All Things HALF MOON CAY !

trock

I'll be visiting HMC for the first time next September. From everything I've read about HMC . . . the majority of the posts are about the Cabanas on the island. I get the feeling that if one doesn't rent one, they are missing out on the time of their life. I would love to rent one . . . they sound fantastic but . . . I cruise by myself and I just can't justify the price for only me. I've also read a lot about the Clam Shells and am not sure what they are other than shelter from the sun.

Aside from jet sking and horse back riding I've read very little about any excursions anyone has been on.

I'm a sixty-three year old woman and can't wait to visit HMC and would love to hear what others have done in the way of excursions or . . . is it just as much fun to lounge on the beach, take a Dip in the water, have BBQ and just sort of take in what I've read is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Tammy

I'll be visiting HMC for the first time next September. From everything I've read about HMC . . . the majority of the posts are about the Cabanas on the island. I get the feeling that if one doesn't rent one, they are missing out on the time of their life. I would love to rent one . . . they sound fantastic but . . . I cruise by myself and I just can't justify the price for only me. I've also read a lot about the Clam Shells and am not sure what they are other than shelter from the sun.

Aside from jet sking and horse back riding I've read very little about any excursions anyone has been on.

I'm a sixty-three year old woman and can't wait to visit HMC and would love to hear what others have done in the way of excursions or . . . is it just as much fun to lounge on the beach, take a Dip in the water, have BBQ and just sort of take in what I've read is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Tammy

Go into the "roll call" forum for your cruise date and see if anyone wants to share with you! Can't hurt to ask! There's an article I printed from CC that's been helpful for each port, I'll look for it for you...

...found it, but it mentions horse back riding! LOL!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/article.cfm?ID=154

I think the private islands are designed so you don't have to do an excursion, it's an opportunity to just hang out and the cruise line caters to you. Also, because these islands were started from scratch, there aren't a lot of excursions.

Edited by montREALady

The clamshells can be retracted, right? I'm thinking getting one is a good idea, but I don't want to be under it all day, I know I can pull the chair out, but I notice there's still a shadow cast in front of it. There will be times I'll want to sit out in the sun, so just curious.

Go into the "roll call" forum for your cruise date and see if anyone wants to share with you! Can't hurt to ask! There's an article I printed from CC that's been helpful for each port, I'll look for it for you...

...found it, but it mentions horse back riding! LOL!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/article.cfm?ID=154

I think the private islands are designed so you don't have to do an excursion, it's an opportunity to just hang out and the cruise line caters to you. Also, because these islands were started from scratch, there aren't a lot of excursions.

Thanks bunches. I'm the one that keeps the list of those going on our cruise (on the Roll Card Board) current. I book so far in advance, I'm usually the one that starts our cruise info on the Roll Card Board. This time it was already started so I just posted the list of names and where everyone is from. I asked about excursions but didn't get any answers. I think it the first time most of us have been to HMC. Really thinking about renting one of those clam shells to have a little shade (I burn).

Thanks bunches. I'm the one that keeps the list of those going on our cruise (on the Roll Card Board) current. I book so far in advance, I'm usually the one that starts our cruise info on the Roll Card Board. This time it was already started so I just posted the list of names and where everyone is from. I asked about excursions but didn't get any answers. I think it the first time most of us have been to HMC. Really thinking about renting one of those clam shells to have a little shade (I burn).

You're welcome. Yeah, we're just going to do the clamshell if anything, it's just my mother and I. They look fine...I want to be in the sun anyway, I just need the occasional shelter ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be visiting HMC for the first time in May. I cannot wait! I understand that this is a tender port, and my question is - how often do the ferries run, and how big of a headache is it to take the ferry back to the ship (from the island) and then return to the island?

I ask because I definitely want to bring my DSLR camera, but don't know if I necessarily want to have to keep an eye on it all day (i.e. constantly be watching my bag while I'm in the water, and worrying about it every time I turn my back for 30 seconds). So, I was thinking of bringing my camera along initially, taking pics, then returning it to my stateroom, and coming back to the island. But I have a feeling that this is going to take a lot of time and be a huge hassle? We're only there from 7-3.

Thanks!

We are just back from HMC last week. Only about 2/3 of the Cabanas were rented. Also, For the DSLR person, there were lockers to use on HMC. I didn't use them so I know nothing of the cost. We have now visited four Bahama private islands and this was the best! One more thing, There is plenty of shade near the beach.

Edited by blueridgecruiser

We didn't have any problems w/ sand fleas. We walked down the road and back up the beach. The only critter we saw was a 3 ft. long snake sunning himself on the paved road.

:eek::eek: I'm pretty sure I'd rather have sand fleas than run into a 3ft long snake!!!!!! I'd have screamed and ran or fainted. LOL

Is there a fee to use a lounge chair?
Nope. Just find an empty one and plop down in it.

The BBQ and lemonade are free?
No, but you paid for them when you payed your cruise fare.

Is there a fee to board the tender boat to and from HMC?
Nope.

How are the washroom facilities?
? They are there.

I apologize if this has been asked...when reserving a cabana do I pick the cabana I want (specific #) or do I choose it when I get to HMC?

Thanks

If you are on Carnival you will not be able to reserve until you board the ship. If on HAL it can be done in advance online.