How far past exp date are disposable cameras still good?

I think I would trust something just a few months past expiration date, like you listed. But expiration date (on a film camera disposable, right?) is dependant on how the camera/film is stored. Kept in the back of a hot car for the summer - won't last until expiration date. Purchased right away, and kept in a refrigerator - probably good a while past expiration date.

Did you purchase these, and carry them on-ship once, kept in a hot climate for a while? Debatable. The problem is that problems start slow, and are cumulative. It's a color-shift thing. Heat excaberates any problems.

The other thing to keep in mind is how the product was cared for before you purchsed it. That's a crap shoot. Maybe good, maybe not.

Kathy

Kathy's points were well made. I'll add that I have shot film that was a couple of years past it's time and it worked fine. It was stored in a cool(ish) part of the house before it was exposed.

My 2¢...

If you are spending a large amount of money on a cruise and want to return with some nice photos, pony up the bucks for a few new disposables. For that matter, an investment in a good inexpensive digital camera might save you money in the long run.

Here's an article I wrote on film vs. digital:

http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/FilmVsDigital.htm

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise!

Dave

Pierces is correct: keeping film in any form cool extends its life.

Back when I was still shooting film, I would by it in 24 packs and throw it in the freezer. I have successfully used frozen film as old as 3 years past the expiration date!!

I also agree that you may be better off buying a digital camera. On our trips to Europe I would take 36 rolls and shoot most of it. I would then pay $250-$300 to get it all developed. As soon as digital prices came down to below $500, I got a digital (Sony 707).

Last summer, right after we retired and before we moved, I donated 2 camera bodies, 3 lenses and dozens of filters to a local high school photography club: I didn't shoot film anymore.

Glenn:cool:

http://www.pbase.com/gsrunyan:D

Archived