Wi-fi on the Freedom

Can someone tell me how good the wi-fi is on the Freedom? Also, can you purchase unlimited minutes or just minute blocks? And can you share the minutes over different computers or is it tied to one machine? I'm really hoping to use it for my laptop as well as for the wi-fi on my iPhone.

Thanks!

We got off the Freedom last Saturday. The Wi-Fi works very well. You do have to purchase blocks of minutes. If you don't you will have to pay by the minute .75 cents. Not sure if you can share minutes between two devices though. I purchased a 100 minute block for $55.00 to use the duration of our cruise.

Can someone tell me how good the wi-fi is on the Freedom? Also, can you purchase unlimited minutes or just minute blocks? And can you share the minutes over different computers or is it tied to one machine? I'm really hoping to use it for my laptop as well as for the wi-fi on my iPhone.

Thanks!

I just got home from being on the 6/7 Splendor Long Beach-Astoria-Victoria-Vancouver-LB cruise. I have to say that I was really disappointed with the internet service on the ship, and here's why: you can purchase 100 minutes for $55, 250 minutes for $100 or do 75 cents/minute, pay as you go. If you run over your alloted time, they will then charge your sail and sign account at the pay as you go rate.

You can bring your laptop and use wi-fi at the same rates.

Here's my problem: a lot of us (myself excluded) have more than just surfing to do on the net (checking e-mail, doing work-related stuff, checking stocks, etc.), and ALL of the cruise lines need to embrace the fact that internet use is for most a convenience but for some a necessity. I put on my comment card that prices for internet usage on the ship need to be significantly lowered if not provided for free. The technology is there but I view those prices as simply being fleeced. I ended up doing a lot my e-mail and surfing in internet cafes onshore during port calls.

Thanks for the replies. Doesn't sound like it is worth it. I'm trying to figure out how it charges minutes on devices like my iPhone that is constantly checking for email.

Your phone is most likely going to roam at "at-sea" rates, which I can only imagine is like calling the moon for how much it'll cost. I'd wait to get into port and finding an internet cafe, which is way cheaper.

Archived