SJB Nova Scotia weather in September

We are planning a cruise to Canada in September and will be stopping at SJB, New Brunswick . I know weather can change, can anyone provide info about what it is typically like at that time of year? What is the foliage like at that time?

Thanks.

We are planning a cruise to Canada in September and will be stopping at SJB, New Brunswick . I know weather can change, can anyone provide info about what it is typically like at that time of year? What is the foliage like at that time?

Thanks.

I'm not too sure what you mean by SJB but Saint John is the only cruise ship stop in New Brunswick.

September is a lovely month here. The fog of summer is mostly gone and we have some nice sunny weather. The mornings will be crisp and cool,--- early Sept in the mid 60's and late Sept in the high 50's to low 60's.

The afternoon weather in the first two weeks runs in the high 60's to the mid 70's and the last two weeks will be cooler but temps in the low 70's are not unusual.

Evenings in September cool off quickly in the coastal areas and you would want a fleece in early Sept and perhaps put a windbreaker over it in late september.

It is cold at sea around these waters at any time . You would need a jacket in July at sea.

Halifax is not far from here so if you are going there the temperatures would be about the same.

If it is raining you can expect much cooler temps---low 60's or worse unless the rain is a result of the tail end of a hurricane----in which case the temps are quite balmy.

In this area the leaf colours are at their peak around October 10th, so you would not notice much change in early Sept. It would be toward the end before you would see much colour. It varies depending on how early in the season we get the cold nights and frost.

If you are going to be sailing to Quebec, I imagine the leaves change earlier as it is further north but I still don't think there would be much before the third week of Sept---just guessing. I guess I will see for myself as we are sailing out of Quebec City on Sept 26th.

Thanks for the information, I was hoping you might reply. This is our first time cruising anywhere but the caribbean. I love quaint little towns, have only traveled by car to Canada and that was for hockey only, we did no sightseeing.

I think I meant St John's Bay, maybe that's incorrect. I have no idea what we will do there for the day, I have to keep looking at the posts and decide, since it's not just a day that the beach for us. It sounds like it might be a great "fall" day in a new spot, I look forward to visiting.

Just a handy reminder, as they take this seriously down east. Saint John is in New Brunswick. St. John's is in Newfoundland. St. John is in the US Virgin Islands.

Thanks for the information, I was hoping you might reply. This is our first time cruising anywhere but the caribbean. I love quaint little towns, have only traveled by car to Canada and that was for hockey only, we did no sightseeing.

I think I meant St John's Bay, maybe that's incorrect. I have no idea what we will do there for the day, I have to keep looking at the posts and decide, since it's not just a day that the beach for us. It sounds like it might be a great "fall" day in a new spot, I look forward to visiting.

We are located on the Bay of Fundy so that would be your term of reference.

You may find the following links useful.

http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/files/fuse.cfm?section=1

www.cruisesaintjohn.com

You may enjoy a walking tour around the old section of the uptown area. If the walking maps are not handed out by the volunteers who meet the ship you can pick one up at the City Hall tourist information desk located in the pedway system between Market Square and Brunswick Square---within easy walking distance from either dock. I am sure your ship also offers a walking tour and it might be nice as you get the narrative to go along with the visual.

Most of that area lies within the Heritage Preservation area and people who want to renovate their buildings/homes have to follow strict guidelines with regard to maintaining the original stlye of the structures. It is quite a mixture of economic groups as the uptown area has become popular as a place to live again. Some places are lovingly restored and others leave much to be desired. It is a very safe are to wander around in the daytime.

Don't miss the old Saint John City Market (different from Market Square---at the opposite end of the pedway). It is one of my favourite spots. You can grab a very good and inexpensive lunch from one of the stalls there and find a chair somewhere and people watch.

If we are having one of our miserable rainy days you can enter the pedway at Market Square a short walk from either pier. From there you can wander up to Brunswick Square and the City Market. If you exit at the uphill entrance to the market you will see King's Square just across the street and just beyond that is the old Loyalist Burial Grounds.

If you have kids and it is a rainy day, they might enjoy the Canada Games Aquatic Centre. http://www.aquatics.nb.ca/cgac/

It is located in the pedway system. Just take the tunnel to the left at the top of the long escalator which connects Market Square and City Hall. You will see the windows which look down on the pools and the entrance is a little further on down the walkway.

We love our pedway system in the winter. We can park indoors and not have to fight our way uphill on icy sidewalks.

Archived