Where to take a taxi?

ArmyWife82490

My DH is absolutely against going through Carnival for our shore excursions, and would prefer to not do a tour guide as well. He really wants to just get off the ship, jump in a taxi, and go somewhere. Any ideas of where to go that are nearby? TIA!

My DH is absolutely against going through Carnival for our shore excursions, and would prefer to not do a tour guide as well. He really wants to just get off the ship, jump in a taxi, and go somewhere. Any ideas of where to go that are nearby? TIA!
Cozumel and Roatan are two very easy ports to do on your own via cab. We research the boards, pick out what we want to do and grab a cab. In 8 trips to Coz we have never taken a ship tour. Now Belize and Costa Maya are another story. We usually book with local tour guides there.

We have done Paradise Beach, PalMar Beach Estates, Chankanaab Park twice, Playa Palancar and took a trip to Coconuts on the east side. We have had a great time at all of them. One trip, when it was raining, we just loafed around town. There are some real bargains if you get back several blocks from the waterfront and the food is fantastic. I am going to postpone my search for the perfect fajita. This next trip I am looking for some Cochinita Pibil. Grilled pork shoulder. The Yucatan version is cooked in banana leaves. Expect a full review.

Clackey - I will be expecting a full review :) Although, I might help you in your search for the perfect fajita when I go in August.

I've been doing some research, and I think I've convinced my DH that we could go to that natural rock bridge and a lighthouse on the east side (since it's a fascination of mine). I'm kinda nervous, but I've scanned through one post talking about hiring a taxi driver ahead of time and that may settle my nerves.

• 1 month later...
.... I am going to postpone my search for the perfect fajita. This next trip I am looking for some Cochinita Pibil. Grilled pork shoulder. The Yucatan version is cooked in banana leaves. Expect a full review.

There are a few street vendors in Playa Del Carmen that do an awesome Cochinita Pibil, using true suckling pig. They usually run out by 11 am and are way off of 5th ave though, closer to 307.

There are a few street vendors in Playa Del Carmen that do an awesome Cochinita Pibil, using true suckling pig. They usually run out by 11 am and are way off of 5th ave though, closer to 307.

Muchas gracias, amigo. I will definately remember that. Oops, I just drooled on my keyboard.

Hi,

Chankanaab park is about 10 minutes away by taxi and if I remember maybe 10.00 each way, anyway it's cheap.

It has a long beach, great snorkeling, free chairs and swimming with the dolphins all in the same place. this is the website http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/parks-chankanaab.asp

Have fun

Lise:)

We have been trying to decide what to do in Cozumel as well. We want to shop around the port and go to a beach for a little bit....Chankanabb Park sounds interesting. Do you have to make any minimum purchases, as they expect at other beaches. We just want to go to a beach for an hour or two without, having to worry about buying drinks or a lunch. Is the beach rocky or sandy?? Thanks in advance for any info!!

Muchas gracias, amigo. I will definately remember that. Oops, I just drooled on my keyboard.

The carts near Juarez and 5th are good, but they're usually pork shoulder. The guy closer to 307 spoke zero english but had the real deal. I'm trying to find the directions for you that I was given to get to the cart near 307.

Ah, there it is.... Cart on 12th Street and 20th Ave. Not too far to walk.

Snork,

I hadn't planned on a ferry ride but you may have changed my mind. I like PDC for the food and beaches but I never wanted to take a 45 minute ferry ride just for food.:rolleyes: Thanks for the address. I will file it away under things to see and do.;)

elsplace2,

Chank has plenty to see and do, but they charge an entry fee of $12 or $14@, or it was the last time that we were there. Google them and check out their website. I believe that Cozumelinsider had a coupon for $2 off. If you just want a couple of hours you are better off hitting Paradise Beach, but they do ask that you by $10 worth of food. Click on these for more info. www.cozumelinsider.com and www.cozumelmycozumel.com.

Snork,

I hadn't planned on a ferry ride but you may have changed my mind. I like PDC for the food and beaches but I never wanted to take a 45 minute ferry ride just for food.:rolleyes: Thanks for the address. I will file it away under things to see and do.;)

We're doing a land vacation this Nov in PDC at the GPR and thanks to your post jogging my memory I'll be hiking up 12th for a 10 am lunch several times. :D

Archived