Why does Carnival charge a gratuity for mini-bar items?

lovesublime

I'm the op and thus far no one has commented on my comment that I perceive the 15% fee as a type of punitive charge. It's as if Carnival is saying 'go ahead and help yourself to the mini-bar, but if you do.....' Does Carnival really not want to sell as many of those drinks as possible?

I don't know if you are being deliberately obtuse or you really don't get it.

The mini-bar prices are the same as any other bar on the ship. There is a 15% restocking fee, at any other bar on the ship there is a 15% gratuity. If you order a drink from room service it is the same price with a 15% gratuity.

You get the drinks in your room at the same price with the convenience of not having to leave the room, or pick up the phone and wait for room service.

Yeesh. :rolleyes:

My guess.. is the 15% probably goes to the bar back.. those in charge of keeping the inventory supplied, stocked and waiting..

But I never really thought about it before. this thread... I just did again... .. oops.. there it goes.. going going gone..

Done

Who cares... ;)

My guess.. is the 15% probably goes to the bar back.. those in charge of keeping the inventory supplied, stocked and waiting..

But I never really thought about it before. this thread... I just did again... .. oops.. there it goes.. going going gone..

Done

Who cares... ;)

You know, I guess I really don't care either. I was just curious about that 15% in cabin mini-bar gratuity on our S&S statements. "Gratuity" for what is what I was wondering. I'm not cheap, I'm not a steward abuser, I was just curious.

I don't know if you are being deliberately obtuse or you really don't get it.

The mini-bar prices are the same as any other bar on the ship. There is a 15% restocking fee, at any other bar on the ship there is a 15% gratuity. If you order a drink from room service it is the same price with a 15% gratuity.

You get the drinks in your room at the same price with the convenience of not having to leave the room, or pick up the phone and wait for room service.

Yeesh. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I guess I really just don't get it. We stay at very nice hotels that have bars and restaurants on the premises and have never been charged an added 'gratuity or restocking fee' for taking items from the mini-bar. Yes, the items are outrageously priced, but at least they don't tack on a 'fee'. And yes, the term "restocking fee" sounds punitive to me. It's like when you try to take an item back to the store-they may charge a restocking fee. We have a huge electronics store here called Fry's. They make it as difficult as possible to return items-doesn't matter the reason. The one time I did return something (after they hasseled me for 30 minutes) they charged me 20% of the purchase price as a restocking fee. So, I got a refund, minus 20% of what I actually spent. What's that? Looks like a punishment to me.

You know, I guess I really don't care either. I was just curious about that 15% in cabin mini-bar gratuity on our S&S statements. "Gratuity" for what is what I was wondering. I'm not cheap, I'm not a steward abuser, I was just curious.

I understand what you are asking.. I get it.. But I dont think any of us really know the answer.....

:confused:

Just because you question something about your money does not make you cheap.. !:)

Yeah, I guess I really just don't get it. We stay at very nice hotels that have bars and restaurants on the premises and have never been charged an added 'gratuity or restocking fee' for taking items from the mini-bar. Yes, the items are outrageously priced, but at least they don't tack on a 'fee'. And yes, the term "restocking fee" sounds punitive to me. It's like when you try to take an item back to the store-they may charge a restocking fee. We have a huge electronics store here called Fry's. They make it as difficult as possible to return items-doesn't matter the reason. The one time I did return something (after they hasseled me for 30 minutes) they charged me 20% of the purchase price as a restocking fee. So, I got a refund, minus 20% of what I actually spent. What's that? Looks like a punishment to me.

You're not obtuse lovesublime, the hard headed peeps here that refuse to listen to what you're saying and questioning are.

You've been very clear and concise in your posts. It's simply others, either trying to get a rise out of you or wanting to inject their opinion unrelated to the post, that has made this gravitate to level it has.

And a few peeps that I wish to make a sales call on soon. The way they waste money, I can retire 10 years ahead of schedule. I'll just call the "extra" a restocking fee. LMAO!!!

To make sure you get your 15% worth, next time ask for a cabin farthest away. But it doesn't sound like you take advantage of extra service Carnival can provide you, anyway.

If she's at the cabin farthest away, shouldn't she now tip extra for all the additional steps the steward had to take? We wouldn't want her to be cheap now would we? :eek: :D

We did several times. He never once answered the phone. It wasn't a biggie cause we were able to get drinks elsewhere but still....

Call the purser and ask for a cabin closer to your steward.

If that doesn't work try the floor supervisor and then the hotel director.

If she's at the cabin farthest away, shouldn't she now tip extra for all the additional steps the steward had to take? We wouldn't want her to be cheap now would we? :eek: :D

She is what she is, but 15% is the rate. She may take offense to you calling her cheap.

Don't give up. We will still pray for you to be delivered from your affliction.

Bet nola don't tithe 10%. He's too busy lookin at what everybody else is doing. LMAO

Off topic, the more I read here, the more it becomes apparent nola removes the auto tips as well. Those that brag the most, typically spend the least. ;)

I imagine the hotels add on sales tax or other non-negotiable fees.

If you take a coke and replace it with one of kerbie's cokes, there is no charge and no 15%. problem solved.

Once you open an item, it can no longer be sold as new - it is now an open box item and sells for less than a new item, even if both are unused. Why should a retailer pay for buyer's remorse?

{but Fry's Electronics is a special breed of b*stard}

Bet nola don't tithe 10%. He's too busy lookin at what everybody else is doing. LMAO

Off topic, the more I read here, the more it becomes apparent nola removes the auto tips as well. Those that brag the most, typically spend the least. ;)

Your affliction is worse that I thought. We may have to perform an exorcism.

Unlike you, I have no ego that needs constant feeding.

You're not obtuse lovesublime, the hard headed peeps here that refuse to listen to what you're saying and questioning are.

You've been very clear and concise in your posts. It's simply others, either trying to get a rise out of you or wanting to inject their opinion unrelated to the post, that has made this gravitate to level it has.

And a few peeps that I wish to make a sales call on soon. The way they waste money, I can retire 10 years ahead of schedule. I'll just call the "extra" a restocking fee. LMAO!!!

Thanks! I think most people here understand what I'm saying. I'm sure if I called Carnival and talked to 12 different people, I would get 12 different answers in regards to this issue. Not that I have the time or inclination to do that. Again, it's not a big deal, I just think Carnival should be more clear about what exactly the charge really is. BTW, we cruised with NCL not long before our Spirit cruise. I don't recall the mini-bar items having an added gratuity or whatever. Our final statement only listed the items at the price posted in the cabin.

I hear ya about the early retirement. My DH is desperately working on that. He's only 42 and wants to retire by 50.

I imagine the hotels add on sales tax or other non-negotiable fees.

If you take a coke and replace it with one of kerbie's cokes, there is no charge and no 15%. problem solved.

Once you open an item, it can no longer be sold as new - it is now an open box item and sells for less than a new item, even if both are unused. Why should a retailer pay for buyer's remorse?

{but Fry's Electronics is a special breed of b*stard}

Fry's is indeed a special breed of b*stard. If you want to return something, even if it's defective, they direct you to the 'person in charge' who jacks you up to no end. Plus, they don't take AMEX. Not my favorite store.

The stateroom on my last NCL (Spirit) not to be confused with Carnival (Spirit) cruise didn't have a refrigerator, so would be a non-issue. The cabin steward was happy to keep my portable cooler filled with ice, same as Carnival, no charge and no service charge.

Unlike NCL, Carnival doesn't hassle you if you pack a suitcase full of booze. Ask KF.

The stateroom on my last NCL (Spirit) not to be confused with Carnival (Spirit) cruise didn't have a refrigerator, so would be a non-issue. The cabin steward was happy to keep my portable cooler filled with ice, same as Carnival, no charge and no service charge.

Unlike NCL, Carnival doesn't hassle you if you pack a suitcase full of booze. Ask KF.

We've never packed or smuggled booze so I wouldn't know. I don't care if others do, but I already have enough trouble managing my already overstuffed bags without dealing with the potential for liquor or wine spilling out everywhere-plus there's the airline weight issue. I would rather be packing shoes than booze.

As I have previously posted, we always buy a bar set up in advance. It's a convenience isssue (NCL offers this just like Carnival). Also, I like having the bottled water right there and my DH likes taking out a beer without having to go to a bar.

We normally don't order room service, so having readily available orange juice first thing in the a.m. is a plus. The one thing I do order from room service is tomato juice (I'm heavily addicted) and yes, we do tip the steward making the delivery. I"M NOT CHEAP!

If I should lose my mind and utilize the mini bar in my cabin I would increase my additional tip to the steward since he would have had to provide me with additional services. So I would like to know who gets this 15%. It is never going to be an issue for me but I am always curious.

Archived