Where are the mosquitos found?

pertfred

Sailing on Celebrity Infinity next wk. Where would I find the most mosquitos? Juneaun, Kechikan? Can they be onboard while sailing? Dont understand if its cold out and you have on heavy clothing..then how do they still bite? Thanks for your info.:confused:

Mosquitoes aren't as big a problem in SE Alaska as they are farther north and east (though hardly unknown.) They're usually around damp/wet places (creeks, rivers, woods) and are usually most annoying in the early evening. Take some repellent (containing Deet) and use it if you see some.

Alaska mosquitoes can bite right through Levi's, so use bug dope. But don't worry too much - you probably won't encounter them on the boat at all.

We just returned from our 1 week cruise followed by 1 week RV trip. We only encountered mosquitoes in Glennallen when we camped next to a river. Nothing was biting on the cruise or at any of the ports.

We saw them in Anchorage. DH swatted one in one of the restaurants that had their doors open. They got worse the further inland we got, with Denali and Fairbanks the worst. A lot of the "locals" we talked to were saying this has been the earliest and worst year for the mosquitoes they've had in awhile.

I took DEET and didn't use it. So I brought home some Alaskan bite marks. For what it's worth, the mosquitoes love me here in South Carolina. I've already gotten two bites tonight.

Where would I find the most mosquitos? Juneaun, Kechikan?

Don't worry about finding mosquitoes. They will find you!

We had lots of mosquitoes in Haines last summer and quite a few both in Sitka and outside of Juneau. Fortunately (or me)they love my DW whom I'm almost always with and leave me alone.

Just back late last night from cruise. I was bitten on the elbow in Juneau, which got swollen. It didn't look too bad but bothered me so much that the bone hurt. After a few days it was back to normal. I did not use any bug juice, thought it would be too early in the season. I also thought it would be cold and I wouldn't want to wear shorts!

Just off the Serenade this past week. We did a canoe trip in Skagway and were chomped on quite nicely out there on the water. We also biked in Juneau and only got bitten a few times. We did have Deet on, but, well, I guess it didn't work as well as I would have hoped.

Archived