Anyone just off Serenade Alaskan Cruise?

Just wondering how the Alaskan season started off. We also heard a new Concierge is aboard named Rahul Barua while Kenneth is off for 6 weeks.

How was Murder Mystery Dinner? Worth it?

This is our first cruise with RCI and also to Alaska.

We leave this Saturday so I am excited to hear what the lasts weeks have been like!

Thanks!

Just wondering how the Alaskan season started off. We also heard a new Concierge is aboard named Rahul Barua while Kenneth is off for 6 weeks.

We leave this Saturday so I am excited to hear what the lasts weeks have been like!

Thanks!

I´ll wave at you when you get off:cool:

Nicole, Vintage Hammer is supposed to come report on our roll call when he gets to a computer. I'm sure he'll live up to that promise since I'm certain he knows you and I and the rest of our roll call are anxious for information.

Nicole, Vintage Hammer is supposed to come report on our roll call when he gets to a computer. I'm sure he'll live up to that promise since I'm certain he knows you and I and the rest of our roll call are anxious for information.

Yes...I'm just overly impatient and very excited! :p

Thanks!

Just off the Serenade yesterday. I'm happy to report that the Alaska season started great! As a matter of fact, it's going to be hard to beat the weather that we had last week. A little cool on the balconies but clear skies and smooth sailing with temperature in the 60's and 70's all week.

Rahul has been around for awhile and does an excellent job. His contract ends in mid-July and he will be moving to the Freedom when he returns. Kenneth will be returning to the Serenade in July.

I didn't attend the Murder Mystery but some of the other cruisers did and seemed to enjoy it.

If you have any other questions, I'll try to answer as many as I can.

Tom

Tom,

Can you give us a "mini review" of everything??? (sorry if I'm asking way too much!) :eek:

How about a little run down of the usual:

food? (which nights were formal?)(any menu items you can share?)

ports- (saw weather was nice but do we need-jackets-kind-of-weather or not?)

best places to spot whales, any other animals from ship?

how were the shows, if you saw any?

were there many kids on board?

hours/times of daylight?

which, if any, excursions did you do?

ok- sorry if I'm overasking! We are counting down the days and just can't wait!

Glad to hear you seemed to enjoy your cruise. :)

Nicole

Tom,

Can you give us a "mini review" of everything??? (sorry if I'm asking way too much!) :eek:

How about a little run down of the usual:

food? (which nights were formal?)(any menu items you can share?)

ports- (saw weather was nice but do we need-jackets-kind-of-weather or not?)

best places to spot whales, any other animals from ship?

how were the shows, if you saw any?

were there many kids on board?

hours/times of daylight?

which, if any, excursions did you do?

I'm not very good at the review thing but I'll do my best.

Formal nights were Sunday and Thursday. Lobster tails (Fisherman's Plate) was served on the second formal night. We ate in Portofino's and Chop's a couple of the nights and since I love all foods the menu's tend to run together in my mind. I do know that they served my wife's favorites - the Vidalia Onion Tart and the Beef & Veal Tortellacci.

You will definitely need some kind of a wind/water proof jacket on most days. Tracy Arm Fjord was quite cool as we got closer to the glacier and if you want to spend any time on the deck or your balcony you will want a jacket. As for the rest of your wardrobe it will really depend on your personal tolerance for cool weather. My wife wore about 5 layers of clothing while I was comfortable in a long-sleeved shirt most of the time. If you do one of the whale watching cruises then you need to dress warmer if you want to spend time on the open-air observation deck.

In my opinion, the best spots for whale/wildlife spotting on board were a) Viking Crown because of the panoramic views, b) Schooner Bar, and c) my balcony. The last two were good but limited my view to one side of the ship.

The production shows (Stage to Screen and Vibeology) were on the two formal nights. We didn't go to them this cruise because we had just seen them about 6 months ago but we loved them the first time we saw them. I don't know if the headliners will be the same but if magician Chad Chesmark is there try to catch his show.

There weren't too many kids on board this cruise but I imagine that those numbers will go up as summer vacations start. Sunrise was about 4:30 and sunset around 9:30.

We took the White Pass and Yukon Railroad in Skagway and did the Whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. I hesitate to make recommendations about excursions since peoples tastes vary so much but we thought both of these were excellent choices.

I hope this helps.

Tom

and a PS to you Tom-

your "review" was just fine!

Would love to read any others that are now home from this trip. Anyone use the My Time Dining last week?

Nicole

We were on the Alaska repo from San Francisco. The Murder mystery was enjoyable. Not Broadway level acting, but a fun evening. Very good food and plenty of wine.

Serende is a beautiful ship and great for Alaska. The service was excellent and the crew was one of the best we have seen. Unfortunatly it looks like this will be the last Alaska season for Serenade.

I hope someone can answer what people wore on the smart casual nights on Serenade. Are nice jeans or nice cotton blend slacks ok? Leaving on June 6th-hurray!

I'll answer, in case nobody else is around. I haven't sailed the Alaska itinerary yet, but smart casual on Serenade and her sister ships usually involved chinos or Docker-style pants for the many of the men. I don't recall seeing many jeans in the dining room, except on the first night (which was before luggage arrived and casual).

Jane

Archived