Serenade review -12/4 Southern...

Dharma517

:) Hi, I am a newbie here but wanted to post my experience on the Serenade this last week. We did the Southern Caribbean route. I have only cruised one other time and that was on the Disney Wonder (no kids with us).

The Ship: WOW...what can I say...beautiful!!! I didn't notice any dirt or stains or even fingerprints for that matter. Really first class...I would match it to the Disney Wonder. I did feel more motion on this ship than on Disney but it may have been that we went to different places? not sure. I will have to check and see which ship is larger maybe that has something to do with it.

Our room: 8102 with balcony. There were 3 adult woman sharing this room. Very tasteful but very small. Very little noise even though we were the first room right outside the centrum lobby. The balcony however was oversized and literally the same size as the room! We had more than enough room for 2 full sized loungers, 1 small round table and two regular chairs. Spectacular!!

The food: Only give it an okay. I realize they are serving a lot of people but I am rating the food alone and not taking that into consideration as that has not alot to do with how it tastes after it passes through my lips. I live outside of Philly and we have outstanding food here so that has a lot to do with it as well. The servers were Bharat and Alenta and they were terrific! Dined at Chops and Portofino...now that was GOOD!! Well worth it.

The people: Mostly 25-50 range? Obviously there were younger and older but that was the general range. Only 45 kids on board this time.

The pools: I spent all my time in the Solarium..it was heaven until the sea day that is...lol. They really need to police the kids from entering the pool as I swear there were kids under 16 in there. Better yet...make it 18 or older! The main pool area reminded me of a Sandals pool...like MTV party to go..if you know what that is. My sister hung out there and enjoyed herself and was able to take in the sexy legs contest. I admit I watched for a few minutes too and it was pretty funny..not really serious at all. Checked out the kids pool also and it looked great..the slide looked awesome but it was only open for very limited hours....2 hours on port days and I think 5 on the sea day. Overall...I liked the Disney pool set up better...the Quiet Cove area for adults was for 21 or older and the kids pool slide was open a lot longer.

The Excursions: St. Martin...beach break...nice beach...awesome padded loungers and umbrellas

Antigua...Turners beach...GORGEOUS!!!!!! Best beach I was on and had restaurant right there. Lots of traffic getting thru St. John and we were packed in like sardines in a minivan..not too fun.

Barbados...did the Malibu beach bash or break. Very very nice beach and the best water temp of all....and perfectly calm. Very good restaurant at the beach and it was actually at the Malibu rum distillary...lol. You just had to overlook the distillary itself on one end and the boat yard at the other...I had no trouble doing this and this was my favorite excursion.

St. Lucia...the most beautiful of all the islands in my opinion..might be jaded since I honeymooned there. The excursion however ..the North shore tour and beach break...YUCK! Nice bus..A/C and all but I was ready to toss my cookies by the time we got to Reduit beach. I asked specifically if they tour was taking us threw the mountains on windy roads and guest services told me a firm "NO". They were mistaken and I almost soiled the bus. The beach was hardly a beach....it reminded me of a lake. I don't suggest this tour especially after seeing the beaches at Antigua and Barbados. I would just try to take a cab and find another beach.

Soliciters: On every beach not much you could do about this. Although on St. Martin beach the police came and they scattered. the police were in full dress with boots and semi automatic weapons strapped to their backs!

Overall it was a very nice cruise..the boat moved more than I would have liked and the food was only ok but the room and the ship and the beauty of the islands more than made up for that.

Any questions?

Jenn

The spa was a disappointment to say the least...I paid $105 excluding tip for a manicure and pedicure and I didn't even get to sit in a pedicure chair! I had my feet in the nail techs lap!!! She didn't do a super job at all and she made some comments I did not like about my feet like..."I don't even know what to do with these little points on the bottom of your toes". Hello???? Some peoples toes do this surely she has seen this before..I am only 33 so it isn't like I have 90 year old feet or anything.

I decided to give it another shot and did the Royal Treatment of a mini facial, hair conditioning and foot/ankle massage. LOL...they did my treatments in the hair salon!! My minifacial was in the shampoo chair...and after my neck was wrenched into that position for an hour I had sort of lost some feeling and was in bad need of a neck massage!

My take on it was that you need to spend at least $150 dollars to get into a treatment room. The prices were outrageous.

Entertainment: didn't go to any shows but did play bingo..that was fun even though I didn't win!

Ok...I think that is it.

Jenn

Thanks for the great review!

The food: Only give it an okay. I realize they are serving a lot of people but I am rating the food alone and not taking that into consideration as that has not alot to do with how it tastes after it passes through my lips.
Yeah, I wouldn't take that into much consideration either. What may help put the food quality in context is how much you paid for it, about $10 per day.
Only 45 kids on board this time.
Early December is the least likely time for families to travel with children.

Soliciters: On every beach not much you could do about this.
Very disappointing. Well, we're not beach people, much, anyway. It'll surely sway us away from doing any beach excursions though.

Thanks again for your review!

• 3 weeks later...

Jenn? What time did you board? The docs say 4pm boarding, but I've seen a lot of reports from folks saying not only could they board earlier, but that lunch was served aboard as early as 12:30 pm. Could you confirm/refute that?

Archived