How am I ever going to make it

awinter

This is our first cruise. We normally do all inclusive Caribbean trips but have been talking about cruising for awhile. We finally took the plunge and now I just can't wait! However...we don't sail until 6/8/2010 :eek::eek::eek: How am I ever going to make it that long? I'm obsessed with this board, reading reviews, looking at pictures, and I even dream about it! Boy, do I wish I would have been able to book it for this summer but we just don't have the budget for it. :( I wish I could get it out of my head for another 6 months and then start plannnig! AHHHH!

I totally hear you!!!

We just took our first cruise the end of March and the same as you, usually did the resorts. We now have no desire to do the resorts again and have our next cruise booked for Sept. I wish we had discovered this a long time ago!!!!!! There are no words for how wonderful it is to wake up every day in a different port, a new and exciting place to explore :)

You are gonna love it !!!!!!!!

I, too, feel your pain. We booked our February 2010 cruise in February 2009. I've been driving my husband and son crazy and now our friends have asked if they could join us, so I'm driving them crazy, too.

I wish I could get my mind off of the cruise but I can't seem to do that.

We do have a NASCAR race coming up in July and I'm getting excited about that, seeing the weather is finally nice here in WI. But that cruise is still in the back of my mind. Happy counting.

I love the tickers, I check them every day to watch the number get smaller!! ;)

same here - always did all inclusives and our first cruise is coming up in July- I can't wait!!!

Kids seem excited but my husband is still lukewarm on the idea of cruising- I'm sure he will love it though

The time will pass and before you know it you will be posting a review and planning your next cruise:)

This is our first cruise. We normally do all inclusive Caribbean trips but have been talking about cruising for awhile. We finally took the plunge and now I just can't wait! However...we don't sail until 6/8/2010 :eek::eek::eek: How am I ever going to make it that long? I'm obsessed with this board, reading reviews, looking at pictures, and I even dream about it! Boy, do I wish I would have been able to book it for this summer but we just don't have the budget for it. :( I wish I could get it out of my head for another 6 months and then start plannnig! AHHHH!

Wow I thought I had a bad wait. You win!!:D

The wait can be excruciating, but at least we have cruisecritic to keep us occupied! Just keep researching your ship and ports. Then when you go on the cruise you will be totally prepared! :) The time will be here before you know it! :)

You're right - it seems like it will never get here. i have countdowns everywhere - computer - calendar. since you can't do anything ($ wise) until that cruise use the time to research all your ports, plan what to do, etc. the time will fly by and all of sudden it will be bon voyage time. i usually have at least 2 cruises booked so i have something to look forward to. keeps me going. where is your cruise to and what ports are you visiting, what ship, etc. and i'm sure people will tell you all about that ship and what to do.

I'm a first time cruiser. One year and one month ago, I was in your same waiting situtation. Then I found this cruise forum through Trip Advisor (i love trip advisor) and it's made the time go by so much faster! Great tips, super reviews and wonderful pictures from devoted individuals. I learned so much, things I never would have known. Now i'm counting down the days, less than 60! Woo Hoo.

Have fun.

We will help you get through it. Consider fellow members of CC as your sponsor for your countdown. I booked my cruise over 280 days prior to sailing and I am under 3 weeks out!!!! The time will fly. Soon it will be through winter and spring time next year and you will be 3 months out. Don't Worry!!!

I feel the same way. Our first cruise is less than 6 months away and it seems a lifetime from now. I come to this board everyday to pass the time and learn. We are so excited, DH said the other day that for our 25 instead of our boys through us a party we are going on a cruise. LOL it say we may just be cruising once a year. DS2(16) wants to go on one as well but he has to wait till next yr the first one if for DH and myself. The only vacations we have every done is going camping this will be a huge change of pace.

Like you, we always did all-inclusives in the Caribbean then discovered cruising. We have done a couple of all-inclusives since, but found that overall, we generally prefer cruising. A nice balance might be 3 to 4 cruises for every all-inclusive.

And I have no idea how you're going to wait for another year. Maybe book another cruise to hold you over?

I know exactly what you're going through. I booked 2/08 for a 11/09 sailing. My advice would be to give yourself little assignments/something to look foward to on a monthly basis....make up a time line.

Plus, it's fun and less traumatic to the bank account to buy little "cruise necessities" a few at a time versus blowing $200-$300 on the little stuff (travel sized shampoos, disposable cameras, pepto pills, lanyards, etc.).

Then mark your calendar either by the weeks til you cruise (to make the number look lower, LOL) or mark it every 50 days (200, 150, 100, etc.).

My 5 YO and I made a paper countdown chain using weeks...it's a fun way to start the weekend by taking off another link of the chain.

we booked our next cruise with about that much time left until we sail...now we are about half way there...it goes along pretty quick...until the last few months/weeks:Dstart getting ideas for excursions and pre/post cruise activities. Planning makes the wait a little more fun

I feel your pain. We have until June 20, 2010:eek:. These boards help, not to mention we need all the time to pay, plan and prepare for this cruise.

My 5 YO and I made a paper countdown chain using weeks...it's a fun way to start the weekend by taking off another link of the chain

We did this for our Disney Trip, the kids loved it. We did it by days but sometimes we forgot and that made it even more fun we the kids were able to take off more than one.

I am patiently (ok...maybe not so patiently) counting down our 494 days until our next cruise. But we have several families joining us...so the planning and anticipating just keeps the days flying by. I know before I realize it...we will be disembarking and wondering where the heck all the time went...and then I'll get home and BOOK ANOTHER!

Absolutely love cruising...the kids have a great time...and we get to see so many different places and experience things together as a family. And we have met SO many great people...both here on CC and on the cruises!

Try to find some "speed bumps" along the way - other events that you can use to distract you from the big one. I booked our next cruise about 8 months ahead, and thought it would take forever. Then I focused on regular events - school happenings for the kids, spring holidays, my mom's birthday - and counted the days until those events. As each mini-event passed, it meant another large-ish chunk of time 'til we cruise was gone. Now I'm down to about three months, and I'm wondering if I'll be ready in that little amount of time!

Counting the number of weeks really helps, too. It's completely illogical, but having a smaller number to start with seems to make it more bearable.

Congratulations and happy planning!!!!!

Archived