they clarify it, but I have a feeling my impression came from reading the onboard 'welcome' or 'your ship' (type) booklet/binder.

I enjoy dressing for dinner & enjoy the formality, which is why we tended to stay in the 'formal' areas. & why I am so hazy on the other area.

There were people 'dressed down' (jeans) but they weren't served in the 'formal' areas, seemed the perfect compromise to me.

Karen

(I have also read elsewhere (on another board) that the 24hr dining areas are deemed casual, but there was no supporting evidence with these posts)

I don't have my daily sheets with me but on Aurora they had a notice at the entrance to Andersons requiring formal dress on formal nights. Now if it was really ship ride that would have been unnecessary.

On Oceana, while some people were wearing Tux in the Plaza they were in the minority. We were however talking of less than 2 dozen in all.

In the dining room, while our table of 8 was fully compliant, on the table for 6 behind us the men all removed their jackets and bow ties. I cannot think why they bothered to dress.

On Celebrity we saw a young man pulled up for not wearing a jacket; he was allowed in as his jacket was on his chair.

On P&O, OTOH, they set rules but do not seem to police them. In a responsible society it is up to the passengers to conform rather than have style police on patrol. [We wish they would police sunbeds though :)]

As for someone at head office saying one thing but the ship saying another - HO sets the rules whereas the Captain is the one that has discretion.

I will, when I get a chance check my 'daily papers' to see if they clarify it,

I have now found the relevant paragraph

From 'horizon' the daily paper for 17th July 2009 (embarkation day)

Dress Code

Please note that the ‘dress code’ notice in horizon every day applies to the Medina and Alexandria restaurants and also Crow’s Nest and Andersons bars after 6pm. The dress requirement in the nightly Orangery Buffet is ‘smart casual’. We ask that gentlemen refrain from wearing sports vests, other vests or sleeveless shirts whilst attending any restaurant or buffet meal

admittedly it doesn't mention the other venues

As for someone at head office saying one thing but the ship saying another -

exactly, cos then I found

From 'Your Holiday Information' (sent* approx 6 weeks prior to embarkation)

When on board the daily newspaper details the dress codes for each evening which are encouraged throughout the ship from 6pm and to ensure that we can maintain the unique atmosphere we kindly ask that you adhere to these

So who knows! :rolleyes::confused:

(There is no similar statement in in the Oceana paper of 2005)

I've been reading this with some interest over the last few days and was amazed that one of you said the dress code is from 6!??

Just wondered what happens to people wandering back to their cabins after six who have been in the gym or sunbathing/ swimming - do you get people with towels around them in the lifts next to people in ball gowns.:D

I'm amazed with the amount of Cruises that have taken this year by people on this site, nobody as come back with a definate answer to the dresscode question. Logic would dictate that you don't dress up in a Dinner Suit to eat in the 24 hr buffet restaurant, the fact that the buffet is open 24hr would suggest it's Casual Dinning.

I'm amazed with the amount of Cruises that have taken this year by people on this site, nobody as come back with a definate answer to the dresscode question. Logic would dictate that you don't dress up in a Dinner Suit to eat in the 24 hr buffet restaurant, the fact that the buffet is open 24hr would suggest it's Casual Dinning.

Be carefull stopgo, your statement might be treated as an outbreak of common sense - you know that's not allowed:D

Stopgo, you can't get any more definitive than the fact that Formal Dining applies throughout the ship except where it doesn't or where it states specifically that you must.:D

Rephrase the answer. Dress formally the first night and then see what everyone else is doing.

I'm in agreement play it by ear, I just don't understand why in the amount of time these various threads about formalwear have been going, that somebody as not returned from holiday and posted the revelent information.

I just dont like the idea of it being told that the dress of the night is "shipwide" and then being on board and finding out it's not. Would be so much easier if they did what pretty much every other cruise line did, except the likes of Cunard and Silver Seas, where the buffet is casual.

Who honestly would feel like a complete ninny stood in a tux or dress with a plastic tray in there hands choosing there meal off the buffet? I'll raise my hand to that...

CK x

I posted an email from P&O that said exactly the same, Buffet = smart casual but in other places it says ''all areas apply the dress code''.I don't know what to say, part of me says yes, common sense tells us we don't want to stand at a buffet in full evening dress but also do we want to go to the theatre or other bars when people there are dressed in jeans & a tee shirt?

I just dont like the idea of it being told that the dress of the night is "shipwide" and then being on board and finding out it's not.

a tux or dress with a plastic tray in there hands choosing there meal off the buffet? I'll raise my hand to that...

CK x

If it is Oceana worry not. No trays.

Quite agree though CK but I would guarantee that if you went smart casual to the buffet, effectively 'above decks' you would not be in the minority nor anyone bat an eye.

While they expect passengers to conform without policing they recognise that you are paying for a holiday and provided your enjoyment does not affect others then laisez faire exists.

Archived