Giving our Credit Card info for shore excursion?

ladycaveat

I'll be on Carnival's Western Caribbean cruise in April. I've been trying to set up my shore excursions and thus far have booked with Phil lafayette-tours in Ocho Rios and plan to book with the same company I used in Cosumel (on my last cruise in September 2003 . . . Cosumel Insider) . . . but, in Grand Cayman . . . it was between Nativeway and Soto. Finally decided on Soto and when I tried to make a reservation, I wasn't able to unless I gave my credit card information. I've never given that information out on the internet and sure as heck don't want to do so with a tour company in the Grand Cayman Islands. Sorry, I'm an attorney and have defended too many idenity fraud cases from the internet. Yes, I'm a defense attorney and I know how easy it is for my clients to get one's information. For those that booked their shore excrusion on Soto . . . is there anyway one can just send them a check for the excursion?

I'm curious about this too, but on Aruba. I submitted info to reserve a snorkel excursion on a tour operator's website, however they say they need CC info. I've bought things online before through a secure site but this would be like sending it in an email, which doesn't seem safe to me. I'd rather give it over the phone than email, but don't know how expensive it would be to call Aruba, so I'm a little miffed. People on these boards have recommended this tour operator (Aruba Adventures....MiDushi snorkel trip) and in fact RC uses them for their Kukoo Kunuku party bus excursion, so I would think the company is reputable. I guess I worry more about someone being able to access the email with CC info is why I hesitate.

Just book your tours through Nativeway Watersports (http://www.nativewaywatersports.com) and you won't be required to give a credit card before hand. That way there's no risk of anything, even if your ship can't stop there due to weather.

They are a FANTASTIC outfit and come highly recommended. We used them last year and they were just super friendly, very well organized, as well as professional...AND FUN!

I booked with Nativeway online and Sharon from Nativeway asked for my phone number to call me back for my credit card number. Since they are a reputable company, I gave it to her over the phone. They are not going to charge the excursion on my card, she said its just to hold my reservation.

Hmmm. People thinking a telephone system or snailmail is more secure than the Internet. A little disturbing.

In any event, a number of banks offer a free service that allows YOU to generate a one time use (or multiple use with a single vendor for recurring charges like utility bills) virtual number that bears no resemblance to your real credit card number. You provide information like expected vendor, max charge, and expiration date.

No matter how a vendor gets this number (phone, email, Internet, snail mail), even if someone (e.g. hacker or employee) compromises the vendor's computer, your virtual number is of no use to them.

I'm not at all opposed to booking or purchasing things on the internet...I do it all the time, but with secure websites. You know the ones that are encrypted to protect your information and have the little padlock at the bottom to show it is secure. The problem I'm having is the Aruba snorkeling website I wanted to book is NOT SECURE. You have to send the info via email which I do not fee safe with. I have always heard not to send CC info in an email but only in a secure transaction. Which supposedly makes it more difficult for hackers to get your info. Same deal with the phone...who's going to hack into a phone call? I'm not saying I don't trust the company...I don't trust the people out there on the internet who know how to get your unsecured info.

I'm not at all opposed to booking or purchasing things on the internet...I do it all the time, but with secure websites. You know the ones that are encrypted to protect your information and have the little padlock at the bottom to show it is secure. The problem I'm having is the Aruba snorkeling website I wanted to book is NOT SECURE. You have to send the info via email which I do not fee safe with. I have always heard not to send CC info in an email but only in a secure transaction. Which supposedly makes it more difficult for hackers to get your info. Same deal with the phone...who's going to hack into a phone call? I'm not saying I don't trust the company...I don't trust the people out there on the internet who know how to get your unsecured info.

Opps. Did not mean to single you out. I purchase on the Internet all the time - especially at this time of yearr.

I have many credit cards (some are even mine - Kidding - all are). Most have had fradulent charges at one time. None recently and I have NEVER paid, nor been asked to pay (after dispute), dime one. Visa, Amex, MC, Diner's, etc. They want to absorb the loss (pay the debt) so they can prosecute to the fullest extent.

Hacking an unsecured phone line is a easier that hacking an encrypted internet connection. But why bother? There are easier ways to collect that information. The majority of credit card fraud I have had to deal with is human land based sharks - no Internet, No phone, No pets involved.

The padlock is a good sign - the https (vs the http) in the address box is what you want to look for.

However, I am curious about the Aruba site you mention - to make a reservation does not seem to require a credit card? Or they reply saying they needed such info?

mr bill

Hmmm. People thinking a telephone system or snailmail is more secure than the Internet. A little disturbing.

In any event, a number of banks offer a free service that allows YOU to generate a one time use (or multiple use with a single vendor for recurring charges like utility bills) virtual number that bears no resemblance to your real credit card number. You provide information like expected vendor, max charge, and expiration date.

No matter how a vendor gets this number (phone, email, Internet, snail mail), even if someone (e.g. hacker or employee) compromises the vendor's computer, your virtual number is of no use to them.

I always do the virtual account number with Citibank. Plus I get the American Airlines Advantage air miles! It is a great program. I pay all utility bills and online purchases this way. Even bought 90% of Christmas purchases online. In one year I have over 60,000 air miles. Enough to buy two round trip tickets to anywhere in U.S. (including Alaska and Hawaii) Canada, Bermuda, Bahamas, Caribbean, and Mexico.

Opps. Did not mean to single you out. I purchase on the Internet all the time - especially at this time of yearr.

I have many credit cards (some are even mine - Kidding - all are). Most have had fradulent charges at one time. None recently and I have NEVER paid, nor been asked to pay (after dispute), dime one. Visa, Amex, MC, Diner's, etc. They want to absorb the loss (pay the debt) so they can prosecute to the fullest extent.

Hacking an unsecured phone line is a easier that hacking an encrypted internet connection. But why bother? There are easier ways to collect that information. The majority of credit card fraud I have had to deal with is human land based sharks - no Internet, No phone, No pets involved.

The padlock is a good sign - the https (vs the http) in the address box is what you want to look for.

However, I am curious about the Aruba site you mention - to make a reservation does not seem to require a credit card? Or they reply saying they needed such info?

mr bill

Yes, the midushi website booking page doesn't have a place for CC info, but they do have a comments section. It did not say to put CC info there, so I sent reservation in without anything there, and they emailed back asking for CC info. Well, I'm not going to email CC info so I asked them if it was secure or if they had an 800 # I could call to give them CC info. That was 3 days ago and I haven't heard back.

Yes, the midushi website booking page doesn't have a place for CC info, but they do have a comments section. It did not say to put CC info there, so I sent reservation in without anything there, and they emailed back asking for CC info. Well, I'm not going to email CC info so I asked them if it was secure or if they had an 800 # I could call to give them CC info. That was 3 days ago and I haven't heard back.

Thanks for the info. I may book a return cruise to Aruba next year so was curious.

I agree that if any business, anywhere, expects you to provide CC (or sny personal) info, that they at least attempt to provide a secure way for you to do so.

I will be curious if midushi ever get back to you and how it gets resolved.

Archived