Holland America Cabins Assignment

Anybody knows why H. America 10 days to sailing still holds on cabins assignments? We booked our Verandah cabins well in advance (2 month) and at the time I didn't pay attention to the fact that they were Guarantied(???) why is it, when almost all cabins are available? I keep calling to cruise line to get my cabin ## and have been told that the cabins will be assigned the day of the sailing?? What is the point. Will think very hard before next time I will book with them

Most cruise lines work it the same for cabin assignments. If you did not book a "guarantee" cabin, you WOULD have your cabin number a couple of weeks or more before sailing. A guarantee can be a good deal. For us, we booked a guarantee room for Baltic Gems sailing on Aug 1 from Copenhagen. We booked this trip "late", so most of the best locations for veranda rooms we wanted were taken. We were left with booking at the front of the ship, which is a lousy location. So we took a guarantee, we can't do any worse than the front of the ship, on the specific level we chose. We thought it would be worth the gamble to go guarantee. When we get to the ship, we will either be at the front of the ship, or if someone takes those rooms, we will get a free upgrade to something even better. They can't give us less than what they guaranteed.

This gives the ships flexibility and makes for a great price for us. If, let's say you could book a good location and room that pleases you, you would NOT use a guarantee. HAL is no different than any other, when giving out guarantees. Just maybe when you get to the ship you will have a pleasant surprise!

We are looking for people who are going on HAL from Copenhagen on Aug 1.

Archived