Valor May 17th Review with lots of PICS

Cej06466

We (my girlfriend, Britt and I, Chris)would really like to share our review of our cruise on the Valor for the week of 5/17-5/24 2009. This was our second cruise on Carnival. Our first being on the Victory’s western Caribbean route. Overall it was an amazing week from our pre-cruise stay in Miami all of the way through the duration of the cruise.

Excuse the small pics thumbnail we have over 700 and would like share as many as possible.

Saturday- Travel and Miami

To begin with we left Rochester NY, the Saturday before the cruise very early to spend the day exploring South Beach. We arrived at our hotel the Clinton Hotel at around noon after cab ride from MIA. It was about 25 minutes and $32. Our room was not ready but we checked our bags and explored South Beach. The beach was about 2 blocks from the hotel and was beautiful but crowded.

After walking around we ended up having lunch at the News Café. The food was pretty good and not too expensive. I had pasta with a pomodoro sauce with fresh basil and chicken, Britt had a bbq chicken sandwich. The tab ended up being around $50 for lunch for two and that included drinks. After lunch we were able to check into the hotel around 3 and took a quick nap. The hotel was a very cool art deco hotel with a very modern lobby and hallways and very small but nice rooms. A quick word of caution for those considering this hotel which we highly recommend, this hotel is not exactly “family friendly” due to the fact that sexy silhouettes on the number plates outside of the rooms and the intimacy kits on the night stands.

After our nap we took about a 15 minute walk to Lincoln Rd. Mall where we explored for a while and then ended up at Van Dykes which was a nice casual dining restaurant, for dinner the atmosphere was great, the food was very good. For 2 with drinks it was around $60. I ordered a chicken, brie and avocado sandwich which was good and Britt had a margarhita pizza and salad which was also very good and cheap!

After dinner on our walk back to the hotel we stopped at a Walgreens and grabbed some cheap champaign and pepsi. And headed back to the hotel to relax and rest up for the big week ahead.

The Pics are as follows

1. Art deco buildings in South beach

2. The beach

3. Our room at the Clinton Hotel

4. Our bathroom at the Clinton Hotel

5. Clinton Hotel facade

DSCN0748.jpg.4462cdc9a60c1b4d141f5e96e6313a29.jpg

DSCN0751.jpg.d9a4509aa8f24c1bcf0486da3459b2d5.jpg

DSCN0761.jpg.6459d5bcb5e45ac7853e6b519766113c.jpg

DSCN0764.jpg.79637abf4634e55c7c4e75f55e7e0e45.jpg

DSCN0776.jpg.aa8706d8ab8f198f5b64383084a824ef.jpg

Sunday- Sail Away

After getting up at about 9am we headed downstairs to the smoothie place next door to the hotel, which was very good. We sat at tables outside the place and enjoyed the gorgeous weather. We then headed back up and had some left over pizza while we packed our stuff up.

We checked out at about 10:30 am and there was a cab waiting when we were ready to go.

We arrived at the Port of Miami at about 10:50 and we were through security and checked in by 11:00. Unlike last year at the same time where there were lines, and people everywhere, it was nearly deserted. They stared calling zones at 11:30 and being in zone 3 we were on board by 11:50.

The ship itself was very pretty, I was a little concerned that the heroes theme would be gaudy but it was overall a pretty ship, however the Victory’s nautical theme did a better job of getting you in the mood for a cruise.

But after boarding we headed up to Lido for a couple Fun Ship specials which tasted much better than we remembered. We then went to explore the buffets which were huge, much bigger than the Victory, and yes the Fish n’ Chips was amazing. However the grill areas only had grilled onions no onion rings, that was kind of a bummer.

After lunch we explored the ship starting with the upper decks and going down and checking out the Promenade deck and the Ivanhoe Theater, which was cool with the castle towers on either side of the stage and the suits of armor all along the walls.

We got into our room at exactly 1:30 and we both though that although it was a balcony like we had on Victory last year it was somewhat larger. It was great to have a room on the Lido deck it certainly cut down on the amount of room service we ordered since all of the buffets are right there. Our room steward Chai was awesome, he came and introduced himself promptly and was very accommodating asking us if there was anything he could to make our cruise better and unlocking the mini bar for us. In our opinion we feel the quality of his work was superior to other stewards we have had on Carnival or other lines.

At exactly at 3:30 we did the muster drill and shortly after we sailed away. We watched from our balcony and then went to the pool area and watched the deck party.

After land disappeared over the horizon we continued to explore the ship, and found our way to the lido buffet again and sampled some of the crème Brule and Britt’s favorite chocolate melting cake.

We had the late dinner seating at 8:15 in the Washington Dining room. Our waiters Howard and Francisco were very attentive and very personable. Our drink waiter Rahampat was not so good, compared to our bar waiter Ketut on the Victory he as awful. Service was slow, his English was not even passable. Even the last night he stilled asked for our Sign and Sail cards unlike last year where we handed him our card once and then did not need it again. He was very pleasant but did not call us by name.

After dinner we attended the welcome show. The Valor Orchestra led by Julian Mindon was very good as were the other entertainers. Big Tex the cruise director was came across as kind of lame. Although he was annoying last year CD, Malcolm was much more entertaining and fun than Tex. The comedian Eddie Capone was OK not great (more on his R rated show on Mondays review).

After the show we took a long walk around the ship and turned for the night.

Pics as follows:

1. Valor from terminal

2. Miami

3. Painting the ship

4. Cabin 9262

5. Cabin 9262

DSCN0778.jpg.b62394c51dc33551f85774ec72844c17.jpg

DSCN0786.jpg.d90c02f12edf5900027503ce3f9ad564.jpg

DSCN0824.jpg.2d6d583f2631dca8736bb0ed5282376b.jpg

DSCN0811.jpg.325ec0dd9290850a7316feb769adf80c.jpg

DSCN0816.jpg.590d70e4f7f3b7b5c8ed54bc89b3b907.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

(To WAcruisers)

I see in your signature that you have cruised in late June (2006). Was this to the Caribbean by any chance? I've never cruised before and preliminary reports say to expect rain for the ENTIRE week in the Western Caribbean. Most weather services say that there is often a solid hour of rain each day, but sunny and "steamy" the other 11 hours of daylight. Did you have any such experience?

A little worried,

Randy

(Digger - 28)

(To WAcruisers)

I see in your signature that you have cruised in late June (2006). Was this to the Caribbean by any chance? I've never cruised before and preliminary reports say to expect rain for the ENTIRE week in the Western Caribbean. Most weather services say that there is often a solid hour of rain each day, but sunny and "steamy" the other 11 hours of daylight. Did you have any such experience?

A little worried,

Randy

(Digger - 28)

Digger...........It did not rain at all. I was very warm and humid, but a great cruise (they are all good :D)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was on this same cruise back in May and it was neat how the people on the Triumph cheered as we past them!! I still can't believe ourHUGE ship turned completely around to head out to sea but it did. More review and pictures please!! It is neat to read someone else's review and get a different perspective :p

Archived