Diving in Tahiti

CruisinCoach

I am doing a 10-day South Pacific cruise and will be in Tahiti, Huahine, Raiatea, Rangiroa, Bora Bora, and Moorea. I can probably afford to dive in only two of these locations and just snorkel in the others. I am leaning towards diving in Bora Bora and Rangiroa, but I want some opinions from those of you that have dove these sites and what companies you have used. I am not planning on bringing my own gear, so I will have to rent, so that could weigh into my decision.

Thanks in advance

I am doing a 10-day South Pacific cruise and will be in Tahiti, Huahine, Raiatea, Rangiroa, Bora Bora, and Moorea. I can probably afford to dive in only two of these locations and just snorkel in the others. I am leaning towards diving in Bora Bora and Rangiroa, but I want some opinions from those of you that have dove these sites and what companies you have used. I am not planning on bringing my own gear, so I will have to rent, so that could weigh into my decision.

Thanks in advance

Hey there fellow Southern Californian,

I just went to Tahiti last October. We stayed on Moorea for 4 days then the 10 cruise. We went diving in Moorea, Riatea and Bora Bora. We used Bathy's dive shop in Moorea & Bora Bora. They are newer with almost all new equipment. My friends rented BC's. Very nice. I brought my own. And in Riatea, we used either Atmosphere or Hemisphere dive shop through the ship. They were good but I enjoyed Bathy's better.

We also snorkeled in Moorea several days, Huahine, Rangiroa, Bora Bora. It was a bunch of fun. The snorkeling is awesome.

Any further questions, just ask. And here's the link to my review. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=49024

You'll love diving in French Polynesia! All the islands are different, so try as many as you can.....one thing they all have in common though, is sharks.....mostly cute little Black Tips....they get to be like puppy dogs by the end of your trip:D

On our trip in '06 aboard the Tahitian Princess, we set up dives in Bora Bora & Moorea with Top Dive and were pleased with them. Thought the Bora Bora op was a little better though. On Raiatea, we used Hemisphere. I understand that Bathy's has taken over management of the Top Dive location in Bora Bora, so I think they are the up & coming Operator in the area. Both Top Dive & Bathy's have locations on several islands & offer multi dive pkgs That a couple can split. Diving is rather expensive there.

On our trip last year on the Star Flyer, we used the dive operation on the ship as it was small & only 6 divers could go out on the Zodiac. The DM's were from the ship, & on each island, a guide from a local Dive Shop would accompany us. Pat from Bathy's was with us in Moorea & we thought he was great. Interestingly, on Raiatea, Stephanie who was our DM from Hemisphere when we visited in '06, was our guide on this past trip.....it was nice to meet up with her again.

There are pics from both trips and video from the past trip in the following link:

http://gallery.mac.com/csealove

Oh, by the way, great report on the TP, Deb!

Mike

Thanks for the input and links to your review and pics. I enjoyed them. I am cruising solo and its good to know that there might actually be some other solos or singles on board and not just all honeymoon couples. I am most looking forward to the sharks. I have almost 100 dives and have only seen a nurse shark.

You'll love diving in French Polynesia! All the islands are different, so try as many as you can.....one thing they all have in common though, is sharks.....mostly cute little Black Tips....they get to be like puppy dogs by the end of your trip:D

On our trip in '06 aboard the Tahitian Princess, we set up dives in Bora Bora & Moorea with Top Dive and were pleased with them. Thought the Bora Bora op was a little better though. On Raiatea, we used Hemisphere. I understand that Bathy's has taken over management of the Top Dive location in Bora Bora, so I think they are the up & coming Operator in the area. Both Top Dive & Bathy's have locations on several islands & offer multi dive pkgs That a couple can split. Diving is rather expensive there.

On our trip last year on the Star Flyer, we used the dive operation on the ship as it was small & only 6 divers could go out on the Zodiac. The DM's were from the ship, & on each island, a guide from a local Dive Shop would accompany us. Pat from Bathy's was with us in Moorea & we thought he was great. Interestingly, on Raiatea, Stephanie who was our DM from Hemisphere when we visited in '06, was our guide on this past trip.....it was nice to meet up with her again.

There are pics from both trips and video from the past trip in the following link:

http://gallery.mac.com/csealove

Oh, by the way, great report on the TP, Deb!

Mike

Thanks Mike.....lol. And what he said above. It's all good. lol. Glad to see you online. We all thought you took off to Tahiti again and left us. lol.

Here are my photos.

www.gallery.me.com/cruisegirl

Thanks for the input and links to your review and pics. I enjoyed them. I am cruising solo and its good to know that there might actually be some other solos or singles on board and not just all honeymoon couples. I am most looking forward to the sharks. I have almost 100 dives and have only seen a nurse shark.

You'll see lot's of sharks. Majority are Black Tip reef sharks. And lot's of Stingrays. My fav's were the Nemo clownfish. I love them. And the ray's.

Don't worry about being single. It's not all honeymooners. We were 3 single gals that went. Tons of fun.

Archived