Need advice for a Hawaii cruise

Thanks everyone for all your great tips, info and suggestions! We are still thinking about our trip right now but may do both. Cruise and then stay on one or two of the islands for a few days. So many choices! I'm sure no matter which way we go we will not be disappointed. How could we be we will be on vacation in HAWAII!!!! Pretty sure we will not be doing the Pride of America that is one thing we have agreed on. Will look at getting those books that were mentioned. Thanks again for taking the time to share your views I really appreciate it!

RCCL is wonderful, but...........

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip/cruise to Hawaii on NCL. We flew in a few days early and stayed in Waikiki and explored Oahu. Then took the NCL cruise. You spend so little time on the actual cruise ship during this cruise that it is way different than most other cruises. We weren't really excited to spend so many sea days, as all the other lines spend in traveling from the West Coast. And as others have described, the sea days can be cold outside.

The way to "upgrade" your experience on the Pride of America, if you really wanted to, would be to reserve suites. The suite experience is incredible, with lots of perks- butler, concierge service and priority everything. The minisuites are nice but do not come with perks. The specialty restaurants are nice. We would leave at 4 am and sometimes not return to the ship til 11 pm - sunrise at Haleakala, Old Lahaina luau, etc.

Just remember that you are on the ship so little time. It is a great way to see all the islands. We got to do sooo much.

Just a thought....

I've lived in Hawaii my whole life (except undergrad and internship). It is truly a remarkable place. I live on O'ahu and when I go to outer islands, there are things that I view as incredibly important to experience. Waimea Canyon on Kaua'i, Kilauea Volcano on the Big Island, and most importantly, sunrise at Haleakala on Maui. Visiting all of these places requires time, and I would make sure that you are able to have that time. For Haleakala, you have to leave in the middle of the night and drive up the mountain/volcano to be up there at daybreak. It's an experience of a lifetime.

No matter what, you will love it here. I would just suggest that you determine what is important to you to determine whether you do a land or sea vacation. Good luck!

Archived