Recommendations for Ochos Rios stop

sdel65

Hi all,

I am looking for your advise on what is the best way to spend time in Ocho Rios.

This is my second visit so I'm not interested in the Dun River Falls tour anymore.

I would like to have a very short tour/ride through the city , mostly enjoy the beach.

I have two kids 6 and 13 years old and would like to make sure that the beach would be lovely with no stones, etc...

I heard that one of the beaches is Dolphin Cove’s beach with Shark shows, any other recommendations?

Also for the short tour - it would be interesting to have some unsual perhaps sights.

I've also heard three tour providers names: Marva Shaw, Phil Lafayette or Mark Morris

Are all of them good, any recommendations?

Thank you very much, looking forward to hearing from you!

Sofia

Are you interested in the Plantation? I have heard good things about all of the tour guides you mentioned. My personal experience in April was with Courtney Taylor. I only do private tours I do not like buses he has a clean a/c SUV that fits 7-8 we were a party of 4. He was much less expensive then all the rest including the names you mentioned (I shopped around w/ all the people that had A+ reviews from this site.) You can set up with the tour guide your site seeing & beach time. Let him know what you want & how long in each example I assume you will do site seeing first then beach time. There is a beach right off the port but I have never gone in so I do not know if it is good. You can look at reviews on this site. Best of Luck & Have FUN!

Just back from a tour with Courtney and I have to second all the thumbs up for his tour operation. We were promptly met when leaving the ship, the area was quite well organized and after telling a person from the JTB that we were meeting Courtney we were told where to wait.

We rode in a very nice tour bus. Courtney was very friendly and an excellent tour guide. We had made our own itinerary to Dunn's River Falls, which included a great 1.20 mi hike to a great waterfall fed by an underground spring. Courtney took the guided tour with us and was great for snapping photos of us. Next he took us to a roadside stand where we ate roasted yams, saltfish, breadfruit, and dumplings for lunch. When I mentioned that I was thirsty he knew right where to stop to treat us to coconut water. After that we drove through Fern Gully and met a "The Spice Lady" who showed us various plants and natural remedies he uses. There we ate some more, with Jamacian grapefruit and sugar cane - delicious!

After that we took the final stop on the tour at Wassi Art Pottery works. Then Copurtney dropped us off at Island Village for some shopping. He only chraged us $15pp for the day, I have to say that if you want to really learn something about the culture of Jamaica then going through Courtney's Ocho Rios Tour company will get you that experience.

Try a tour with them, customized or something from their website. You'll have a great time! -ochoriostoursja.com- or e-mai-l courtneytay@yah..com

Thank you everyone, will contact all the tour agents in Ocho Rios.

Perhaps somebody knows why the Dolphin Cove tour is sold through the cruise ship only and is not available at all to the cruise passengers.

The Carnival tours selection has the trip to Dolphin cover but also some other activities I'm not interested in at all. I can not modify them, but nobody agrees to get us admitted to see dolphins if we come with the ship.

Any idea? how to get work around it?

I would like to combine the sight seeing, dolphin cove.

Thank you

Sofia

Thank you everyone, will contact all the tour agents in Ocho Rios.

Perhaps somebody knows why the Dolphin Cove tour is sold through the cruise ship only and is not available at all to the cruise passengers.

The Carnival tours selection has the trip to Dolphin cover but also some other activities I'm not interested in at all. I can not modify them, but nobody agrees to get us admitted to see dolphins if we come with the ship.

Any idea? how to get work around it?

I would like to combine the sight seeing, dolphin cove.

Thank you

Sofia

It's a special deal they have with the cruise line. Keep in mind they will only know that you are from the cruise ship if you tell them. Many go to Dolphin Cove as a part of their land vacation.

I did the Dolphin Cove in Cozumel it was great saved $89.99 pp going direct vs cruise line & met up w/ the cruise line people. The ship wanted $189.pp for the same one I paid $99pp we did the one you swim & interact w/ the dolphin riding on it, the dolphin pushing us like surfing on a boogie board, etc...

Archived