Scarsdale Diet is for me !

I am starting Scarsdale.

Some will say it's not healthy, but I did it before and lost 30 lbs years ago.

It's not just meat, you do get veggies, fruit and whole grain breads.

And between meals you may have celery and carrots for those that like to crunch.

I did try Atkins, but too restrictive.

I am a little confused. I am doing Atkins and was not familiar with Scarsdale. I followed the link and looked at the basic info and sample menus. My confusion stems from your statement that Atkins is "too restrictive" in comparison with this diet. Atkins counts carbs instead of calories and fat (like Scarsdale) so that is a wash. I guess on any diet you are counting something. :) From what I read, other than a piece of protein bread here and there, this diet seems much more restrictive than Atkins. At a basic level it looks very similar: protein from meats, chicken fish; carbs from healthy, non-starchy veggies and fruits. The reason it looks more restrictive to me is that the menu for the first two weeks and then every other two weeks is strictly laid out and portion controlled. In Atkins, you simply eat within certain parameters (counting healthy carbs) which makes it, to me, much easier to incorporate in your lifestyle. Although with both of them, sugar is sometimes a challenge to avoid as it's thrown into so many items (like salad dressings). I'm wondering what I am missing in the comparison???? Thanks! Mary

Mary...I guess it's just my taste with the restrictions.

I've done Atkins and Scarsdale before.

I like Scarsdale better and you definetely lose quicker.

I do not count calories or do portion control.

It is eat to you feel full as on any diet.

The thing I like about it is that I can still get my crunch

with carrots and celery in between meals if needed.

Cheeses and meats did not do it for me.

I still wanted the crunch.

My DH is doing Atkins and that what he misses, too.

I can't believe people are still doing the Scarsdale Diet. I do have fond memories of it, but I was on it 1977 - that was a long time ago. I was also only 19 years old at the time.

I don't think I could ever do the Scarsdale Diet now. But I did lose 14 pounds on it.

Good luck.

I know a lady that does it during the week and then eats what she wants on the weekends and has never gained a pound.

Really - WOW. Maybe I should revisit the diet again, except Thomas' doesn't make the wonderful Protein bread any longer. I LOVED that bread. I wonder why they stopped?

Archived