Rum Point Update

rustymerle

For anyone inquiring about Rum Point ... the Hyatt folks informed our travel agent yesterday that the Wreck Bar and Grill and Red Sail Watersports are operational and available for enjoyment at Rum Point. We are welcome to use the facilities except for the Beach Suites. Those are reserved for Hyatt registered guests.

The ferry is not currently operational. Although the devastation from the hurricane is evident, traveling to Rum Point by car is safe since all the roads have been cleared.

For those renting cars, as we are, thought this may be of interest. If Rum Point was not operational, we would cancel the car and head to 7 mile beach for the day. This way, we can enjoy both Rum Point and 7 mile beach.

Can’t wait!

Linda and Michael

(Silver Whisper ... scheduled for Grand Cayman 24 December)

Have you been able to get confirmation on a car yet? I tried to rent one for we will be in GC on 1/22. I tried through grandcaymancruiseexcursions website. The email response I got was that they expected to be able to start renting cars mid-dec, but avis had not yet let them hold reservations. I was told to email back in a couple weeks.

p.s. You will love Rum Point! It is awesome! Last time we did the stingray snorkel through Red Sail's Rum Point Location. We drove over there so we could stop and see the sights along the way....blowholes, wreck of 10 sails and many other lookout points. The beach there is awesome and not crowded at all!

There is a short way and a long way. We took the long way to get there so we could drive around the whole east side. We stopped at various lookouts, etc.... and it took us about an hour and 15 minutes. We took the short way back, which cuts across the island, and it took a little over 30 minutes.

Vossjemi ... After researching the car situation by using cruisecritics and other resources, I sent e-mail requests to every car rental company on Grand Cayman I could find. Many replied saying they did not have cars available. Try Andy's. The website address is http://www.andys.ky. Since you are getting so close, it may be difficult to secure a car, but it is worth trying. Good luck.

This is my second trip to Caymans, but my husband's first. Rum Point is one of my favorite spots, so I really wanted to share it with my husband. If I am not mistaken, the car trip to Rum Point from Georgetown takes anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on how fast you drive and how many stops you make on the way.

Vossjemi ... After researching the car situation by using cruisecritics and other resources, I sent e-mail requests to every car rental company on Grand Cayman I could find. Many replied saying they did not have cars available. Try Andy's. The website address is www.andys.ky. Since you are getting so close, it may be difficult to secure a car, but it is worth trying. Good luck.

This is my second trip to Caymans, but my husband's first. Rum Point is one of my favorite spots, so I really wanted to share it with my husband. If I am not mistaken, the car trip to Rum Point from Georgetown takes anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on how fast you drive and how many stops you make on the way.

Does Andy's have pickup near the pier?

I saw that. So, I guess that means I'd have to get myself to the 7 mile location. I guess I'm still hoping I can rent from GCCE as they pick up at the pier (blue iguanas) and take you to their airport location. If it doesn't work out, we may just end up with a beach day.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived