Has anyone Heard anything about Rioting in Belize

Has anyone heard about rioting in Belize. Someone on my boards said that there was rioting in Belize a couple of weeks ago and that Carnival skipped that port because of it and then after that they actually anchored 8 miles off their coast and tendered all the way in and told you to be careful and not to venture on your own. They said that people who went into the city came back very stressed nd thast there were a lot of Army carrying machine guns to protect the tourists.

We are stopping their on our cruise in a couple of weeks and I want to know so I can decide what we're going to do there.

:confused: Haven't heard anything but due to the extensive reef system you always anchor 8 miles off shore and tender. Belize City is also known to not be a nice place like many port cities around the world. It's a beautiful place - but you will get the best experience either getting out into the countryside or visiting one of the offshore islands.

So kind of sounds like a typical day in Belize other than the riots.

The port that Carnival skipped was Isla Roatan and there were not riots. There were demonstrations and a bit of civil unrest, but there was no violence reported.

Carnival is now sailing to Roatan. Go with confidence and have fun!

Archived