Why does Carnival charge a gratuity for mini-bar items?

lovesublime

Trock, thats pretty much what the op stated.....

But what I am saying is I dont care about the gratuity.. its convenient for me ;) and not necessarily addressing just the OP

And as far as I remember... hotels in NYC charge gratuity on the mini bar-

But what I am saying is I dont care about the gratuity.. its convenient for me ;) and not necessarily addressing just the OP

And as far as I remember... hotels in NYC charge gratuity on the mini bar-[/quote]

Really? That's good to know.........I have never stayed in a hotel that does........

Thanks! I will remember that if I get out your way:D

And as far as I remember... hotels in NYC charge gratuity on the mini bar-[/quote]

Really? That's good to know.........I have never stayed in a hotel that does........

Thanks! I will remember that if I get out your way:D

not all but some do.. you have to read the fine print.. some are as high as 18% BYOB.. and you dont even have to sneak it in!

;)

How could I mistake that for judgment?

I'm judge-mental about all things at all times, I know it. It does not bother me. I think we ALL ARE all the time.

If you do not wish to be seen as judge-mental, then stop being judge-mental. Maybe you can fool yourself.

I'm not sure you can characterize someone as judge-mental without appearing judgmental yourself. ;)

not all but some do.. you have to read the fine print.. some are as high as 18%

;)

Learn something new everyday........I would never touch anything in those hotel honor bars........now that I know some charge more......well my mama always said she didn't raise a fool:D

Learn something new everyday........I would never touch anything in those hotel honor bars........now that I know some charge more......well my mama always said she didn't raise a fool:D

I had to meet some of our sales reps at the W in Times Square with a client.. I paid $24 for a Dirty Martini without a tip!~

No better and no larger than anyother Dirty Martini!!

dan40, your inability to read and comprehend what the op posted is clearly your issue, not mine. You accusing people of being cheap and unwilling to pay 29 cents regardless of what was posted to the contrary is your issue, not mine. You viewing the obvious as a judgement is your issue, not mine.

If your life is lacking in some way and you can make yourself feel better with internet bravado, have it. If accusing people of being cheap makes you somehow feel richer, enjoy.

I'll continue to point out the obvious regardless if it goes over your head. :rolleyes:

There IS an inability to comprehend here. Perhaps this will help you understand that the inability is yours.

judgement:

judgement - an opinion formed by judging something; "he was reluctant to make his judgment known"; "she changed her mind"

judgment,:

opinion, persuasion, sentiment, thought, view - a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty; "my opinion differs from yours"; "I am not of your persuasion"

As previously stated, I know I'm judgemental. Too bad that you fail to realize that, "You viewing the obvious as a judgement is your issue, not mine." IS a judgement by you.

If it is OK for you, do I not have an equal right, and if it is not OK for me, IN YOUR JUDGEMENT, then it is not OK for you either.

And since I have already been judged and found guilty. I will return to the thread subject by saying. That complaining about a 15% restocking/ gratuity charge on a floating resort is either cheap, foolish, or an attempt to blame anything but themselves for their own actions taken devoid of thought or knowledge.

There IS an inability to comprehend here. Perhaps this will help you understand that the inability is yours.

judgement:

judgement - an opinion formed by judging something; "he was reluctant to make his judgment known"; "she changed her mind"

judgment,:

opinion, persuasion, sentiment, thought, view - a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty; "my opinion differs from yours"; "I am not of your persuasion"

As previously stated, I know I'm judgemental. Too bad that you fail to realize that, "You viewing the obvious as a judgement is your issue, not mine." IS a judgement by you.

If it is OK for you, do I not have an equal right, and if it is not OK for me, IN YOUR JUDGEMENT, then it is not OK for you either.

And since I have already been judged and found guilty. I will return to the thread subject by saying. That complaining about a 15% restocking/ gratuity charge on a floating resort is either cheap, foolish, or an attempt to blame anything but themselves for their own actions taken devoid of thought or knowledge.

Whatever it takes to make ya feel good about yourself dan. LMAO

And I'll try and go easy on ya. You've burned up too much of your time trying (and failing) to defend yourself already.

I'm not sure you can characterize someone as judge-mental without appearing judgmental yourself. ;)

I think you will find that I have CLEARLY stated that I am judgemental. About ALL things at all times.

And since I have already been judged and found guilty. I will return to the thread subject by saying. That complaining about a 15% restocking/ gratuity charge on a floating resort is either cheap, foolish, or an attempt to blame anything but themselves for their own actions taken devoid of thought or knowledge. jmo

You forgot the JMO after your sentence:D

Whatever it takes to make ya feel good about yourself dan. LMAO

And I'll try and go easy on ya. You've burned up too much of your time trying (and failing) to defend yourself already.

Now you are judging yourself a winner in an arguement where you made not a single point.

And you also make the judgement that I am defending myself when all I was doing was laughing at you.

You are the one denying being judgemental, I embrace it.

....complaining about a 15% restocking/ gratuity charge on a floating resort is either cheap, foolish, or an attempt to blame anything but themselves for their own actions taken devoid of thought or knowledge.

Dan, Dan, Dan.....Do you not see that OP's post provides an opportunity to become "un-deviod" of the said knowledge.

Perhaps if you go back to post#11 and click on the link. Then read and comprehend what is shown there, especially the very last line. Ror youe enlightenment, although I'm not expecting it to do any good since it IS about the money, but here is the link:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2000091770085339509HjQfyR

The prices are quite clear AS WELL as the restocking charge. Since you obviously enjoy picking out a small part of a complete statement to fit your 'bogus" position. I nor anyone else is responsible for your mistaken opinions.

Further misstatements by you, Read about ANY thread about Carnival rules and rule enforcement. No one knocks them more for pitiful adherence to their own rules.

Its the money! All 25 or 30 cents.

Not sure what the statute of limitations is on responding to a post, but I’ll risk it anyway.

Dan, my point was that when you post a price list with some fine print at the bottom mentioning a 15% “restocking charge”, it is fundamentally misleading and borderline dishonest. Yes, the “restocking charge” is mentioned at the bottom, if you get that far. Obviously, from the responses, many repeat passengers were not aware of this charge. And I’m sure Carnival is counting on that.

I don’t think anyone is complaining about the price (passengers always have the choice not to buy – I certainly brought plenty of soda with me on my last cruise). The consensus on this thread seems to be that the practice of adding a “restocking charge” to a mini-bar purchase is “nickel and diming”.

There is absolutely no reason why they couldn’t include the “restocking charge” in the listed price. It is not a “tax” imposed on them by government (i.e., if it was, there would be some logic to separating the posted cost that represents their revenue from the cost they are required by law to pass on in the form of a tax).

So you have to ask yourself, why do they have a price list and then a separate “restocking charge”? The only logical answer is that they want to mislead people about the total price.

If there is any other reason, I’d like to hear it.

And thanks for posting the copy of the price list and helping me make my case.

Dan, my point was that when you post a price list with some fine print at the bottom mentioning a 15% “restocking charge”, it is fundamentally misleading and borderline dishonest. Yes, the “restocking charge” is mentioned at the bottom, if you get that far. Obviously, from the responses, many repeat passengers were not aware of this charge. And I’m sure Carnival is counting on that.

Baloney. The same "fine" print is on the regular bar menu, and there isn't even a menu if you order from a roaming waiter.

It is no different than a restaurant automatically adding a service charge for parties of 8 or whatever.

In any given population, there will always be cheap people.

Now you are judging yourself a winner in an arguement where you made not a single point.

And you also make the judgement that I am defending myself when all I was doing was laughing at you.

You are the one denying being judgemental, I embrace it.

LMAO. dan40, I am a winner. No two ways about it. And I don't need to belittle people by calling them cheap to improve my status in life either, much less try to defend such boorish behavior. :eek:

Glad I could help ya laugh. You seem like the type person that could really use one. ;)

To me, it boils down to being responsible for educating yourself and processing all the information that is provided. Taking the time to read the price card for the mini-bar, the ticket contract when you book, the waiver you sign when taking excursions that release the companies from laibility, or whatever else may require you to be familiar with the stated rules and regulations.

I actually think that the prices Carnival charges for most things is reasonable, considering they could charge what they want. I lived in Chicago for a few years back in the late 1990's and I know even back THEN, I was paying more for drinks than they charge onboard Carnival NOW.

Baloney. The same "fine" print is on the regular bar menu, and there isn't even a menu if you order from a roaming waiter.

It is no different than a restaurant automatically adding a service charge for parties of 8 or whatever.

In any given population, there will always be cheap people.

It's not an issue of being CHEAP! It's an issue of a b.s. 'restocking fee' for utilizing the mini-bar. What? Is Carnival actually trying to 'discourage' guests from purchasing the drink items by imposing a 'fee' to restock? BTW, we are not CHEAP. On both our Carnival cruises-we purchased bar set-ups for our cabin totallying between $200 and $300. PLUS, we clean out the mini-bar.

Not sure what the statute of limitations is on responding to a post, but I’ll risk it anyway.

I don’t think anyone is complaining about the price (passengers always have the choice not to buy – I certainly brought plenty of soda with me on my last cruise). The consensus on this thread seems to be that the practice of adding a “restocking charge” to a mini-bar purchase is “nickel and diming”.

There is absolutely no reason why they couldn’t include the “restocking charge” in the listed price. It is not a “tax” imposed on them by government (i.e., if it was, there would be some logic to separating the posted cost that represents their revenue from the cost they are required by law to pass on in the form of a tax).

So you have to ask yourself, why do they have a price list and then a separate “restocking charge”? The only logical answer is that they want to mislead people about the total price.

If there is any other reason, I’d like to hear it.

And thanks for posting the copy of the price list and helping me make my case.

Excellent post. I agree completely.

It's not an issue of being CHEAP! It's an issue of a b.s. 'restocking fee' for utilizing the mini-bar. What? Is Carnival actually trying to 'discourage' guests from purchasing the drink items by imposing a 'fee' to restock? BTW, we are not CHEAP. On both our Carnival cruises-we purchased bar set-ups for our cabin totallying between $200 and $300. PLUS, we clean out the mini-bar.

I wouldn't worry about it. The ones calling others cheap most likely spend the least and consume the most freebies offered. ;) :D

Archived