jewelery western carrib.

davnjnet

Hopefully the jewelry you buy already comes in a setting...Our jeweler has emphasized to us that loose stones are cut in a way that is different from U.S. ;therefore, getting a setting here would not work unless it was a special custom design which could get pricey.

Cozumel has some good silver jewelry, Mexico is known for silver, usually get pieces for about 1/2 of their starting price thru haggling (never get used to that though). Grand Cayman had several stores by the pier but I personally didn't stop, more of a bar-hopper and beach bum than shopper. I am sure there are a few on this board that have left a few dollars for the flashy items

We were on the same itinerary as you in early Nov. Don't plan to buy much in Costa Rica or Panama....shopping is not their thing......but I did look in Aruba, GC and Cozumel. Surprisingly, the best prices were in GC.....now perhaps it was because we were only the 3rd ship back into that island since it opened on Nov. 1 and they wanted to get rid of inventory that has been sitting in vaults since before the hurricane..... But I found good jewelry at fair prices.....but you do have to shop!!!! I bought some wonderful swiss blue topaz earrings....and saw similar designs in many stores (all princess cut stones...channel set) but not all were 14k.....and they varied in price by about $75...from high to low. So don't buy the first thing you see.....look and go back. Aruba also had nicer stores than Cozumel......I find prices in Cozumel to be high.

One other piece of advice....unless you are looking for a perfume/after shave that isn't available in the US.....pricing on these items aren't all that great. I bought the new Lancome fragrance -- Poeme, on our trip. I shopped in all the countries and the shops had the same price..$57 for 50ml. When I got home I went to Macy's and it is $58 for the same size....yea, I did save the sales tax.....but I am not sure it was worth it. There are some European brands not sold in the US that are wonderful to buy in the islands.....but the prices are not necessarily a bargin.

During our recent cruise, one of our tablemates bought what appeared to be a 3 karat or so trilliant cut green stone in Cozumel. She told me it was a Tsavorite, and the people at the shop next to where she bought the pendant told her it was a Tsavorite. Well, I knew that was not a Tsavorite. Sure enough, when she got home, her jeweler told her it was a green quartz, worth approximately one quarter of what she paid for it. You can guess the moral of this story.

During our recent cruise, one of our tablemates bought what appeared to be a 3 karat or so trilliant cut green stone in Cozumel. She told me it was a Tsavorite, and the people at the shop next to where she bought the pendant told her it was a Tsavorite. Well, I knew that was not a Tsavorite. Sure enough, when she got home, her jeweler told her it was a green quartz, worth approximately one quarter of what she paid for it. You can guess the moral of this story.

LOL , and she trusted them, don't buy anything in Mexico but the beer.

I have to honestly say that both for savings and style, the U.S. beats all those places for jewelry. With some of the Christmas sales that are running now the savings are unbelieveable.

I just returned form Cancun on vacation and I went into a zillion silver shops. They all have the same thing (I found MUCH nicer and more modern and unique styles when I was visiting my sister in Albuquerque in the spring)and the savings ins't all that significant. You have to haggle and haggle and I personally hate that.

If you want to buy something as a momento of your trip thats different. Find what you like, haggle and buy. Then when you get home DO NOT try and see if you could have gotten it cheaper. That'll only make you mad! LOL!

Suzanne

The duty free/tax free shopping is very misleading. I bought a watch in St. Thomas on a cruise that was suposed to be a bargain price. I didn't exactly get ripped off but I found out I can get the same watch for the same price right here in the USA any day of the week.

So if you know what you're looking at , familiar with the price and you want it right then, go for it. But if unsure, wait till you get back and buy from reputable dealers. The bargains are not such a bargain....

Hi,

...let's just say, Caveat Emptor.

I've been cruising in the Caribbean for 20 years, and have found some deals over the years. But, as with any type of shopping where you're looking for the best price option, know your merchandise, know your quality, and know what you'd pay for it at home to be able to compare.

My experience with colognes is that the ship's boutiques have a better price for the spray bottles than I can buy at home, but otherwise run very comparably priced.

In 1995 I bought a beautiful gold dress watch in Grand Cayman. Got a great deal on it, the best thing being it was a style I had wanted but hadn't been able to find at home: gold Roman numerals on a white, rectangular face. It was over 50% less than the closest thing at home in the same brand.

As for general shopping experiences we tend to prefer Grand Cayman and Aruba.

Anyway, have a great time, and enjoy the shopping whether you buy or not.

CM

We have been going to Cozumel for 10 years, and my husband has gotten me several diamond rings which have been favorably-reviewed by my local jeweler for quality and price.

We go to Jewel Port or Diamonds International. There's also a Rolex dealer that sells Tiffany where we have gotten a few items and been pleased with the price and quality. (I think it might be called Rochat y Romero?)

There is amazing and unusual silver jewelry in Cozumel also. Be sure it is stamped .925.

Have fun shopping!

I love Mexican silver.....going to buy some for the girls when we go in 2 1/2 wks!!!!! But you DO have to be sure it is stamped 925. I agree here that you need to KNOW what you are buying as far as jewelry goes!!!!!!

Hi.

We just got back from W. Caribbean on the Century and we found the best jewelry prices to be in Cozumel, believe it or not. You do have to know what you are buying (read threads earlier) and what it is worth. As for haggling, we found the following tips.

1. Do bargain, even at the "more upscale" stores. They will go down more than 50% if you don't act as if you can't live without the piece.

2. As for Mexican silver, if you buy near the ship docks (as I did), you can bargain down to 25% of what they initially tell you. Don't pay more. For example, I got a fabulous enormous piece of genuine amber (slide setting) with a silver setting. They started me at $85 -- I bought it for $22. Moral of story. Know what things are worth and don't be afraid to walk away. Those guys will come down. Honest. A silver bracelet (heavy) with 3 bands of silver stamped .925, and a 1 inch piece of magenta colored Mexican coral set in the cuff -- $45. Cash price, that is.

if they don't come down, you can do without it, or you now know what you can bargain for in a similar piece.

Good luck

Archived