Is there any way to trim the silicon on the masks? Also brand for Rx masks...

Took the kiddos snorkeling for the first time last night, just in the shallow end of the local pool. Thankfully, they easily took to it and I had to pry the masks off of their little faces when it was time to go home, LOL.

Now, the problem is the fit of the masks. My son's head is huge, so the child size masks's strap had to be so loose that the mask didn't seal right (plus, it wasn't a great brand to begin with, as the snorkel that came with it also leaked, LOL). So he was using a larger sized mask, but the bottom of the silicon of the mask was so wide, it almost went right to his upper lip, which made getting the snorkel in there comfortably a real challenge, LOL.

I was wondering if it was at all feasible to trim the silicon a bit or not. I mean, obviously it's workable, but not real comfortable (and we plan on taking a few snorkel excursions on our upcoming cruise) and I'd prefer some discomfort over a leaky mask.

Also wondering about reliable and cost-effective brands/websites for Rx masks...it's for my 9 year old, so I don't anticipate using it much- between our infrequency of cruising and her Rx changing before our next trip (which is why I'd rather not drop a large chunk of change on it), but don't want something crappy quality, either.

Thanks!

Also wondering about reliable and cost-effective brands/websites for Rx masks...it's for my 9 year old, so I don't anticipate using it much- between our infrequency of cruising and her Rx changing before our next trip (which is why I'd rather not drop a large chunk of change on it), but don't want something crappy quality, either.

Thanks!

We bought our gear in advance for our Hawaii trip on-line from Snorkel Mart ( http://www.snorkel-mart.com/). I bought a prescription mask and it was great. They have good prices and our gear was made in the USA, so we felt good about stimulating the economy.

Here's a close up of my mask: Hawaii Olympus376 You can also click through and see some of our fish pictures there too.

The best mask on the market is the one that fits your face. I would not recommend buying off the internet until I've tried it on. When buying an RX mask, but quality name brand because it is difficult to change the lens as your eyes change. The cheaper brands are not made well enough to change the lens more than once.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Find a local dive shop. I purchased my daughter a Rx mask there and if the Rx changes, we just pop out the old lenses and put in the new ones. Also, they have straps with velcro which might help. If you can't find a local dive shop. Go to diver-supply.com. That is who I use for all my scuba/snorkeling gear.

Just purchased a RX mask at our local SportChalet's dive shop. Not an exact prescription, but there are three strengths to choose from. The middle strength RX for nearsightedness is set at -2.25 to -4.00. It cost $60.

Archived