Diving in Costa Mayan ??

dirvin0500

Has anyone dove Cost Maya recently? We are going there towards the end of the year and saw pictures from after the hurricane last year.

Has it been rebuilt? How bad did the reef suffer? Is it worth the money?

Should we go through the ship or can anyone recommend a private operator there?

I know, a lot of questions, sorry !!

Your help would most appreciated.......:confused:

I dove with Dreamtime, albeit four years ago, and had a very different opinion than that expressed over on Scubaboard. Yes, their boats are small and their operation is fairly primitive (as are most things in Costa Maya). However, when I was there they gave very thorough dive briefings had high quality equipment and most importantly great diving. Surface intervals and space on the boat weren't really an issue as the dive sites are all very close to the shop so they returned their between dives for the SI and to change out tanks. The people were also very helpful and friendly. It is obviously quite possible things have changed considerably since I was there (for one thing the name has - it used to be called Blue Ha) but I had a very positive experience there. If you want to read my review click here.

In Dec. 08, my husband and I went with Ken at the Maya Palms Resort. We took a taxi down (about 30 minutes) and arrived to find much activity at the resort to get it ready for the holiday guests. I had paid for diving, lunch and drinks and lounging at the resort after the diving. They weren't quite ready for guests, but Pedro made us a terrific lunch and the owners were absolutely delightful. Oh, we were the only 2 divers that day and Ken was great. Yes, the diving isn't the greatest, but any day diving is good to us. It turned out to be the best day of the cruise away from the crowds and so relaxing. You can search the Costa Maya threads and search for Maya Palms for more opinions.

Archived