Food Spots on Destiny? Falcor?????

wrighka

flat iron steaks - that's just a cut of beef. from wikipedia:

'The flat iron steak is a cut of steak from the shoulder of a steer, also known as the Teres Major. Whole, this muscle is known as Infraspinatus, and one may see this displayed in some butcher shops and meat markets as a "top blade" roast. Steaks that are cross cut from this muscle are called top blade steaks or patio steaks. As a whole cut of meat it usually weighs around 2 to 3 lbs, is located adjacent to the heart of the shoulder clod, under the seven bone. The entire top blade usually yields 4 steaks, between 8 to 12oz. each. Flat iron steaks usually have a significant amount of marbling

Restaurants, particularly upscale, have recently begun serving flat iron steaks on their menus. Especially popular are flat irons from Wagyu beef, as a way for chefs to offer more affordable and profitable dishes featuring Wagyu or Kobe beef.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_iron_steak

they're good - but it's just a pretty typical steak, in the end.

Gee, can't believe I never thought of googling it! :o Thanks for the info ... as always.

I'll work on a trickier question for you next time!!!! :D

Miriam

PS. You mentioned room service sandwiches before - is there a pretty big menu to choose from in that regard?

there's a pretty decent selection... here's a room service menu from the unofficial carnival wiki - it isn't totally updated - i can tell that just by looking at it... but it'll give you a decent idea of what's available:

Juices

1: Orange

2: Tomato

3: Apple

4: Grapefruit

Breads

Served with Butter or Jelly on Request

5: Toast White

6: Toast Whole-Wheat

7: Toast Rye

8: Assorted Danish

9: Croissant

10: Toasted Bagel with Cream Cheese

Sandwiches

11: Turkey

12: Ham and Cheese

13: American Grilled Cheese

14: Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich

15: Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

The Sandwiches above (11 - 15) are served plain with the choice of White Bread, Whole Wheat, or Rye bread.

16: Roast Beef and Brie on Fresh Baguette

17: Creamy Tuna Salad on Toasted English Muffin

18: Open Faced Shrimp Salad Sandwich on French Roll

19: Corned Beef Sandwich on Rye Bread with Fresh Pickle

20: Crisp Greens, Shredded Chicken Fajita and Guacamole in a Jalapeño and Tomato Wrap

21: Grilled Focaccia Sandwich with Grilled Zucchini, Fresh Mozzarella, and Portabello with Basil Aioli

22: Grilled Reuben Sandwich with Pastrami, Swiss Cheese and Sauerkraut (Listed on the Carnival Freedom menu)

All Sandwiches are Served with Potato Salad or Coleslaw, Potato Chips or Pretzels

Miscellaneous

22: Tossed Garden Salad (Not listed on the Carnival Freedom menu)

23: Mixed Greens Garnished with Tomato, Cucumber, Radish and Red Onions

Served with choice of Ranch, Thousand Island, Blue Cheese or Fat Free Honey Mustard

24: Caesar Salad with Parmesan Cheese and Herb Croutons

25: Same Caesar Salad with Freshly Grilled Chicken Breast

26: Assorted Vegetable Sticks with Blue Cheese Dip

27: New York Cheese Cake

28: Creme Caramel

29: Chocolate Cake

30: Strawberry Yogurt

31: Fresh Fruit Salad

Beverages

32: Regular Coffee

33: Decaffeinated Coffee

34: Hot Tea

35: Iced Tea

36: Hot Chocolate

37: Milk

38: Skim Milk

39: Chocolate Milk

http://www.unofficialcarnivalwiki.com/wiki/Room_Service_Menu

Hey falkor thanks for listing the Carnivalwiki site! :) We got hit by lightening back in April and well the PC.......:( So I lost a lot of my favorite sites this being one of them! You wouldn't happen to have the site that list's what ships are in port the day you're there do you? Please and THANK YOU! :D

Just got home from Destiny, I have to say Falcors' review was such a help to newbies like us. I have not finished my review yet, but I grabbed the Capers to check on the food times for dining room and Taste of Nations here they are:

Day 2:Key West- Universe Dining room had open seating for breakfast from 7 to 9 ,and Taste of Nations was Italian from Noon to 330. Late Night Bistro in Sun and Sea from 1130 to 1.

Day 3: Fun day at sea (ugh missing that Caper right now.. sorry):confused:.

Day 4: Nassau-had same open seating for breakfast (Universe) except til noon. Taste of Nations was Caribbean from noon to 330. The Sushi bar was open from 500 to 815 on both day 3 and 4. Late Night Bistro in Sun and Sea from 1130 to 1.

Plus all the other options available that have been mentioned. You can pretty much eat 24 hours a day, its wonderful!!!!!!!!!

My DH and I did eat dinner the first night at the Sun and Sea because we had early seating and just could not get there in time. It was delicious.....and they had chocolate melting cake.

This may be a little confusing but I am new at this, it does not read as smooth as Falcor, I will just figure out how to post the Capers. LOL:)

Hey falkor thanks for listing the Carnivalwiki site! :) We got hit by lightening back in April and well the PC.......:( So I lost a lot of my favorite sites this being one of them! You wouldn't happen to have the site that list's what ships are in port the day you're there do you? Please and THANK YOU! :D

janet & john,

check this site out for port schedules:

http://www.cruisett.com/

that's what i always check first...

glad you re-found the unofficial wiki - it's a good source of info. :D

Just got home from Destiny, I have to say Falcors' review was such a help to newbies like us.

Plus all the other options available that have been mentioned. You can pretty much eat 24 hours a day, its wonderful!!!!!!!!!

This may be a little confusing but I am new at this, it does not read as smooth as Falcor, I will just figure out how to post the Capers. LOL:)

i'm glad it was of use! that's what i was hoping, really...

i wish i had the dining options on a ship available to me 24/7. man, that'd rock. sometimes i wish i didn't have to cook what i want to eat, and had 'room service' 24/7. even pizza joints close down eventually in the real world. a shame :D

as for posting pics... i'd recommend that you get a photo-hosting type site - i use photobucket.com, others use webshots, photohut.com and the like. upload your photos there. i resize mine to 800 pixels wide (such as in the wide capers)... then use the 'insert image' icon - it's 5th from the right in a 'quote' or 'post reply' view - looks like a mountain with a sun rising inside a yellow box.

that allows the photos to be viewed in full, rather than attaching to the message (which shows a thumbnail , which you then have to click, only to view in 1/20th of the screen) via cc.

when you hit the 'insert image' icon, just input the url of the photo. it'll figure out the rest.

let me know if you need any help. i'll take screen shots :cool:

Can I ask a question please?

We are sailing on Destiny in August and we are cruise virgins (so thanks for all the fabulous tips so far!!!!)

For dinner in the main dining room you are given a dining time and I assume a set place where you sit each evening.

I read earlier that one of the dining rooms is open for breakfast and lunch. Do you just turn up and are seated anywhere, or do you need to book?

We are sailing on Destiny in August and we are cruise virgins (so thanks for all the fabulous tips so far!!!!)

For dinner in the main dining room you are given a dining time and I assume a set place where you sit each evening.

I read earlier that one of the dining rooms is open for breakfast and lunch. Do you just turn up and are seated anywhere, or do you need to book?

Welcome to Cruising! In the Dining Room you'll have an assigned table for dinner it will be on your sail & sign card when you check in. For breakfast and lunch you just go and they seat you at a table, you can choose to sit by yourselves or with others. (good way to meet new friends!) When you first check in look at your dining time if you don't like the seating you've been given there's a set time (early or late) you can go talk to the MD and see if it can be changed. But it may or may not happen or you may not know for 24 hrs if you've been changed to the requested time. Some ships have gone to anytime dining where it's like breakfast & lunch you just show up and during the hours they are open and they seat you. Falkor, has the Destiny gone to this yet? Any other Questions just ask we're all happy to help you! :)

Just got home from Destiny, I have to say Falcors' review was such a help to newbies like us. I have not finished my review yet, but I grabbed the Capers to check on the food times for dining room and Taste of Nations here they are:

Day 2:Key West- Universe Dining room had open seating for breakfast from 7 to 9 ,and Taste of Nations was Italian from Noon to 330. Late Night Bistro in Sun and Sea from 1130 to 1.

Day 3: Fun day at sea (ugh missing that Caper right now.. sorry):confused:.

Day 4: Nassau-had same open seating for breakfast (Universe) except til noon. Taste of Nations was Caribbean from noon to 330. The Sushi bar was open from 500 to 815 on both day 3 and 4. Late Night Bistro in Sun and Sea from 1130 to 1.

My DH and I did eat dinner the first night at the Sun and Sea because we had early seating and just could not get there in time. It was delicious.....and they had chocolate melting cake.

THANKS for the information will be looking for the capers!

Welcome to Cruising! In the Dining Room you'll have an assigned table for dinner it will be on your sail & sign card when you check in. For breakfast and lunch you just go and they seat you at a table, you can choose to sit by yourselves or with others. (good way to meet new friends!) When you first check in look at your dining time if you don't like the seating you've been given there's a set time (early or late) you can go talk to the MD and see if it can be changed. But it may or may not happen or you may not know for 24 hrs if you've been changed to the requested time. Some ships have gone to anytime dining where it's like breakfast & lunch you just show up and during the hours they are open and they seat you. Falkor, has the Destiny gone to this yet? Any other Questions just ask we're all happy to help you! :)

thank you very much!!!!!!!! we are very excited for out first cruise and want everything to be perfect!!!

Falkor, thank you so very much for the site that's the one I've been trying to remember! :) And thank you for the tips and "how to" on posting photos and capers I always bring them home but have never figured out a good way to post them. Just not very "PC friendly", yup that's me! :D But with your instructions and help I'm going to give it a try when we get off the Conquest in November. That is if John doesn't talk me in to taking some thing sooner! :eek: He keeps telling me that November is to far away! :p

We're doing a B2B on Destiny in October. My favorite cruise dish is Escargot (just can't see paying for it at home, IF you can find it anywhere). Is that available on the 4 and 5 day cruises?

can't speak for the 4 day cruises personally, but can attest it was available on the 5 day. served on elegant night, if i'm not mistaken (but i'm pretty sure!) :D

can't speak for the 4 day cruises personally, but can attest it was available on the 5 day. served on elegant night, if i'm not mistaken (but i'm pretty sure!) :D

Wonderful...thanks!!

Fingers crossed it's on the 4 day too. :D

Falkcor,

Thanks for the details on Destiny. I jumped on a 4 day cruise this August with Wife and six yr old son. Most of tyhe time will be spent on the ship, we probably won't get off the boat in Key West, visit the beach in Cozumel, and really looking forward to the sea day. Booked a 4A and upgraded (free) to a 4 F. Deck nine (I think). Room is probably small; we can live with that. Should give us nice quick access to the pool and water slide(son loved this on the Glory last Dec!).

Will be our second Carnival cruise and had 3 others with RCCL (Majesty, Enchantment, & Soveirgn Of the seas). I liked every ship I've been on and can't wait to see the Destiny. What type of Movies do they play on the big screen?

i apologize, it appears that i missed several posts :o

to respond to your inquiry, on destiny you are assigned a dining time and table, and service on the whole is the 'traditional' cruise experience.

'your time' dining is being implemented, fleetwide, on carnival cruises, but in an incremental manner. here is the schedule that was released when they rolled the program out:

* Already implemented: Carnival Legend, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Sensation, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Miracle, Carnival Conquest, Carnival Elation, Carnival Pride

* Mid-June: Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Spirit

* Late September: Carnival Dream (this is when she launches, btw)

* Mid-October: Carnival Ecstasy (this is when she'll come from drydock, btw)

* Mid-December: Carnival Glory

* February 2010: Carnival Fascination

* By summer 2010: Carnival Imagination, Carnival Inspiration, Carnival Destiny, Carnival Triumph, Carnival Valor, Carnival Splendor, Carnival Freedom and Carnival Victory

i know everybody is thinking... why does it take so long... well, one matter, is the fact that in changing to anytime dining, they are swapping out the tables - providing for more low capacity tables (2-4-6) because these are at a premium when you expect 'your time (your way) dining'...

if you think about it, most of the summer '10 late adopters, are ships that are either newer (but not as new as dream), or ships that haven't as recently as your time dining became an option, been in drydock.

destiny was in drydock in sept 08. but they hadn't made the decision until after that drydock - so that'll be one of the last, even if it's an older ship than some of the rest (notably splendor). they didn't even plan on this, when planning splendor. that's an indication, of how it works :D

i just want to start by saying - that i agree with everything jrock59 said. i just wish i knew if it were janet or john posting :D (so i could say thanks and yeaaaah, i agree with) though i suspect janet. :cool:

anyhow, jrock59 - per your inquiry - no, destiny has not switched to open dining yet. see previous post for rationale. destiny was one of the last ships to drydock before this direction was established.

Falkor, thank you so very much for the site that's the one I've been trying to remember! :) And thank you for the tips and "how to" on posting photos and capers I always bring them home but have never figured out a good way to post them. Just not very "PC friendly", yup that's me! :D But with your instructions and help I'm going to give it a try when we get off the Conquest in November. That is if John doesn't talk me in to taking some thing sooner! :eek: He keeps telling me that November is to far away! :p

that site is my favorite. and i think... kinda the easiest...

you're welcome about the how to about posting photos. i love to help anyone who doesn't know how to post photos. most don't! click on my name to email if you need any help, or post here or on my review. it's not that hard! i love helping people figure it out.

the key point. find a site that let's you host your photos. i use photbucket... others use webshots, photohut, kodak, and the like - they're all the same as long as you can reference a url (http://hostname.com/username/picname.jpg) as an example. then just hit the insert image button (you'll only see this if you 'quote' another reply, or hit 'post reply' instead of the 'quick reply' icon which is at every post). the 'insert image' button looks like this:

CC-IMG.jpg

hope that helps. let me know before your next review if you need any pointers!

Archived