AMA Danube River Cruise--Customary dress

Bonita2009

My wife and are are leaving in mid June for a seven day Nuremburg-Budapest cruise on AMA's MS Amacello.

I would appreciate any advice on how to dress properly--I am not sure if a jacket and tie are required for men or cocktail dresses for women. This is my first post so please forgive the question which I am sure has been asked often

previously

Hi,

Welcome to this wonderful CC board. I suggest you scroll down to "Special Interest Cruising" and hit on "Riverboat cruising". I'm sure your question will be answered there.

Happy cruising.

Sheila

My wife and are are leaving in mid June for a seven day Nuremburg-Budapest cruise on AMA's MS Amacello.

I would appreciate any advice on how to dress properly--I am not sure if a jacket and tie are required for men or cocktail dresses for women. This is my first post so please forgive the question which I am sure has been asked often

previously

I did this cruise several times on the Mozart. Here is a recap of my experience:

Dress was resort/country club casual during the day.... Smart clothing, very few shorts and t-shirts were observed. Jacket and tie was required on the ship everywhere after 6:00pm inside and the bars and lounges and for dinner. There is usually 1 semi-formal dinner... After dinner, if folks wanted to go to the topside deck to enjoy the sights, they could change in to more casual attire. Mozart had a small bar available for those on the topside...with waiters to take drink orders. However, if you wanted to go back in to the bars or lounges inside again, you'd need to change again. It may be a little different on Amacello......

I found the dress code was strictly enforced even though most people on the boat followed the dress code. Most of them were Europeans and they seem to be a bit more formal in dress than we are anyway.

One caution: Those small towns where you will be stopping along the way are very conservative. They all dress modestly and are very quiet and polite. Make sure you do your research on these lovely little places to kind of get an idea. For instance, many of the cathedrals and old churches will require long sleeved shirts/blouses and some head covering for the women.

For instance, most of these cruises stop a Melk and offer a visit to the Benedictine Abbey.... This ancient Abbey is a thousand years old with a rich and vivid history - and is still a working monastic complex. Modest dress here would fill the bill....and it's worth it. Passau and Linz are likewise more conservative.

Budapest is a wide open metropolitan city which you will love...as is Vienna. One of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen was approaching Budapest by river. I had flown into that old city many times but arriving from the river is breathtaking. The Parliament and the Buda Castle loom over everything with the Royal Palace standing on the highest hill....it is unforgettable.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a travelogue....but this river trip is one of my favorites

Don't miss St. Stephen's Basilica......and spend as much time possible outside viewing everything along the way. You will never forget this trip, for sure.

We were on an AMA Waterway in April from Budapest to Vilhofen and then three days in Prague. Dress was casual with some suits some sport coats with no ties (me and others) and cocktail dresses max for woman for the captain's dinner. Jeans were common at dinner. I would say the average dress for dinner was country club casual.

Any other questions I will try to help.

Archived