Shore excursion decisions Puntarenas Costa Rica

cruizingcouple

We will be in Puntarenas on the 24th of oct docking at 7:00 in the morning until 7:00 p.m. on the serenade of the seas. There is not alot of detailed info about possible shore excursions for the day. We have done some research. We would like to possibly do some kind of aerial tram and also would really like to do some hiking at our own pace with I am sure time left over for some kind of shopping and taking in some local food. We are not zip-liners nor are we rafters or river cruisers. We would really like the opportunity to see some local wildlife outside of cages.RCCL's web site does not have any info for the shore escursions offered yet. If any one with similar interests has been on RCCL to this port and has experienced a shore excursion through them ( we are leaning toward that) any input would be greatly appreciated. Or has visited any of these sites that would be great as well.

1.Monte Verde cloud forest walk

2. La Paz waterfall gardens

3. Tortuga island and Punta Coral

4. Turu Ba Ri tropical park

5. Carara national park

There were also some others that there was not much info on: Paos volcano park, Villa Lapas, Vista Los Suenos, and the town of Sarchi.

Thanks to anyone with info reguarding any of these. Travel happy!

• 2 months later...
We will be in Puntarenas on the 24th of oct docking at 7:00 in the morning until 7:00 p.m. on the serenade of the seas. There is not alot of detailed info about possible shore excursions for the day. We have done some research. We would like to possibly do some kind of aerial tram and also would really like to do some hiking at our own pace with I am sure time left over for some kind of shopping and taking in some local food. We are not zip-liners nor are we rafters or river cruisers. We would really like the opportunity to see some local wildlife outside of cages.RCCL's web site does not have any info for the shore escursions offered yet. If any one with similar interests has been on RCCL to this port and has experienced a shore excursion through them ( we are leaning toward that) any input would be greatly appreciated. Or has visited any of these sites that would be great as well.

1.Monte Verde cloud forest walk

2. La Paz waterfall gardens

3. Tortuga island and Punta Coral

4. Turu Ba Ri tropical park

5. Carara national park

There were also some others that there was not much info on: Paos volcano park, Villa Lapas, Vista Los Suenos, and the town of Sarchi.

Thanks to anyone with info reguarding any of these. Travel happy!

We are going in December and this is what we found from Your lucky tours which is recommended on this site.

I have a good promotion that is Zipline - Jungle Boat - Playa Bonita - Banana Plantation & House Packing to the end shopping, just for $ 90 P/P ( 4 tours in 1) (include transportation/round trip, tour guide and Beverages)

If you compare the price with the ship shore excursions noticed the big difference, just by observing the price of Zipline and Adventure canal, rainforest.

We went to Toubouri when we were in Costa Rica. I thought it was interesting, but I don't know if I would spend my limited time there again. It did give us the chance to see a lot of different plants and we had a guide that explained everything as you do an easy walk through the trails. We hired Tucan Limo Services and they took care of everything for us. Here is our tour--it was private for 2 of us:

Puerto Caldera / Turubari tour

Includes: Transportation, biligungual driver, entrance to Turubari Nature Tour, lunch, visit Orotina.

Price p/person

$ 160.00

In Orotina we stopped at a local open air restaurant and had a local beer. We visited some local fruit stands which were a highlight. I have never seen such huge fruit in my life! We sampled some of the fruit and our guide explained what all the different fruits were.

On the ride to Toubouri we stopped along the way for photos as we wanted. He then took us to a local grocery store so we could pick up some coffee and other items. I always enjoy going into local stores to see what prices are and what they sell outside the tourist areas.

When we got back to the ship the people who went to Sarchi said it wasn't worth it. Some people had wanted to go into SanJose, but couldn't make it due to construction delays so they spent all day sitting in a taxi on the highway and turned around so they wouldn't miss the ship!

Wish I knew how to attach pics, I have some great ones from our day is CR.

Hope this helps a bit--I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Tucan Limo. They worked with what we wanted to do and Ivan, our driver was the best!

Archived