Saint John Souvenirs :)

I would love some recommendations from Saint John, New Brunswick locals or previous visitors, in regards to unique souvenirs. I love getting souvenirs when I travel but I don't care much for the mass-produced stuff ... like shot glasses, t-shirts, etc. Maybe there is a shop or store off the beaten path with lots of unique treasures that many don't know about due to the location? I love anything handmade and of great quality! All suggestions welcomed! Thanks :)

I would love some recommendations from Saint John, New Brunswick locals or previous visitors, in regards to unique souvenirs. I love getting souvenirs when I travel but I don't care much for the mass-produced stuff ... like shot glasses, t-shirts, etc. Maybe there is a shop or store off the beaten path with lots of unique treasures that many don't know about due to the location? I love anything handmade and of great quality! All suggestions welcomed! Thanks :)

You could try Aitkens Pewter which is located just as you enter Brunswick Square from the pedway system. Aitkens is a very respected New Brunswick business of long standing. Among other things, they produce lovely Christmas decorations with some of the landmark buildings in Saint John depicted in relief on the front. They also have some of these matted and set in small metal frames. If you don't see the piece you like framed they will have it done for you. All of the items are made here in New Brunswick. They also produce serving pieces, jewellrey, candle holders, etc. I often buy pieces there for wedding or Christmas presents.

www.aitkenspewter.com

You could try Aitkens Pewter which is located just as you enter Brunswick Square from the pedway system. Aitkens is a very respected New Brunswick business of long standing. Among other things, they produce lovely Christmas decorations with some of the landmark buildings in Saint John depicted in relief on the front. They also have some of these matted and set in small metal frames. If you don't see the piece you like framed they will have it done for you. All of the items are made here in New Brunswick. They also produce serving pieces, jewellrey, candle holders, etc. I often buy pieces there for wedding or Christmas presents.

www.aitkenspewter.com

I am a HUGE fan of pewter! In fact, my two favorite Christmas ornaments are made of pewter. Thanks for the info! I'm sure I will be visiting Aitkens Pewter! :)

Now I'm off to visit their website :D Thanks again!

In the City Market we bought a small maple leaf that vendor said he hand painted from dried mud from the Bay of Fundy. We used it as a Christmas ornament.

Wow that sounds really cool! Would you happen to have a picture of it? I love anything handmade and unique!

:)just spoke with aikin pewter and they advised me that both of their stores Halifax and St.John will have additional locations this year in tents at the dock for cruise passengers. Yes, this is new for them under tents

:)just spoke with aikin pewter and they advised me that both of their stores Halifax and St.John will have additional locations this year in tents at the dock for cruise passengers. Yes' date=' this is new for them under tents[/quote']

That is awesome! Thanks for the info!

I would also recommend the gift shop at the New Brunswick Museum in Market Square (you don't have to pay museum entrance fee to shop). They have a good variety of locally made pottery, jewellery and lots of other interesting items - nothing "souvenir-ish".

I would also recommend the gift shop at the New Brunswick Museum in Market Square (you don't have to pay museum entrance fee to shop). They have a good variety of locally made pottery, jewellery and lots of other interesting items - nothing "souvenir-ish".

Thanks :) I will check it out. Do you know if they have any blown glass items?

I would love to hear of more things my group should do/try while in Saint John. We have a tour booked but I plan to also do some things on our own and anything in/near the City Market that you all consider a "must" for any tourist, please let me know! Even better... if you know of something off the beaten path, so to speak, that most tourist don't see due to lack of advertisement or location, I'd love to know about it! Thanks... I really appreciate the ideas so far. :)

Okay, I looked up "Dulse" and I found a photo of some fresh dulse at the City Market in Saint John. I will be completely honest... it does not look too appetizing lol. HOWEVER, I am willing to try almost anything once :)

LOL - dulse is an acquired taste (and a taste I acquired at an early age when I lived in Saint John). I still make a beeline for the City Market to buy some every time I visit....I have just returned from a recent visit with a fresh supply. It is different...and something you are unlikely to see anywhere else.

LOL - dulse is an acquired taste (and a taste I acquired at an early age when I lived in Saint John). I still make a beeline for the City Market to buy some every time I visit....I have just returned from a recent visit with a fresh supply. It is different...and something you are unlikely to see anywhere else.

Hmmmm... well I have been accused of enjoying things most people would never try, so maybe I will like it LOL. Maybe I should get some to send to my family and see what they think, as well ;)

I've been looking at lots of different Saint John websites tonight and I am totally in love with the city already! I simply cannot wait to visit... and I'm sure I won't want to leave once I get there! lol

Dulse is popular in Northern Ireland as well, for the record.

Dulse is popular in Northern Ireland as well, for the record.

That is something I did not know-----very interesting. I love dulse but I think it is something you have to learn to like as a child. I also like to buy the softer stuff they sell in sealed bags in the grocery store rather than the crispy dulse that is left open to the air in the market.

It goes down well with a beer and has therapeutic effects as well. It is great for a sore throat and let's just say it cleans you out.;)

That is something I did not know-----very interesting. I love dulse but I think it is something you have to learn to like as a child. I also like to buy the softer stuff they sell in sealed bags in the grocery store rather than the crispy dulse that is left open to the air in the market.

It goes down well with a beer and has therapeutic effects as well. It is great for a sore throat and let's just say it cleans you out.;)

Sounds like another "super-food"... like brussel sprouts :)... which I happen to love, by the way lol

Archived