What I did on my Summer Vacation Pacific Princess 6/11-25 Live

pamwinn

Karen, Pam, and everyone helping with posts on this thread,

I can't thank you enough for taking your vacation time to post about your cruise. My DH and I will be boarding the Pacific Princess the day you leave her and I am counting the days! We are new to Princess so everything you post is so helpful. With your help, I'm sure that we won't miss a thing.

Thanks again -

cindy

Hi Everyone

A couple of things..

I wanted to let you know if your skin and hair is on the dry side it will be suffering in Alaska…make sure you pack heavy moisturizer and even deep conditioner for you hair.

This is another reason why I love Tahiti…when I’m there the humidity gives my hair

Perfect curls..you know the kind you would pay big bucks for…just gorgeous

When I’m here in Alaska..I think I should of brought a liter size bottle of detangler

From the beauty supply store…

I have only gotten a one mosquito bite..

This is good news for all of you…I’m constantly tracked by the

MWN…mosquito worldwide network…that’s right I’m better than a cintronella

Candle ….mosquitos LOVE me…they send messages throughout the world to

Friends and family letting them know where I will be next!!!! So, if I have

Only gotten ONE mosquito bite in the land of MASSIVE size mosquitos

Then you should be fine!!!!

Hey …I just finished watching an Affair to Remember..we were chatting about

It at lunch…so does anyone know what ship it was filmed on???? Sniff sniff

Wipe away the tears! Don’t want to drain minutes looking for this.

I love this romance movie channel…we get to catch up on all the

Chick flicks out there that I can’t justify blowing 10 bucks plus

Popcorn on

Interesting programming on tv..it does look like that all lectures

Are now show later in the day on tv..

I liked the show on Wyland and the whaling wall project..watch for that.

We are also getting CNN, no fox and TNT ..so was able to watch The Closer

Happy Birthday to me and mama… this cruise we are celebrating our Bdays..

And we got mail earlier….35.00 off a spa service coupon in honor of our birthdays.

I haven’t seen any door signs like they use to do, but I have seen balloons on doors..

Just a thought…

Why can’t wildlife submit their schedule to be printed in the Princess patter?????

Oh the rangers that came onboard did provide a junior ranger program..

The kids onboard have been extremely well behaved….there’s about 15 onboard

From infant to about 16…

I saw one of girls on the elevator, very sweet about 13, she was obviously headed to pool

I said …you are VERY brave! She laughed..I said where are you from? And she said…..

Montana!!!!!!! I said is this a heatwave here??? and she said pretty much!

Need to get ready for dinner…no wine for me tonight..I need to drink a lot of water to dilute what I already drank..I’m such a lightweight!

Wine tasting..I saw Pia’s post about it…the menu is really well printed now with

Tons of information..before it was just a slip of paper printed out…Based on the handout now …I would say this is probably set in stone for the time people…Obviously, they would have to rotate over the course of time to keep people returning..so you might

Want to ask to see the menu before you pay for it to make sure you haven’t done it again

I forgot to mention that they also did a 2 drawings at the winetasting

The prize was canapés and sparkling wine delivered to your stateroom this

Afternoon. ….i did not win…though I drew the ticket and the cabin was 7011

…we are in 7111…maybe it’s only funny because I’m so loopy…

Just got back from dinner..it;s school night tonight hahahahaah

We have to be up early for our Columbia Glacier Tour..

One of the headwaiters was brilliant and suggested that since the cereal

Is sealed we could bring a box with us…also in gift shop is Nature Valley

Bars at 1.60USD per package and if you buy 3 it’s 10% off…so that’s our supplementation

Skagway…still coming soon…

judy...

that's exactly what we saw!!! we saw pictures from the cruise before and the cave was blocked

would you be willing to send me that photo?

if so my address is on our website..

thanks

If you click on the picture it will take you to my Webshots album where you can download the picture(s) for free.

At the time I thought the cave was there all the time but when friends visited GB later they didn't see it. I guess I should have realized that things like that come and go since the face of the glacier is constantly changing.

I'm really enjoying this thread. This is a cruise that we want to take - maybe next year.

Everyone kept saying yesterday that the Gulf of Alaska is not supposed to be like this. Mirror-like. Seas were choppy but smooth by evening. Forecast last night was for light rain today. It's cloudy outside now.

566379574_7FKV3-L.jpg

Who put that towel on MY chair? :D

Everyone kept saying yesterday that the Gulf of Alaska is not supposed to be like this. Mirror-like. Seas were choppy but smooth by evening. Forecast last night was for light rain today. It's cloudy outside now.

566379574_7FKV3-L.jpg

That is beautiful!!!! Keep the pictures coming.

Pacific Princess Embarkation June 11th

By 6PM it was really cold on the balcony. The jury is still out on the aft balcony on this ship. The in-hull balcony does somewhat obscure the view when sitting and the slope of the aft seems to allow the wind to whip around so it is not as warm as I expected it to be. We are also able to smell the diesel fumes quite a bit. I am hoping once our nostrils turn black, we won’t notice it. That being said, it would be impossible to sit out on a side balcony without the plexiglass wind deflectors that other Princess ships have. It’s cold. I’m not complaining about the cold and I wish all my hot friends back home could enjoy just a little of it. (“Hot” friends? Hmmmm)

AFT BALCONY, BABY!!! Rex and I spotted our first whales at 1:04 PM. For fifteen minutes we watched them. One just kept slapping his tail over and over again. We saw countless breaches. You miss all of that if you are not aft. Wow! What a show! Gimee somemore diesel fumes.

More of the day later…..

A couple of questions, please -- what was your cabin number and HOW cold was it?

We are doing this same cruise next year and have an aft balcony booked.

Thanks,

Mary Lou

We're going on the next cruise (6/25-7/9), and your notes are really helping to get us excited. This is our first trip to Alaska - we can't wait! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us!

Lori

ok this will be quick

If you are doing the Alaska run this season

YOU MUST book the Columbia Glaciar Cruise...

more details to follow, but it was a phenomenal day...

and I got to hold a bergy bit that they fished out of the water!

cool!

this isn't a copy and paste...so more later when I compose off line!!

BOOK THIS SHOREX!!!!!!!!

ok this will be quick

If you are doing the Alaska run this season

YOU MUST book the Columbia Glaciar Cruise...

more details to follow, but it was a phenomenal day...

and I got to hold a bergy bit that they fished out of the water!

cool!

this isn't a copy and paste...so more later when I compose off line!!

BOOK THIS SHOREX!!!!!!!!

Great to hear! I have booked this one for the July 9th sailing!

22 days and best news, my daughter just got a teaching job! Woohoo!

KD

Best deal on the ship for us has been Ryan’s classes in the gym. He has a whole series of classes, and you can attend for $12 per class, or $60 to cover everything. I’ve done yoga for 5 years and he’s VERY good. Attending my second Tai Chi class today. He’s been doing Tai Chi for 11 years and we really enjoy the class!. Definitely the best fitness instructor we’ve had! Ryan also teaches pilates.

Here’s a shot of Pacific Princess at Valdez. The 2nd photo of Dall’s porpoise was taken during the Columbia Glacier tour.

567360145_worvD-L.jpg

567359909_ZHrfb-L.jpg

A couple of questions, please -- what was your cabin number and HOW cold was it?

We are doing this same cruise next year and have an aft balcony booked.

Thanks,

Mary Lou

It was frigid. But remember, the AFTS are warmer than the side balconies. We are in 6093.

Skagway June 15, 2009

Diane and I finally relented and purchased coffee cards. You can only get fresh brewed coffee in the Pacific lounge and the Club Bar but I think it is worth the investment. I don’t care anything about the specialty coffees so this card should last me a long time and guarantee that I get a cup of coffee in the AM that I can enjoy. Unfortunately, the club bar does not open until 7:30 AM so early addicts have to wait around for their first cup or drink the brown swill.

We arrived in Skagway around 5AM. I love the approach to the town. It seems so remote on the narrow fjord surrounded by snow-covered mountains. We did not plan an excursion as we have been there many times before and have taken the White Pass Rail into the Yukon as well as renting a car to drive to Emerald Lake and Carcross. However, we highly recommend all of those things.

The weather was very nice in the early AM but the wind picked up and the temperature began dropping. It was drizzling rain most of the day. We toured the town on foot, stopping at the Red Onion Saloon for refreshments. We later found a grocery store and purchased a few supplies.

Rex collects hatpins so we made the obligatory purchase at the saloon as well as the Alaska T Shirt Co. He has made friends with Arky, an assistant headwaiter, and both being collectors, they have started swapping pins. He gave Rex a C.R.U.I.S.E pin (I am taking that as he already has one) and a Trinidad and Tobago pin. Our neighbors are from Trinidad so the pin has meaning for that reason as well as receiving it from a crewmember.

Sea Day June 16, 2009

Sea Days are my favorite. You have nowhere to go and nothing to do so relaxing and looking for sea life are the highlights of the day.

We looked forward to the ‘Most Traveled Passengers’ luncheon, hosted by Captain Servillo and his Senior Officers. This is always one of our favorite things.

We sat with the senior doctor. He is very personable and engagingly conversational. There were 48 passengers in attendance. I was surprised at the number. Lunch was in Sabatini’s. For those interested, the menu is as follows (verbatim):

Seafood Medley Mille Feuille with Cardinal Sauce

Sunrise Lime Sorbet with a dash of aged tequila (great way to shoot tequila)

Broiled Medallion of Alaskan Halibut with Cilantro Pesto Crust accompanied with beurre blanc sauce, sautéed baby vegetable and new potatoes

Or

Slowly Roasted Slice of Veal Loin “auFour” Gratinated with sautéed Sweetbreads, Asparagus Tips and creamed Mushrooms Ragout Served with Pan Gravy, Bouquet of Vegetable and mixed Pilaf Rice

Or

Pasta Luculuss Traditional Light Pasta Dish from Sicily, Italy Served with Fresh Tomato, Basil and Eggplant

Tartufo Circled with Fresh Summer Berries Treasure

Coffee or Tea

Petit Fours

…………

We returned to the cabin to spend the sea day wearing our flammies (flannel pajamas) on the balcony. The day that began with frigid rain, cleared off early, and became wonderfully warm and sunny.

I feel the need to make an interjection here. For the most part, Rex and I cruise alone. This is our third cruise with Keith and Diane and forth with Diane. Keith and Diane have been our friends for close to 25 years. We cruise together, camp together, and spend many weekends together. We tend to revert to immature, childish (some may say obnoxious behavior) when together. We are comfortable. Consequently, considerable effort is applied to this cruise journal to maintain an ambiance of “Fun for the Whole Family’s Reading Enjoyment”. We try to make folks at ease on the balconies next to us and hopefully project an infectiously obtuse, “Y’all come over”.

Before dinner, we went to the club bar and had a couple of martinis. I do not drink martinis unless I am on a cruise so after an obligatorily brief grazing moment at the buffet we retired to the cabin shortly thereafter.

Valdez June 17, 2009

We met the shuttle on the pier (old school bus that had been painted white) at 8:15 AM. We took the Columbia Glacier Cruise with Stan Stevens Tours. It really was with Stan Stevens as he piloted the boat. As we have done before, we photographed whales, puffins, dolphins, eagles, and sea lions. But, new to us was the magnificently surreal splendor of the iceberg experience at Columbia Glacier. I thought I had seen icebergs before but they were ice cubes in comparison. We went right into the iceberg field, winding our way in and about these incredible giants. It was an out-of-this-world experience. They are enormous, the size of cruise ships and goodness-knows-how-deep. We could see the glacier, though we were ten miles from it. The scenery was amazing with frosty sky, the blue green water, the whales, the otters, eagles, dolphins, sea lions, the magnificent icebergs, “ooohs”, and “ahhhs”. Alaska is indescribable and impossible to capture with camera though our 2300 photographs prove we keep trying.

[Personal note to Mom: I think of you a great deal while I am here. I want so much for you to cruise to Alaska with me. You must! The beauty of the icebergs and my desire to share it with you brought tears to my eyes. You must see this. You must!]

I am happy to report that the bonus for the day was getting to meet some fellow Cruise Critics Members on the tour today. It’s always fun to add faces and voices to our on-line CC Buddies!

Mountainhouse, your pictures are adding so much to this Live. Thank you to you as well as to pamwinn and where2next. You are all doing a great job.

Which program do you use to upload your pictures to in order to post them on CC? Is it easy to do from the ship?

The Columbia Glacier Tour sounds wonderful. Was that a private excursion or a Princess excursion? If private, do you know if the Princess excursion is as nice? I would love to be able to get as close to a glacier as you did.

Thanks -

cindy

Archived