Snorkeling?

ArmyWife82490

Are there any independent tour groups that do snorkeling in Roatan? If not, is it possible to just go to Tabayana Beach (sorry if not spelled right) and just rent equipment to do so?

TIA!

We just got back from Roatan last week. We went snorkeling at Fins and Flippers and had a blast. My teenagers were in the water and snorkeling around the reef for a good 3 hours. They had a guide nearby making sure nobody went the wrong way as the reef is somewhat confusing at first.

They rented equipment there, but we brought our own.

Trust me, you do not need an independent tour group.

• 3 weeks later...

At tabayana beach where do most people enter the water for snorkeling? How far out do I need to go before seeing coral and fish? If the water is calm do I need fins? I read that some of the coral is not so deep and to be careful. Has anyone here had any bad experience.

Are there any independent tour groups that do snorkeling in Roatan? If not, is it possible to just go to Tabayana Beach (sorry if not spelled right) and just rent equipment to do so?

TIA!

I haven't yet been to Tabayana Beach, but I know it's very popular. I think Carnival had an excursion where you could grab a ride back and forth throughout the day. I suspect you could also catch a taxi, but I haven't done that either.

I just thought I'd mention another place over on the West End. We spent part of our day at a place called Half Moon Bay. They had beach chairs by the water, snorkelling right off the beach and the reef area was within swimming distance. They had a restaurant and clean bathrooms. There was no cover charge.

The best part for us is that we got to go offshore snorkelling with a tour guide named Richard. His boat was called the Ocean Explorer. The dock for his boat was at Half Moon bay, but he also picked up others from another West End property. For $15 dollars each, we went out to a place called the Blue Channel. Richard swam along with us as he pointed out the reef and cool fish. The reef was beautiful! there were divers below us in some spots. This was by far the best snorkelling I have ever done. We snorkelled for about 45 minutes or more on the reef and then spent some time at Half Moon Bay. There were quite a few people snorkelling there from the beach.

I can't compare it to Tabayana, but I'll attach a few pics for you. We arranged our day through Victor Bodden tours. We didn't spend the whole day there because we wanted to do other stuff also, but it was a great experience.

2328165090104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

2338379320104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

MDSue,

What a good tip about Richard and The Blue Channel. We are going to Roatan for a week. We leave on Saturday. I know this is a cruise site and I have used it for several years. All information is good information. I have read about The Blue Channel other places but I didn't know exactly where it was. This sounds like a must do trip for us. The absolute best thing about your picture of the beach is the sign that reminds people not to touch or stand on the coral. Three cheers to the resort that put that up. Thanks for the tip.:D

MDSue,

What a good tip about Richard and The Blue Channel. We are going to Roatan for a week. We leave on Saturday. I know this is a cruise site and I have used it for several years. All information is good information. I have read about The Blue Channel other places but I didn't know exactly where it was. This sounds like a must do trip for us. The absolute best thing about your picture of the beach is the sign that reminds people not to touch or stand on the coral. Three cheers to the resort that put that up. Thanks for the tip.:D

Thanks! I think you will find the reef [and Roatan] beautiful:)

Archived