ZIplining in Ketchikan

rmmm

This was the first of the two places that I have ziplined. So in doing it in Ketchikan I didn't know exactly what to expect.

I thought the whole experience was phenominal. You get to be up high where the birds are, and feel totally safe the whole time. The view from the treetops is amazing. Its so beautiful and peaceful here. What I especially liked was that once you went from the first platform to the next, you never did any more climbing or walking down stairs. It was from platform to platform. Theres also a swinging bridge that was fun, too. Don't get me wrong, I usually don't like heights, not terrified, but not that comfortable either. But we felt totally safe on this excursion.

The second place I ziplined was in Jamaica, so that my daughter could try it (she missed going with her brothers in Alaska). Although I felt safe on the actual zip line portion, the walking to get to the first platform, and having to walk down the stairs, or up the stairs, was more scary. At times you were walking along a path with sheer drop offs and only a rope for a fence. It was not just one smooth zip from platform to platform. So after my experience in Alaska, compared to Jamaica, Alaska was my favorite - hands down. Jamaica was cool, though, because you got to jump straight off a platform and the guy at the bottom controlled your rope in such a way that you landed safely and softly. Amazing! It gave you the experience of jumping off a tall building, without breaking anything!! Both zip lines were safe, and both had great guides, I just loved the one in Ketchikan much better. (BTW I was 50 yrs old and not that activer and was able to do it).

We just returned from the Rainforest Zipline in Ketchikan and we really enjoyed it. The staff is great. I felt safer than the one we were on in Jamaica and this one in Ketchikan had more lines than in Jamaica. There is another zipline in Ketchikan for the younger children. This one is perfect for teenagers & adults.

Hopefully, the mamma bear and her cub will come out of her den below one of the platforms real soon!

I found two separate ziplining companies for Ketchikan - Alaska Canopy and Southeast Exposure. Which one of these companies is better?? Are there any others out there? We want to go with the best (most lines and varieties but not too terribly challenging) but hopefully not have to pay the most for it! :-)

Celebrity is offering 3 zipline excursions in Ketichikan and I can't tell which is which. We are interested but haven't booked because of my confusion on this issue!

KE34 "rainforest ropes and zipline challenge" - Southeast Exposure?

KE35 "rainforest canopy expedition" - Alaska Canopy?

KE63 "bear creek zipline and challenge course" - Alaska Canopy?

I'm interested in more information about the differences between these three tours.

I wasn't exactly sure what they meant by rope challenges, but it sounded more physically demanding, and we also ruled out the canopy challenge course, since I read it was for experienced zipliners. We chose the http://www.alaskacanopy.com/pages/tours_rainforest_ketchikan.htm

after watching the video on the site, plus a video on Youtube, and we thought Ben's Revenge sounded pretty cool!! My sister wanted to do a zip line and wanted me to do it with her, so i had to do the research to find one that I thought I would be able to do. This one has had folks from 5 to 70, so I figured i could make it at a mere 62!! Goodluck. let us know what you decide.

I wasn't exactly sure what they meant by rope challenges, but it sounded more physically demanding, and we also ruled out the canopy challenge course, since I read it was for experienced zipliners. We chose the http://www.alaskacanopy.com/pages/tours_rainforest_ketchikan.htm

after watching the video on the site, plus a video on Youtube, and we thought Ben's Revenge sounded pretty cool!! My sister wanted to do a zip line and wanted me to do it with her, so i had to do the research to find one that I thought I would be able to do. This one has had folks from 5 to 70, so I figured i could make it at a mere 62!! Goodluck. let us know what you decide.

I did some research after posting earlier, and I think this is the one we'll do too. I'll be going with my 15 yr old son and maybe my father, my mom will have to watch my 4 yr old and she might want my dad to stay and help. Quite possibly the zipline is less challenging that watching my very active preschooler for an afternoon.:o

I found two separate ziplining companies for Ketchikan - Alaska Canopy and Southeast Exposure. Which one of these companies is better?? Are there any others out there? We want to go with the best (most lines and varieties but not too terribly challenging) but hopefully not have to pay the most for it! :-)

We were on the Alaska Canopy (Rainforest) in Ketchikan. Well worth it!

We were on the Alaska Canopy (Rainforest) in Ketchikan. Well worth it!

Thanks for the insights of those who have done these excursions. I have read several good reports on Alaska Canopy and we will probably go with that, but the 'ropes and zip challenge' from Southeast Exposure sounds like it might be more challenging for my 14 year old son. Anyone do that one? We are going on Holland America on the Ryndam, but the HAL site, when linking to their excursions, says only a couple of other ships can do the excursion and not the Ryndam. I wonder why?

Hi All,

I just booked with Alaskan Canopy Rainforest in Ketchikan and didn't notice if this includes transportation from the ship/port to their facilities.I see it starts out at Herring Cove and that looks to be about 6-7 miles from the ships pier.If i need to take a taxie any recommendations?Thanks in advance for your help.

Archived