Belize X-Stream Cave Tubing

kallista81

Hi All,

I read alot of the messages about cave tubing and the dangers for adults and kids, especially when the river is rough. I had counted it out for us and our 5 year old but then I came across a company that does a specialized tour for kids. It sounds like it is at a different, calmer, river with easy in and out instead of where the other tour is.

Has anyone done this tour?

Here is the link http://www.belizecruiseexcursions.com/Belize_Kids_Cave_Tubing.htm

Thank you!

I have not been on this particular tour but have been on other private companies tours with children. Never has there been a problem. Next month my son who just turned 6 last week will be going cavetubing with me. We live in Florida so he isnt afraid of the water or tubing. Havent decided which company we'll take this time yet but there are several well known and reviewed private companies that take kids on the Belize board.

all of the cave tubing excursions are done on the same river...same caves.

We brought our son when he was 6... he did fine... BUT... just know that even with a childs size tube, a 5 year old will most likely not be able to navigate on his own. This is not a problem... but just to let you know. What we did was I hooked my foot under DS's tube and kept him right by my side the entire time. (this is the kind of thing that the specialized one does for kids... they have smaller groups and keep the kids hooked with an adult at all times.

Also, just to let you know, it is a long walk from the van to the entry of the river. We walked about 40 minutes in the rain forest... our son was not able to carry his gear himself... dad had to carry his own tube and DS's.

The caves are very long and of course very dark. You are provided with a head lamp... what I did at times when DS became a bit anxious about the darkness was to put my head lamp around my neck and show him my face.

The last thing is that the water is really cold!!!!! Ds was freezing when we got out of the water.

These are things to consider and to ponder knowing your own child. Our son really had fun... but there were times during the trip that he was not quite so sure he wanted to continue. (once you are in the river... there is no turning back!!!!!)

I would say that most of the private tour operators that I have read about (and used) will be helpful with the needs of a child. Just take all things about the trip into consideration to decide if this is something that your child will enjoy. (otherwise it will be a LONG hour ride there... and a LONG hour plus down the river and another LONGER hour ride back!!!!!!!!!!)

Archived