One big excursion or several small ones??

kjcolv

We are debating between going all out on one excursion, probably helicopter/glacier/dog sled and doing smaller more local things in the other ports (renting a car in Skagway..) or doing something less extravagant but having something in each port. So the question is with limited funds, do you go all out for one thing, or spread it out for more excursions?

Spread out your money and see more things. If you have four people travelling, I would buy two Alaska Toursaver books and be sure to do the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour in Ketchikan and make sure your batteries are charged for lots of pictures. If you spend the $212.00 for the Toursaver books, you'll do the Bering Sea Tour for $336, less if your kids are young.

In Juneau, do the whale watching (4 people with the Toursaver Book will run $253). Ride the Mount Roberts Tramway for $54.00 for a family of four with the Toursaver book). In Skagway, just do the Ranger free tour and maybe a hike. There is a laundrymat close to the boats if you have extra time and need to wash clothes. Skagway is the best port to do it because it is where most boats spend the longest time.

In Victoria, take a cab back and forth to downtown ($8.50 CN each way per carload) and drink tea at The Empress Hotel while you watch the sun set ($5 each). Watch the bands play on the downtown docks and walk around town.

For around $650.00 (plus $200+ for the Toursaver book) you'll see a lot of great things.....then you can sell your books on Ebay when you get home and get half your money back.

Either way, have fun!!

It just depends on what you want. DH and I want to do a tour in every port, so we do smaller ones. But, if you have your heart set on something pricey, do it because you never know if you are going to get to see it again. We are spending 110 bucks (together) to see a dinner show in Anchorage just because there is a sled doggie show afterward. Most of my family thinks I'm crazy to do that, but seeing sled dogs in person is a must for me. But, we are then scrimping in other ports so that we can justify the expense.

Archived