RECENT Cruisers - Shorts in Dining Room

carla1183

As I mentioned yesterday, I asked John Heald to address this and he did so on today's Blog.

Here's his answer:

One last thing which I am sure will be a subject for much discussion again. I will start this by saying thanks again to our friend Host Mach from Cruise Critic who posted this comment.

John, please reply, my friend!!

Sometimes, regardless of what’s written, people follow their own path.

There’s yet another discussion going on about the dress code for the dining rooms. Everyone knows what it says at Carnival.com but the real world experience is VASTLY different. Many people are reporting that the dress in the dining room is no better than what we see at the Lido Deck buffet and I don’t doubt what they’re saying.

I recall last year when the dress code was ‘relaxed’. There was a great deal of objection to the more lax standards and there were many forecasts of exactly what people are reporting now. Are the Maitre d’s no longer enforcing the dress code at all?? If that’s the case, it’s a sad state of affairs, indeed.

Can you offer any wisdom??

Thanks a bunch, my friend!!!

Ciao!!

Host Mach

Well, once again the subject of dress code has arisen and before I comment here is the flyer which is placed in the guest cabins.

dress_co.jpg?w=673&h=826

I have spoken to the senior director in Miami who is responsible for this and he told me that the dining room management a staff endeavor to monitor all the entrances as much as possible in order to ensure that the company dress code is followed…….maybe we could do a little better in this regard so this will be discussed across the fleet.

However……and I know I have said this before so my apologies for repeating myself ………and remember this is just my opinion……I don’t truly understand why what someone else wears affects people’s dining enjoyment. And……why is this limited to cruise ships? Have you or anyone else you have met ever said that you went to a restaurant on land and although the food was great you had to complain to the management because the man on the table opposite had jeans on?………I guess I may be in the minority here and as always I would appreciate your thoughts and we will continue to do our best to enforce our dress code policies.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/06/17/boris-the-dream-maker/#respond

However……and I know I have said this before so my apologies for repeating myself ………and remember this is just my opinion……I don’t truly understand why what someone else wears affects people’s dining enjoyment. And……why is this limited to cruise ships? Have you or anyone else you have met ever said that you went to a restaurant on land and although the food was great you had to complain to the management because the man on the table opposite had jeans on?………I guess I may be in the minority here and as always I would appreciate your thoughts and we will continue to do our best to enforce our dress code policies.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/06/17/boris-the-dream-maker/#respond

:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks John..........my thoughts exactly!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks John..........my thoughts exactly!!!!

Yep... and I've said the same thing myself... even previously in this thread.

I think the rub is that there's a dress code that Carnival publishes. If there's not going to be enforcement of the dress code then it needs to be changed to reflect reality...

:)

As long as people adhere to Carnivals rules, they should be allowed to wear whatever they want. I would love to wear a nice pair of khaki shorts to casual night. Unfortunately, my wife's rules exceed Carnivals and therefore I will be wearing a nice pair of khaki pants, but I won't tuck in my shirt. :p

Good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I allow my dh to wear dress shorts to dinner, but kudos to you for following the law of the wife. As my dh says, happy wife, happy marriage!

My husband is one of those who, although he feels quite comfortable in very formal gear, tux included (I like having the opportunity to dress up), he loves casual clothing the rest of the time, so it seems that both styles are fine and everything in between which as far as we are concern is cool!

We both have a tendency to either overdress or underdress, so it's good to hear that we are unlikely to be alone on this.

My husband is one of those who, although he feels quite comfortable in very formal gear, tux included (I like having the opportunity to dress up), he loves casual clothing the rest of the time, so it seems that both styles are fine and everything in between which as far as we are concern is cool!

We both have a tendency to either overdress or underdress, so it's good to hear that we are unlikely to be alone on this.

It's your cruise and I promise you despite what you may read on here you will see a large variety of dress on the ship. The key is to worry about yourself and enjoy your cruise. The actual cruise population on a Carnival ship would probably laugh if they knew how much of a fuss CC members made over dressing. It's not the RITZ no matter how much people may wish to believe it is. It's a cruise ship and as long as you are within the suggested guidelines you will fit in beautifully :)

on my honeymoon last year on Celebrity we were invited to eat at the Captain's table on formal night. My DH wore a tux, I wore an evening gown. Everyone at our table was very nicely dressed, so no problem there. However, I would rather have been staring at a man underdressed (by the set formal night standards) sitting across the table from me than the guy that was wearing a tux and chewing with his mouth open, loudly, the entire night! Now THAT affected my dinner! :eek:

Miss "butterfly" has wandered off I think...

No, just roflmao at what the simple folk do......(I'm sure you'll have a field day with this one...It's always e-z to infer as alot of you have done and flame people when done anonomously as on these boards)

I just can't believe you can't give up slob night and wear pants to dinner instead of shorts. When and where you wear them certainly says alot about you. Yes, my husband wears shorts, but not to dinner. Ever. And we live in So Cal and also Palm Desert where it reaches over 100 during the summer. It's just decorum.

And BTW, this is our 15th or so cruise with Carnival--lost count.

And to that other poster who wanted to know if I was a professional face reader: facial expressions are not hard to detect. And, the art of "face reading" is called phrenology. It has more to do with the height and width etc of a person's forehead, etc., not reading expressions.

Go ahead, folks, have a field day. I'll be sitting here laughing while you attack the bait like piranas. : D

No, just roflmao at what the simple folk do......(I'm sure you'll have a field day with this one...It's always e-z to infer as alot of you have done and flame people when done anonymously as on these boards)

I just can't believe you can't give up slob night and wear pants to dinner instead of shorts. Yes, my husband wears shorts, but not to dinner. Ever. And we live in So Cal and ilso Palm Desert where it reaches over 100 during the summer. It's just decorum.

Go ahead, folks, have a field day. : D

I don't even have G'ma blocked, but I feel the strong desire to block any of your future post.

It's allowed, but never OK. This is just to accommodate the hill people that are now cruising with the low fares, and they need to eat too.

oh here we go again.. :rolleyes: You do like to make people feel like crap, dont you? that is a very stupid statement!

Carnival. This is our 15th.

My husband doesn't even go ot to dinner at HOME in shorts. He wears PANTS.

I rest on what Mr. Pete says. Guess those are the ones who keep trying to justify wearing shorts.

Does your husband have a tuxedo for when he dines at home too? :rolleyes: oh! and do not forget the white gloves too.

I totally agree with 24butterfly...Is it really SUCH a HUGE effort to slide into a pair of pants and wear a decent shirt to dinner? If it is, then that's what the Lido deck cafeteria/pizza bar/pool bar/room service is for !!!!

Nothing worse than trying to enjoy your evening meal while spotting a crude tattoo on some guy's leg 'cause he's wearing pool shorts in the D.R !!!!

ewww

lol

So I guess if the tattoo is in the arm you will throw up your food? You dont even make sense! How in the world someone in short is going to make you not enjoy your evening? maybe if you mind your own business, your would enjoy your evening. Look straight to the front, never look down.. you know.. so you dont see the disturbing tattoos :rolleyes:

You know what? I don't understand why the way someone is dressed has an affect on someone else. Why the heck do you CARE what the other guys are wearing?

I dress up in the dining room because I LIKE to, but the guy next to me in shorts is not going to detract from my enjoyment of my dinner if he's wearing shorts.

Why be so judgmental of others? Poor self esteem? Control issues?

People follow the dress code and ignore those judgmental folks that think they need to control others. We could psychoanalyze that but really why bother? :D

I agree with u 100%

Even though a lot of people wear khaki/navy shorts doesn't make it OK. Technically only pants (for men) should be worn in the dining room. I am 20 and will be cruising with mother, father, 2 brothers, cousin and boyfriend. All the men in our group will be wearing pants. Besides, dinner is only 2 hours and right after it ends we all go back to the room and change. Suck it up!

no.. YOU suck it up.. as per Carnivals website.. shorts are allowed. ok?

Good for you if you want to wear long pants. Why do people keep insisting on butting in other people's businesses?

DH and I are getting ready for our first Carnival cruise in September. (2 Celebrity, 1 Princess). We are not snobs, but we like to dress up for dinner on the cruises. It just makes it feel special. No, it certainly doesn't hurt us if someone else is in shorts, but it does change our experience. If you had planned a beautiful, elegant wedding, and half of the guests showd up in jeans, it would not "hurt" anyone, but it would change the experience. When we watch the Acadamy Awards and everyone looks so amazing in their tuxedos and ball gowns, there is a certain "feel" there. If half the people were in jeans and tee shirts it would be different. When someone graduates everyone in the ceremony wears a cap and gown. If half the people chose not too, it would have a different "feel". DH and I will probably not make Carnival our number one choice of cruise line for this very reason. Not that we are snobs, but it is just really nice to be dressed up, and in a room full of others looking the same. Like we are all celebrating.

How about if everyone just lets this go and plays nice. Those who want everyone to dress up want it because it adds to their experience. It would be great if Carnival would have 2 dining rooms and designate a more formal dress code for one, and more casual for the other. Carnival... do you hear this?

hmm.. room # 1 for snobs/fashion police, room #2 for hillbillies? :rolleyes:

good grief!

Maybe you should consider other cruiseline other than Carnival.

Archived