Cruising with 9-month old -- any advice?

laurie929

We are cruising as a family to Alaska on the Star and we will be bringing our 9 month old.

Is there a time she can use the children's play area with us? Is there anything appropriate for her?

I use warm water to mix her formula - will I be able to get this on the ship or should I pack ready to feed formula? Is there any food that is baby friendly on the ship or shall I pack baby food?

Are there any exercusions that she can do and not be too in the way or disruptive to others?

Are there kid books in the library?

I will take any advice!!!

Thank you in advance for your help!

There are minimum ages on many excursions, so you will need to check into those. The biggest help to you would be to check out the family cruising board. There are many people that cruise with little ones (ours was 3.5 years old on our first cruise) and they will have line-specific info.

Get a small, lightweight stroller.

We use the Combi strollers when traveling with the little ones. They are well made, aluminum weighing about 10lbs and fold up tight. Much sturdier than those cheap umbrella strollers. Cabin room is limited, so you don't want a big cadillac stroller.

Small knapsack/diaperbag when on board instead of carrying the suitcase baby bag.

Our daughter began her first attempt at cruising at the age of 15 months. She is now 13 and has been on 14 cruises ( Paris, Rome, Hawaii and all over the caribbean)! She took her first steps on the ship, now that should have been a sign of things to come!

There is a lot of help on cruise ships for little ones,

1. order your hot water from room service for formula whenever you need it, you can also get it on the buffet typically. I have invested in one of those old fashion electric water heaters for coffee cups, etc, they work wonders in a pinch.

2. bring that trusty stroller; you can take it everywhere, land and sea.

3. bring a pool float for the little one, she (or he) can have fun in the pool, one of those that the baby sits in ( we have the cutest photo of our daugher in hers)

4. Bring the babys favorite food, cruise ships do have things like soups and some mushed up veggies, but bring your own. They typically have juices, but if you are picky, bring your own. We took lots of stuff with us to keep our little one fed, and then we had lots of space in the suitcase for all the junk I bought during the trip.

5. Bring toys, enough for the cruise, favorite books for the plane ride as well.

6. Bring your camera

7. Enjoy the ride, your baby will have a ball, and you will make memories for years to come.

I just returned from a cruise with my 9 month old. Bring your own mini crib sheets/pack n play sheets. The cruise ships just wrap a twin comforter/sheet around the p n p mat - which is totally unsafe for safe sleeping. Make sure you have enough diapers and formula and those scented dirty diaper bags for messy diapers so they don't smell up your cabin.

Ditto on the tiny stroller- be prepared to have everyone ohhh and awe at the baby. The babies eat it up too. I didn't bring a lot of toys only 4 of his favorite chewing toys. I brought 4 jars of baby food but I found plenty of food on the buffet for him such as cheese, bread, fruit that I would tear into pea size pieces or mush for him. He especially loved the shredded cheese used for salads.

Things that I bought for the trip that were a total waste were the disposable place mats that stick to the table and the sticky bibs. He ripped them off first thing. Uggh. I just used warmed water from the bathroom tap for his bottles.

OH and don't forget any teething medicines you might need.

Archived