Progresso with Kids

mtslone

We will be in progress in about 6 weeks on the Ecstasy. Last time we were on this boat, it went to Playa, so Progresso is new for us. :confused:

There will be 4 adults and 3kids (2 six year olds and a two year old...:eek:). Reading the postings, I am having trouble figuring out what to do at this port with the kids. I don't think they are old enough to enjoy the ruins. We have gone on a fair amount of cruises, and tend to not book through the ship, since it is typically overinflated costs. Any suggestions on where the best place to go with the kids?

Thanks for the help.

I think the best options for the sake of the kiddos is either the Progreso beach and enjoy the very good food from the beachside restaurants or to book a visit to the all-inclusive Reef Yucatan and book at the pier. Keep in mind that a few visitors to the all-inclusive May, repeat MAY drink alot and their behavior may not be appropriate for your children in your opinion. If considering a visit to Merida, keep in mind that the sidewalks are generally too narrow to use a stroller.

We will be in progress in about 6 weeks on the Ecstasy. Last time we were on this boat, it went to Playa, so Progresso is new for us. :confused:

There will be 4 adults and 3kids (2 six year olds and a two year old...:eek:). Reading the postings, I am having trouble figuring out what to do at this port with the kids. I don't think they are old enough to enjoy the ruins. We have gone on a fair amount of cruises, and tend to not book through the ship, since it is typically overinflated costs. Any suggestions on where the best place to go with the kids?

Thanks for the help.

We went to Progreso in April and did the Dzibilchaltun ruins tour through autoprogreso. My 6 and 7 year old boys loved the trip to the ruins. The drive is not far, about 25 minutes in the bus. I thought the ruins were big enough...I found them interesting.

The boys loved climbing all over them and swimming in the cenote (sink hole). If the six year olds are active (play sports, swim, climb stuff) then I think they'd enjoy the trip to Dzibil. If they aren't climbers and swimmers then I'd do something else.

The tour lasted from about 10:15 until 1:45. The cost was $29 per adult and $19 per child.....they didn't charge us for one of the children.

To the other poster asking about 10 and 14 year olds......they'd be able to handle this tour without a problem if you are interested in seeing some ruins.

We enjoyed the tour. It was inexpensive and didn't require a long bus ride like the other ruins tours. Plus, it was an educational experiance for the kids (and adults).

You can just wait until you get to the market to book it.

• 4 weeks later...
We went to Progreso in April and did the Dzibilchaltun ruins tour through autoprogreso. My 6 and 7 year old boys loved the trip to the ruins. The drive is not far, about 25 minutes in the bus. I thought the ruins were big enough...I found them interesting.

The boys loved climbing all over them and swimming in the cenote (sink hole). If the six year olds are active (play sports, swim, climb stuff) then I think they'd enjoy the trip to Dzibil. If they aren't climbers and swimmers then I'd do something else.

The tour lasted from about 10:15 until 1:45. The cost was $29 per adult and $19 per child.....they didn't charge us for one of the children.

To the other poster asking about 10 and 14 year olds......they'd be able to handle this tour without a problem if you are interested in seeing some ruins.

We enjoyed the tour. It was inexpensive and didn't require a long bus ride like the other ruins tours. Plus, it was an educational experiance for the kids (and adults).

You can just wait until you get to the market to book it.

We took our 6 year old with us in December to the same ruins. She LOVED them!!! We went to market first and shopped and she danced in the courtyard with the band. (Give her some music and she's dancing.) The ruins are a fantastic educational tour for kids and the cenote is fun, too. Although she wouldn't even put her feet in because she was afraid of the tiny fish getting her toes. lol She could tell me more about the Myans than I could remember. She also loved climbing all over everything. It was a well worth the cost. I don't think they charged us for her either, but don't quote me because I've slept since then.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW $19 for kids I have never seen that rate, just the $29. I have a 7 and 8 yr old we were thinking of doing it with, we leave next week, July 20th. Did you book thru AutoProgresso once you got off the ship??? Also did you just bring a bag with towels and change of clothes for the kids so they could swim?

Archived