Unthought of...things to pack!

Hah...duct tape..dont underestimate it! My DD's boyfriend insisted we bring it on our '06 cruise, even though I swore we'd never use it.

Well..our last night on the cruise, I bought 4 bottle of rum to bring on home, and they put it in this flimsy cardboard box that would never make it through the plane rides home. I wrapped it up in duct tape, and we had no problems!

I admit..he was right..

I brought everything but the kitchen sink on our last cruise except the one thing I needed most---cold medicine!!! We got the flu. A really bad case. This was last summer before swine flu. Medicine on the ship was very limited.:(

The over the door shoe holder-can't use-they have 3 large pegs on the door for robes etc. There really is enough room using the shelf door and under the sink area.

clock-did need a battery clock-bought the "Jimmy" as someone suggested at Brookstone-however; it turned on eveytime the ship rocked! Room service call is only 5 minute warning most times.

Single dollar bills-room service!

ATM-can use on ship with a $6 service fee.

Water pitcher-comes in handy-room service only gives you glasses-could of poured all 8 glasses in the pitcher with ice. They don't like you filling up your own bottles in the Windjammer due to sanitation rules.

Curtain clip-didn't need; the curtains close well.

Sun block, aloe, cold and allergy meds,Band aides-neosporin, nausea meds, tums and mylanta, spare glasses, lanyard for the seapass card,

tote bag for pool and ports, small suitcase for taking on and off board,

garbage bags for dirty laundry, zip locks, extra hangers/ and cheap skirt/pants hangers that you can leave. My mom and I had enough for one of us-so glad we brought extra.

Lysol for the bathroom and works well to disinfect the room-however; due to airlines I packed the can then had to wait for luggage to get it out- I should of tranferred it prior to getting on the RCCL bus.

Pack a casual outfit and your 3 oz 1 quart baggie in your carry on-also worked great for last day-I was able to shower etc. using my carry on stuff.

Drawers are too small for large items; easier to hang up things.

While some cruisers don't think the over the door shoe bag is a necessity, all I can say is that we think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Ours has clear plastic pouches and weighs practically nothing but holds a whole lot of stuff that we need to have in the bathroom.

If we were young, totally healthy and wrinkle-free, we probably would not need one as there would be no need for my day-time moisturizers, my night cream, my cosmetics, his favorite flavor tooth paste, my favorite flavor tooth paste, the fluoride gel and the little trays that go with it, the plastic cup that holds the fluoride trays,the packets of tablets used to clean the dentures both of us wear, the plastic cups that hold the dentures when they are soaking, the bottle of sun screen, the bottle of after shave, the bottle of my cologne, the his and hers deodorant sticks, the Q-tips, the hair brushes, the little Olay face clothes that I use to wash my face each night, the deodorizer spray, the equipment for the insulin pump, etc.

The cabinets in the bathroom are just about big enough to hold the drugs we take. :)

I suggest that each cruiser make a list of what they need to have handy in the bathroom and make their own decision as to whether or not they need one. Personally, I would not travel without ours, but we are old and wrinkled.

Totally agree. Not only do I apparently travel with "more than normal' lotions and potions, I love having all my supplies right at my fingertips. Plus, they don't fall over like they do on the counter. For me, this is a must have. Any extra room holds sunglasses, flip flops etc.

I always take along one of those battery operated air fresheners...you know, the type that "puffs" out the fragrance every couple of seconds. I remember on our first cruise, when we opened our cabin door, one woman said, "their cabin smells so nice...ours smells like feet!" LOLOL

Also, I learned from these boards a few years ago to bring some type of large travel mug...I got one at walmart for like $5.00. This was probably one of the best ideas I found...It was great to fill up my ice tea/ lemonade and head out to the deck chairs. I filled it once and didnt have to keep running back and forth for a refill! :D

why does everyone mention duct tape is something to pack. what would you need it for

It is the universal "fix-it"! Those pesky curtains that won't close or the shower curtain that gets "friendly" can all be fixed with duct tape. It will also hem or repair garments, repair a torn or damaged suitcase, secure extension cords to the floor, tape the GPS antenna to the balcony rail, and serve a million other purposes. There are whole websites dedicated to the uses of duct tape.....we won't leave home without it! :)

Cozumel: ATV & Beach day
We did the ATV excursion, and it was WONDERFUL . . . but I do have a packing suggestion for that particular excursion: If we do this again, I'd bring along an old, old pair of ratty shorts /tee shirt I don't care about /old pair of tennis shoes. We got FILTHY DIRTY on this excursion, and we ended up throwing away some of the clothes we wore because the mud stains wouldn't come out. We'd all worn good tennis shoes, and we couldn't throw them away, but they also weren't fit to wear for the rest of the trip. I ended up double-bagging them in laundry bags (asked the steward for extras) and washing them multiple times back at home -- what a mess! If we'd brought old, old things with us, we could've just thrown them away after the excursion.

Admittedly, we did this excursion after several days of heavy rain, and the trails were MUDDY. It made for a great ride, but people were staring at us as we walked back to the ship!

I always travel with a roll of duct tape and so far, I've never needed to use it. I just know that the one time I don't bring it, my luggage will break and I'll have no way of getting it through the airport.

Duct tape is "evil eye" insurance.

Archived