Why does Carnival charge a gratuity for mini-bar items?

lovesublime

A lot of people don't seem to want to carry a 12 pack of so of coke through the embarkation process. They want others to do it for them but balk at paying for the convenience and service. :confused::confused:

Or most people just won't drink from the mini bar because of the lame 15% charge:D

One UNFAILING RULE of life. WHENEVER someone says, "It is NOT the money, its the principle!" Its the MONEY! ALWAYS!

Right? I have also alway loved statements like "I don't mean to sound cheap....". Talk about an open book!

I've never really thought about it until now. I did notice on our last two cruises that we were charged a 15% gratuity for taking items in the fridge.

I am only guessing that someone has to stock the fridge. I always tell the Cabin Steward to just keep the fridge locked.

Fred

So let me get this straight, you punished the steward for something he/she has absolutely no control over. It is the cruise line charging the 15% not the Steward. If you don't like this policy write to Carnival, and/or put it on your comment cards, but it seems unfair to either reduce the Steward's tip or not give him extra for an otherwise good job because of something outside their control.

The guy misreported what was consumed. They didnt change to automatic just didnt give him any extra. WTH can a cabin stewart not do for yall not to give em tips.. do they literally have to take a #(% on your floor. comon yah.. stop being ridiculus

One UNFAILING RULE of life. WHENEVER someone says, "It is NOT the money, its the principle!" Its the MONEY! ALWAYS!

No Dan, it's the principle. If the coke was listed at $2.01 (i.e., $1.75 plus $0.26), this thread wouldn't have happened. But when Carnival does its best to hide the extra twenty-six cents in a bogus "gratuity", it rightfully annoys the customers who would rather see the cruise line be more honest and upfront about its charges.

With Dan it's more the opportunity to make take a shot at a poster. That's his MO.

When someone makes even the slightest criticism of Carnival out come the pom poms and the venom for the poster.

Pretty sad, really.

Dr. Jack

Thanks, Jack. I think you're right.

And too bad about your club on Friday. In October, I picked Osgood in a pool to win the Conn Smythe and was one win away from cashing in (no thread hijack intended here).

I guess it's not a big deal, but I'm just wondering how Carnival justifies charging a gratuity for a self serve mini-fridge...

I think you answered your own question - Carnival Figures if you're willing to pay $1.95 for a coke - another 30 cents will not be a big deal to you.

I think the techincal term is "Nickle and Diming."

MePete, I did. And I stand by my previous statement.

In the future, try not to assume what others have/have not read. It only makes you look more foolish. :rolleyes: :p

Then advance directly to post #28.

But think, if you could get the booze in your fridge without the gratuity, they would lose customers at the bar where it would always cost 15%more. You could just get all your beers from the fridge, and order virgin drinks at the bar to throw your little bottle of rum or vodka etc. into. Cheap, maybe. But you'd save nearly a buck on alcohol. This adds up big time over the week!

If there were no gratuity in your room, they would lose that 15% for everything you drink. I know I'd just drink my room beer if it was cheaper than the bar, and however many other people decided to do that, then you're cutting into the gratuities pot for the bartending staff.

For a business, the gratuities in the room just make sense.

Well, I've had my moment of clarity for the day. have a good one!

He! He He! You should be working as a Carnival manager! The most convincing answer to this question so far! Now I can understand.

No Dan, it's the principle. If the coke was listed at $2.01 (i.e., $1.75 plus $0.26), this thread wouldn't have happened. But when Carnival does its best to hide the extra twenty-six cents in a bogus "gratuity", it rightfully annoys the customers who would rather see the cruise line be more honest and upfront about its charges.

Perhaps if you go back to post#11 and click on the link. Then read and comprehend what is shown there, especially the very last line. Ror youe enlightenment, although I'm not expecting it to do any good since it IS about the money, but here is the link:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2000091770085339509HjQfyR

The prices are quite clear AS WELL as the restocking charge. Since you obviously enjoy picking out a small part of a complete statement to fit your 'bogus" position. I nor anyone else is responsible for your mistaken opinions.

Further misstatements by you, Read about ANY thread about Carnival rules and rule enforcement. No one knocks them more for pitiful adherence to their own rules.

Read what I have said about Carnival's beef dishes, barely edible, excepting the supper club.

Further READ what I have said about CCL's new ships compared to RCL's new ships. To save you the time to read what you may ALSO misunderstand, I have OFTEN said that CCL has been stretching, stacking, and widening the same design since the FANTASY class and that RCL clearly has the superior ships.

So the MOST bogus statements are your conclusions, at odds with facts.

Its the money! All 25 or 30 cents.

A Coke=$1.75 + Restock/gratuity of 15% = 26 CENTS

Am I mistaken, or is 26 CENTS the problem???

Obviously removal of ALL auto-tips is called for, along with a stern letter to Carnival HQ. Copies to AP, Reuters, NBC, CBS, et al....

Just charge it all to dan40's room. Afterall, it's only 26 CENTS. How could he complain? If he did, he would be...........

ROTFLMAO

Archived