St. George's Walking Tour with Town Crier

tears

We will be in Bermuda the week of June 7 and want to do the tour/walk with the town crier in St. George's. Has anyone done this? I believe it is done on Wednesdays and Saturday. Thanks for any info/help.

MAT

Does this relate to what you are talking about? It is probably completely different, but still interesting. I found some old information that it occurs only on Wednesday and Saturday, but the BermudaTourism site indicates it happens every day but Sunday this year? This doesn't talk about a tour, though, so I would appreciate any information on that. Thank you!

St. George’s Historical Re-Enactment - 2009

May 23, 25 - 30, June 1 - 6, 8 - 13, 15 - 20, 22 - 27, 29 - 30, July 1 - 4, 6 - 11, 13 - 18, 20 - 25, 27 - 31, August 1, 3 - 8, 10 - 15, 17 - 22, 24 - 29, 31, September 1 - 5, 7 - 12, 14 - 19, 21 - 26, 28 - 30, October 1 - 3, 5 - 10, 12 - 17, 19 - 24, 26 - 31, November 2 - 7, 9 - 14, 16 - 21, 2009 12:00noon

King’s Square, Town of St. George

Cultural Events: A light-hearted, historical re-enactment of public punishment including a ducking of a nagging wench. This event also takes place Tuesday evenings during St. George's Market Nights.

Admission: Free

Enquiries: Corporation of St. George, 5 Ordnance Island, St. George’s, tel 441 297 1532, Town Crier at 441 297 1805 or 441 337 1577

'muder,

This is what the OP is talking about, totally different than what you found. It's offered as an excursion by NCL.

St. George's Candlelight Walk

Join the former Town Crier for an enchanting candlelight tour of 17th century St. George's. Take advantage of Bermuda's cooler evening temperatures as you leisurely stroll along narrow lanes once roamed by rogues and rumrunners. Specially crafted authentic 18th century handheld lanterns will light your way on this fascinating and easy walking tour.

Here's the re-enactment they're talking about.

'muder,

This is what the OP is talking about, totally different than what you found. It's offered as an excursion by NCL.

St. George's Candlelight Walk

Join the former Town Crier for an enchanting candlelight tour of 17th century St. George's. Take advantage of Bermuda's cooler evening temperatures as you leisurely stroll along narrow lanes once roamed by rogues and rumrunners. Specially crafted authentic 18th century handheld lanterns will light your way on this fascinating and easy walking tour.

Here's the re-enactment they're talking about.

That explains my problem. I only glanced at NCL's excursions since I didn't expect to take any in Bermuda. And since I dock in KW, not sure it is offered to me, but I'll check. Thank you so much!!!

Iheart, do you know if this is still done Wednesdays or if this is out of date? I love the law and history, so this would be perfect. It seems like the same thing, but also mentions convening the Tribunal so I'm wondering if that's the part that is only done 2 days a week (just before the ducking at noon)?

Historical Tribunal Reenactment

Go back in time, as the local

Town Crier reads out the News of the Day and convenes a Tribunal,

in an amusing Historical Reenactment of punishment in days past.

Tribunal Hours

May-Oct

Wed and Thurs 11:45am

Nov-Apr

Wed and Sat 11:45am

Iheart, do you know if this is still done Wednesdays or if this is out of date? I love the law and history, so this would be perfect. It seems like the same thing, but also mentions convening the Tribunal so I'm wondering if that's the part that is only done 2 days a week (just before the ducking at noon)?

I can't say for sure since we eat breakfast early and "head for the hills" so we're never around at that time. You might look for a Majesty Roll Call and ask someone there to check it out for you. Some of the Bermuda tourism sites are not current so I wouldn't completely count on something I read there.

One of our FAVORITE things in St. George is the Beating Retreat with the Bermuda Regiment Band and the Bermuda Islands Pipe Band and Dancers that is held on Wed. nights. It's Bermuda pagentry at it's best. Last year by dumb luck, we ended up in front row seats, (most everyone has to stand) directly behind the Opposition Leader, Kim Swan who we met and talked with afterwards, picture with as well:D...a delightful gentleman.

Apparently, it's held in Hamilton and Dockyard on other nights. However, it is not held every week, just once a month. I guess we have just been lucky to hit the right week. I looked at the Bermuda Govt. web site for cutural affairs and the only schedule they have for the Beating Retreat is for 2007...see what I mean?:(

regiment.jpg

bagpipes.jpg

I can't say for sure since we eat breakfast early and "head for the hills" so we're never around at that time. You might look for a Majesty Roll Call and ask someone there to check it out for you. Some of the Bermuda tourism sites are not current so I wouldn't completely count on something I read there.

One of our FAVORITE things in St. George is the Beating Retreat with the Bermuda Regiment Band and the Bermuda Islands Pipe Band and Dancers that is held on Wed. nights. It's Bermuda pagentry at it's best. Last year by dumb luck, we ended up in front row seats, (most everyone has to stand) directly behind the Opposition Leader, Kim Swan who we met and talked with afterwards, picture with as well:D...a delightful gentleman.

Apparently, it's held in Hamilton and Dockyard on other nights. However, it is not held every week, just once a month. I guess we have just been lucky to hit the right week. I looked at the Bermuda Govt. web site for cutural affairs and the only schedule they have for the Beating Retreat is for 2007...see what I mean?:(

regiment.jpg

bagpipes.jpg

Thank you. We were either going to go to SG on Wednesday or Friday so I think we'll go on Wed and see what we see. I just read something about the schedule for the Beating Retreat - now I just have to remember where and find out if we can see it - I love a recommendation. We will be thrilled just to be back in Saint George so anything more will be gravy. Thanks for your help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Does anyone have updated information on St. George's candlelight tour? Everything I find on the web seems outdated.

We took the Candlelight tour and I didn't think it was worth it. The tour, which only covered a few blocks, primarily focused on Bermuda's only perfume factory and St. Peter's Church. The perfume samples smell great but scent on my wrists were gone in 1/2 an hour.

By the way, NC: charges about $29 if you book it in advance on line and about $35 on the cruise ship.

Archived