ST. Thomas and grand Turk

FF-EMT Diver

Thanks I have not decided whether to book thru carnival or book on my own which is what I did last yr in Coz. I like the looks of Blue water Divers in GT but l know little of either op. BWD does say their boat is limited to 8 divers not sure of Oasis.

Anyway thanks for the response....Ya'll keep them coming.

Blue Island divers in St. Thomas looks good too.

While I was in Charloette, St. Thomas I booked it through a local shop called Admirality Dive. You can find them on the net. Did a two tank afternoon dive, a reef and a wreck. I had a good trip. Plenty of time to see the town and dive as well. I brought my own gear.

Thanks I have not decided whether to book thru carnival or book on my own which is what I did last yr in Coz. I like the looks of Blue water Divers in GT but l know little of either op. BWD does say their boat is limited to 8 divers not sure of Oasis.

If you go with Oasis, you'll be diving with 23 other cruisers. Yuck.

If you go with Bluewater, you'll dive with at most 7 other divers. That makes it an easy choice, at least for me. I very much enjoyed diving with Blue Water.

I also agree with the recommendation for http://www.admiraltydive.com in St. Thomas. Nice people, enjoyable dive trip.

I second BWD. Dove with them twice. Monica and Mitch are the best. Small op, 5 minute taxi ride from the doc. You won't regret going with them. You can book your trip through their website (they do fill up early so don't delay).

Randall

If you go with Oasis, you'll be diving with 23 other cruisers. Yuck.

If you go with Bluewater, you'll dive with at most 7 other divers. That makes it an easy choice, at least for me. I very much enjoyed diving with Blue Water.

I did the Carnival tour with Oasis in 2006 and enjoyed it. They do have a large boat but they had plenty of Dive Masters.The thing I liked most is that they let me do a deep, solo dive on the Wall.The Dive Master just asked me to follow these 3 rules:

1 Keep the group in sight at all times.

2 Watch your air and don't go deeper than 130 feet.

3 Fully understand that I am not leaving my group of divers to come down there after you!!!!

I was fine with this and had a great dive to 125 feet on the Wall.After 15 minutes or so, I rejoined the group on top of the Wall.I like an operator that treats you like an adult and respects your skills.

I did the Carnival tour with Oasis in 2006 and enjoyed it. They do have a large boat but they had plenty of Dive Masters.The thing I liked most is that they let me do a deep, solo dive on the Wall.The Dive Master just asked me to follow these 3 rules:

1 Keep the group in sight at all times.

2 Watch your air and don't go deeper than 130 feet.

3 Fully understand that I am not leaving my group of divers to come down there after you!!!!

I was fine with this and had a great dive to 125 feet on the Wall.After 15 minutes or so, I rejoined the group on top of the Wall.I like an operator that treats you like an adult and respects your skills.

That is a very out of character for cruise dive excursion.

That is a very out of character for cruise dive excursion.

Maybe, but I also was allowed to go Solo with Sturart Cove's and UNEXSO this last November while crusing on the Norwegion Majesty.I met with the Dive Master when I first boarded,showed my credentials,and respectfully asked to be allowed to follow the group.I told the DM that I did not mean to be an ass but I only get to the tropics a couple of times a year (if I am lucky) and don't wish to "babysit" today.I don't advocate solo diving for everyone but I have been forced to buddy up with some real winners on cattle boats (had to rescue the great Andrea Doria diver TWICE while in Bermuda).One little thing I have learned as that many times "big talkers" can't always back it up once in the water--I try to stay away from them.

I do have a SDI Solo Certification, 430 logged dives (250 or more solo) and dive with my own redundant gear (always take a Spare Air on a cruise-pony locally).I am respectful and try to follow the rules whatever the DM decides.I certainly don't mind helping newbies (do it often at the lake), I just don't want to pay good money to do it for my very few Caribbean dives.Maybe the Dive Masters are just showing a little professional courtesy or maybe they just don't want to fool with me.I always knew that DM cert card would be good for something

Happy diving everyone.

Add my vote for Blue Water Divers. Monica and Mitch are fantastic. And even though I didn't get to dive with Mitch, we had a great conversation in the shop prior to going out. I dove with them last thursday, so the experience is pretty fresh for me. Also, the dive in GT was by far the best I've ever done. Diving the wall is like nothing else I have ever experienced.

Joe

I still am wondering who contracts in St. Thomas??? maybe it's Blue Island Divers? Maybe I could just call them..
It isn't Blue Island Divers. Call them if you want. If they are the ship's dive excursion provider, they will tell you that you have to book thru the ship.

Archived