San Juan in the evening question

Luke Stepp

Our ship will be in SJ from 5:00 pm until midnight, and I am looking to find out if we will have time for the kayak tour in the "bioluminescence" bay (Fajardo, I think). Furthermore, is it worth the money or are the forts and old town better sights for a first time visit?

Suggestions welcomed.

Our ship will be in SJ from 5:00 pm until midnight, and I am looking to find out if we will have time for the kayak tour in the "bioluminescence" bay (Fajardo, I think). Furthermore, is it worth the money or are the forts and old town better sights for a first time visit?

Suggestions welcomed.

I have not done that tour but someone at my dinner table on that cruise did. They said it was well worth it.

Forts close at 5 PM

That is what we had heard, but we were there last week with the same port schedule (5-12pm). We arrived early, which helped. We ended up going to Fort San Cristobal and the ranger there said they accepted entrants until 7pm and El Morro did until 6pm. Maybe summer hours?

Suggestions welcomed.

Before you make firm plans for the bio bay tour, check the moon schedule..if the moon is too full, they will not do the tour. Most tour websites have a link to the moon schedule.

We have a condo in Luquillo,near Fajardo and it normally takes about 25 mins from SJ, unless there is traffic.

We just got back from a Carnival cruise that arrived in San Juan at 5:00 pm. The bioilluminescence tour was offered through Carnival... so I'm sure if you booked with the cruise line you'd be fine but I wouldn't risk doing it independently (and I ALWAYS book independently). It takes quite a long time to get there from San Juan... My husband's best friend is puerto rican and apparently this is offered locally for just a few bucks so he thought it was outrageous what Carnival was charging. We decided that some day we would visit Puerto Rico for more than just a day and we might do it then.

When we got off at 5:00 (and actually we didn't get off right at 5 because it was raining) we still had time to see both forts before sunset, and we even saw some people going in, but I think they closed very soon. We thought the views and experience from outside the forts were wonderful and after seeing it from the outside I don't feel like I missed out on anything.

Here are a few pics from outside San Cristobol:

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

And El Morro:

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

If you want to see more pics just click on the Triumph link in my signature. Hope that helps!

Archived