BOS Questions

I am new to cruising and although I have done extensive research I still have a couple of questions!

1) Cabin Steward: What is this person's job? I have read that passengers should let him/her know of any special requests but cannot imagine what these requests might be. We have been on many vacation in the past but from what I am reading it seems that a Cabin Steward provides services that are possibly above and beyond what a typical housekeeping staffer might provide.

2) Stateroom location: Our stateroom on the BOS is an E1 Cabin # 9004. How is an E1 balcony stateroom different from others? What is the location of #9004 in terms of forward/aft, etc and what are the benefits (or the downsides) of views from this location as we enter and depart various western med ports?

THANKS!!!!

A stateroom attendant takes care of all your needs in your room.

Some requests people are talking about xtra towels everyday, xtra blanket, ice, laundry pick up, xtra pillow, beds together or apart, and Im sure others will have more personal stuff that the attendant takes care of for them. I would say he/she is more of a butler than regular housekeeping in a hotel or resort.

To see the location of your cabin go to the RCCL website under ships click on BOS and view deck plans

9004 is WAY forward, but typical E1 which is fine. You will have a love seat instead of the a couch found in the D's .

You really should have a floorplan in front of you when you book. If you are prone to motion issues I would move more center.

This is when good TA would help with answering all your questions.

Welcome to the boards, btw.

If you have an opportunity to get another cabin without much price increase, I would advise changing from 9004. It is way forward up in the bow and that is the area where you will feel the most motion when the seas are rough. As the ship goes through waves in rough weather it does what is called "pitching" ; the bow goes up and down rather than rolling from side to side.:)

Okay, now you've scared me about the location of our stateroom! I was with a travel agent and looked at location when the trip was booked. The advantage at the time was that I was able to get an inside stateroom directly across the hallway from my teen daughters. We booked in January 2009 and according to the TA at the time, there weren't any balcony/inside combinations left and we were 'lucky' to get these two.

Do you think I should attempt to change the room locations??

Since we've never been on a cruise I don't know if I would tend to get seasick or not, but I can be assured that one of my daughters WILL be.:(

I don't know when you are sailing, but if the cabin arrangement is what you want, I wouldn't worry too much about motion issues. The Med is not usually rough, and if you look at the way the ship is designed, the cabins on 9 don't extend all the way forward, so your cabin is not al the way to the bow. We have been in some cabins pretty far forward, and didn't have a problem. If you can get the combination you want more to the center, for the same cost, it is probably somewhat better, but it is not worth giving up the arrangement you want (interior right across the hall) or paying a lot of extra money.

Archived