Aurora 2 August 2009 - First Time Cruiser

JoGal

Hi,

I am a first time cruiser travelling on Aurora in August 2009 Canaries Cruise can't wait. If you have been on Aurora would you be able to answer some questions for me.

1. How good are the children's clubs. My daughter is 5 years old. What choice is there on the children's tea.

2. I'm going to need to use the pressing service, not keen on doing my own laundry on holiday. How much does it cost per item

3. We are staying in an inside room B Deck B122 am I going to experience any sea sickness on this part of the ship

4. What activities are going on during the day, my mother who is in her 60's is is travelling with me

Thanks

Welcome Jogal.....I can't really help except for to say I think you are thinking too much, everything will be fine. We have never pressed anything, you will either get seasick or you won't, most don't. Everyone who uses the kids clubs are happy as far as I know. Oh yes you won't really find outwhat is on during the day until you are on board..P&O may help.

Hello - and as a recent first time cruiser myself, welcome to the club!

Am yet another one who has NOT been on Aurora, but we did Oceana last year so should be a reasonable comparison:

1. P&O kids facilities and staff were excellent, your little one should have a great time

2. Not sure about laundry/pressing, its not particularly cheap though

3. We were in an inside cabin on deck 10 on Oceana, towards the rear of the ship, so not the steadiest part of the ship by far. We had a bit of a swell on the homeward transit of the Bay of Biscay which saw my wife getting somewhat queasy, however this didn't seem to be made any worse by the lack of a window in the cabin - in fact she went there to have a lie down! So, don't worry about it.

4. Quite a few activities during the day, bingo, talks, films, quizzes, fitness classes (for all ages), and of course eating, drinking, and lounging in the sun or taking a stroll along the prom.

JFH

Hi,

I am a first time cruiser travelling on Aurora in August 2009 Canaries Cruise can't wait. If you have been on Aurora would you be able to answer some questions for me.

1. How good are the children's clubs. My daughter is 5 years old. What choice is there on the children's tea.

2. I'm going to need to use the pressing service, not keen on doing my own laundry on holiday. How much does it cost per item

3. We are staying in an inside room B Deck B122 am I going to experience any sea sickness on this part of the ship

4. What activities are going on during the day, my mother who is in her 60's is is travelling with me

Thanks

I've been on Aurora twice, but not taken children -mine are grown up -some photos of the ship here on this link, just click it:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AuroraWeekenderCruiseDec06#5088430251104934082

On Oriana last week saw the kids having fun with the childrens entertainment team, -swimming pool games and playng basketball, and no doubt doing lots of things in the clubs, saw them happy and walking about with faces painted, and holding balloons. At childrens tea, I saw them eating the usual kiddy-food- chips,chicken nuggets, sausages, and i expect a lot of other choices, the sweets looked good - fresh fruit tarts, ice cream,jelly etc etc.

Pressing service, you may find any creases from packing will drop out in a warm wardrobe within 24hrs, there are laundrys with free irons for the odd blouse thats creased. Have never paid to get anything ironed yet.

Hope that helps a bit. No doubt someone with children who has been on Aurora will be along soon.

For daytime entertainment, you will have to wait for the daily newspaper delivered to your cabin the night before , which gives all info on the following days events. There will be port talks - which you can attend, - a talk on up and coming ports so you can decided where go and what to do, we had a speaker on 'cruiseships' last week, learnt about the Titanic:eek:, and other cruiseships from the 1930's onwards. On other cruises we have had talks on Inheritance tax, or lighter subjects. There will be ballroom dancing, classes on using the computer or digital camera - I went to one on 'selling and buying on Ebay' last week.

If its nice and sunny, as it will be in August in the Canaries, days maybe spent relaxing around the pool, and -eating!

It will be great.

On that link above are two CANARIES cruise photo albums,(go to 'my photos/albums' )feel free to look at them, I have just returned from Canaries on Oriana,but the Canaries on ARCADIA one shows lots of the ports....the sail-in to Lisbon for example is fantastic.

Hi,

quote]

Hi JoGal

We've been cruising with P&O since our daughter was 2 (she's nearly 10 now:eek:) and can honestly say that she has the best time every time we cruise. The children's clubs are excellent, lots of different activities and the youth crew all have child care qualifications (unlike some other cruise lines).

Children's tea has all the usual suspects (nuggets, fish fingers, etc.) but also normally has a couple of selections from Dinner in the main restaurants. However, on Ventura last year there was less choice than usual and I don't know if that is across the fleet or just that particular ship.

Any other questions, ask away.

Debbie:)

Thank you for your responses very helpful this site is a godsend!

Another question:-

1. My mother will want to use the hairdresser. I read an earlier question where it said that if you are later getting on to the ship all the best appointments if not all are taken? Is this the case? Can you book in advance by email or do you have to wait until you get on?

If your Mum wants to get her hair done on formal nights then book as soon as you get on board - these are the busiest nights in the salon.

The salon services are provided by a company called Harding Brothers and it may be worth emailing them in advance if you're worried about not getting appointments (not sure whether they will let you pre-book though).

The only time I've not been able to get an appointment is when I haven't been organised and left it to the last minute.

Debbie:)

Hairdressers get fully booked before a formal night very quickly.... I don't think you can book before the cruise, so I would go to the hairdressers as soon as you have boarded, before sailaway and muster.... I head to the Rhodes restaurant at that time LOL:rolleyes::D my priorities are different ;)

Archived