Cozumel port is RCCL still going

Since Cozumel just raised it's severity level for the swine flu again does anyone know if Liberty will be calling on it during the June 27th cruise. I can't find anything on RCCL's web site.

Thanks in advance.

Danielle

Since Cozumel just raised it's severity level for the swine flu again does anyone know if Liberty will be calling on it during the June 27th cruise. I can't find anything on RCCL's web site.

Thanks in advance.

Danielle

I"m sorry, I can't tell you about June 27th, but I can tell you that we were just there (Cozumel) on the Freedom last Friday.

Thanks in advance.

Danielle

Why pick on Mexico?

76 countries have officially reported 35,928 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection, including 163 deaths.

There are 17,855 cases in the USA alone, which accounts for 50% of the global number, far more than there are in Mexico.

I would reacon it is safer to go to Mexico than stay in the USA myself....

Why pick on Mexico?

76 countries have officially reported 35,928 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection, including 163 deaths.

There are 17,855 cases in the USA alone, which accounts for 50% of the global number, far more than there are in Mexico.

CHILL OUT! I don't think that the OP is picking on Mexico only wondering if RCL is going back to Coz. Like the majority of cruisers who cruise the Western Caribbean our favorite port if Cozumel.

CHILL OUT! I don't think that the OP is picking on Mexico only wondering if RCL is going back to Coz. Like the majority of cruisers who cruise the Western Caribbean our favorite port if Cozumel.

This is changing the subject a little (sorry) but what do you like to do in Cozumel. We are going there for our 2nd time this summer and did not really care for it the first time.

Just looking for ideas...

I hope for the OP that their cruise is not changed.

Why pick on Mexico?

I have a stop in Cozumel. Makes sense to ask about that stop. I guess the OP could have included the full 76 Countries, but maybe they were low on chat ink. Or maybe they only wanted to know about Cozumel. Ya think?

This is changing the subject a little (sorry) but what do you like to do in Cozumel. We are going there for our 2nd time this summer and did not really care for it the first time.

I have pictures in my review of our trip to Passion Island when we went to Cozumel last week. I'd recommend that, we loved it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1007533

Thanks in advance.

Danielle

What? Raised it severity level? We were in Cozumel from May 12 to May 23. This was during the period when the cruise ships were not going to Mexico, although no cases of swine flu had been reported for Cozumel or for the entire state of Quintana Roo.

For some reason the CDC bulletins and the news media treat the whole country of Mexico like it is about the size of Peoria, Illinois.

Thank you lady cruiser and thank you wisdom for taking up for me. Some posters can be a bit harsh.

D.

You're welcome. Seems some are just a bit on edge. You'd think a cruise website would be a little more easy going.

I was on the "Swine Cruise" in April on the Mariner to the Mexican Riviera but ended up in San Francisco instead. Of course we all had clothes for warm weather, not freezing weather!

This Sunday I leave on the Freedom and Cozumel is one of the stop, so after my experience on my last cruise I would ALSO like to know if they're still stopping in Cozumel!!! I have my kids booked for the dolphin swim (not through the cruise line) so might lose the money I paid if we do not stop there!

Gotta love those people that have nothing better to do than post unpleasant response that don't answer anybodies questions! Get a life!

We are not beach people so we are shop-a-holics. We don't even have to buy just walk in and out of the shops looking at different crafts. We stay away from the down town area where most tourist go. We take a taxi to San Miguel and walk up and down the side streets. They have smaller shops and the owners are not as pushy. There also is a show, through the cruise line, that is called Mexican Folklore and Dance. It shows the different Mexican Dances from the Marihci (spelling ??) Bands to the ribbon dancers with the ladies in their bright colorful costumes to a skit from hundreds of years ago.

I know it sounds boring but we just love the port and the people. In fact on our last stop in Coz we meet a couple who had are moved there from Florida. He does personalized tours for people and told us he could show us parts of Cozumel, away from the city, that the usual tour buses don't get to. I have his card at home so I will be glad to post his name here later next week. If you contact him I am sure that he can give you suggestion of what to do beside the usual beach time or dolphin swim encounter.

We are not beach people so we are shop-a-holics. We don't even have to buy just walk in and out of the shops looking at different crafts. We stay away from the down town area where most tourist go. We take a taxi to San Miguel and walk up and down the side streets. They have smaller shops and the owners are not as pushy. There also is a show, through the cruise line, that is called Mexican Folklore and Dance. It shows the different Mexican Dances from the Marihci (spelling ??) Bands to the ribbon dancers with the ladies in their bright colorful costumes to a skit from hundreds of years ago.

I know it sounds boring but we just love the port and the people. In fact on our last stop in Coz we meet a couple who had are moved there from Florida. He does personalized tours for people and told us he could show us parts of Cozumel, away from the city, that the usual tour buses don't get to. I have his card at home so I will be glad to post his name here later next week. If you contact him I am sure that he can give you suggestion of what to do beside the usual beach time or dolphin swim encounter.

Actually that sounds Show sounds interesting. Or a tour away from the usual. If you could post his info it would be appreciated.

In fact on our last stop in Coz we meet a couple who had are moved there from Florida. He does personalized tours for people and told us he could show us parts of Cozumel, away from the city, that the usual tour buses don't get to. I have his card at home so I will be glad to post his name here later next week. If you contact him I am sure that he can give you suggestion of what to do beside the usual beach time or dolphin swim encounter.
Oh, yes, please post his name here. I'm looking for something sedate to do with my elderly parents.

I was on the "Swine Cruise" in April on the Mariner to the Mexican Riviera but ended up in San Francisco instead. Of course we all had clothes for warm weather, not freezing weather!

This Sunday I leave on the Freedom and Cozumel is one of the stop, so after my experience on my last cruise I would ALSO like to know if they're still stopping in Cozumel!!! I have my kids booked for the dolphin swim (not through the cruise line) so might lose the money I paid if we do not stop there!

Gotta love those people that have nothing better to do than post unpleasant response that don't answer anybodies questions! Get a life![/quote]

I don't think that anyone was intentionally being abusive or unpleasant to the original poster but merely observing that there has probably been an over-reaction to the swine flu problem. Especially as it relates to Cozumel where no cases were even reported.

The OP stated the Cozumel has raised its severity level again. We find that statement quite interesting. We are sure that the OP got this information from what they consider a reliable source. But, we thought raising the severity level was a function of the WHO or CDC. Hopefully, the cruise lines will not be as hasty this time around and gather more information before changing cruise itineraries.

Gotta love those people that have nothing better to do than post unpleasant response that don't answer anybodies questions! Get a life!

We leave this Sunday as well. My family and I are doing the Dolphin Experience at Chankanaab. Should be fun. We're scheduled for the 12pm slot.

I emailed RCI yesterday and asked if the ship is still stopping in Cozumel. As soon as I get a response back from them I will post it here. We leave on the 27th and it is one of our stops, my favorite stop :p

I don't think that anyone was intentionally being abusive or unpleasant to the original poster but merely observing that there has probably been an over-reaction to the swine flu problem. Especially as it relates to Cozumel where no cases were even reported.

Exactly my point - but obviously wit, humor and irony is not in some people's vocabulary:D

Exactly my point - but obviously wit, humor and irony is not in some people's vocabulary:D

Walmart has slashed the prices of wit and irony, but I think you need to go to Sizzler for humor. Last time I was there, something tasted funny.

....on a specialized tour operator

Ed & Dkay's Fun Booth

Cozumel Wintery & Touring Services

Ph# 011-52-1-987-105-4528

or www.cozumelwinery.com

Now that I look at his card looks like he also have condos for rent but he did tell my sister and I to look him up and he would take us on a tour of Cozumel.

We are not going until next February (2010) but if we go before anyone of you we will let you know how it works out.

We just checked the RCCL website and the US State Departments website to see what information we could learn about the OP's assertion that "Cozumel had raised its swine flu severity level again".

RCCL had no travel alerts and didn't show any ships being diverted from Mexican Ports. The State Department's website, which is current as of today, indicates that the H1N1 warnings for Mexico were lifted back on May 15, 2009.

We suspect the OP must have picked up some old data.

2 words....PARADISE BEACH!!!

I emailed RCI on the 17th this is the reponse I received from them today regarding Cozumel:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in the response.

We applaud the decision of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to downgrade their previous "Travel Alert" for Mexico to a "Travel Health Precaution." Like our guests we are anxious to return to Mexico. As such, we are pleased to announce that Royal Caribbean International will resume its port calls in Cozumel, Mexico, beginning with sailings that depart on or after May 24, 2009. Our ships with Cozumel port calls include the Freedom of the Seas, the Liberty of the Seas, and the Enchantment of the Seas.

Please note, the Mariner of the Seas will continue its modified Pacific Northwest itinerary up to and including its June 14 sailing. The Mariner of the Seas will return to its original Mexican Riviera itinerary beginning June 21, 2009.

Rest assured, we will continue to utilize our Influenza Prevention and Response Plans that our office of Medical and Public Health developed in coordination with the CDC and other health experts. The plan is based on three pillars: Preparedness and Communication; Surveillance and Detection; and Response and Containment.

Some of the proactive measures we are taking include the following:

-Providing guests with H1N1 flu information from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

-Screening all ship visitors, including guests and crew members, to identify any flu-like symptoms

-Conducting enhanced sanitizing of all high-touch areas onboard

-Providing hand sanitizers throughout all ships

-Asking guests to follow the advice of medical experts regarding the best ways to help prevent the spread of flu and other illnesses via proper and frequent hand washing and covering the mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing

If necessary, onboard medical staff can isolate and treat guests or crew members who display flu-like symptoms, using the supply of anti-viral medications kept onboard all ships.

Additional information regarding the H1N1 flu and the Travel Health Precaution for Mexico is available on the CDC website: www.cdc.gov

Ms. Mason, thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

Helen Urban

Customer Service Representative

Archived