Snorkeling at Chankanaab with kids

tandrsmom

I just wanted to pop in here and warn you that in order to enter the ocean, you have to walk down steps that are very slippery to get into the ocean. It's not a traditional walk from the sand into the water setting. I can post some pics if you would like. Have fun.
Did you wear some type of shoes in the water? I'm trying to decide what I should bring for our trip there. Some waterproof sandals (tevas) would work or do you need them?

I had some because I already owned them before. But I think except for the steps it's not necessary. It gets deep quickly and once you swim you swim... Only the little walk-in beach area is rocky, but we were only there because of the kids and even then they have some sand bags in the middle so that you can walk in a bit without shoes... the very beginning is sand anyways though so the kids could play (I had brought a small bucket and some shovels because of a recommendation I have read in this forum and that worked great).

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know if there are snorkelling TOURS available at Chankanaab?
We just came back Sunday from our cruise. We did the Royal Swim and then had hours to enjoy at the park afterwards. We rented snorkels and vests ($15 per person) and spent hours in the water along the shore. As I was getting the gear, a guy had a notebook with some photos of what to see below and offered a personal tour. I declined, so I don't know his price. Go to their online website and talk to a representative if you want more 'official' information. I did that when I made my reservation and had a good experience doing so.

The steps into the water are big slippery rocks, but we did well getting down and putting on the fins. Make sure to hold onto the rail and step slowly.

We took two small boxes of Cheerios (prepackaged!) from the ship and fed the fish. Dry Cheerios float, so let them get waterlogged before feeding. It was so amazing to have all the fish inches from you! If you have little ones, feed in small amounts so there won't be a massive frenzy around them. And, of course, be sure to toss your trash in the trash cans on the beach, not in the water!

Does anyone know the cost for adults and children for the dolphin swim at Chankanaab? The swim is on the website, but no cost.

Thanks!

If you book directly with Dolphin Discovery, these are the prices:

Royal Dolphin Swim:

Adults: US$ 149

Children: US$ 149 (ages 8-11)

Dolphin Swim: Adults: US$ 103.4

Children: US$ 101.75 (ages 8-11)

Dolphin Encounter:

Adults: US$ 77.8

Children: US$ 64.5 (ages 6-11)

* Free Children: (1 to 5 y.o.)

It is on their website - you have to click on the activity that you are interested in and it will show you the price. The price includes entrance to Chankanaab.

Have fun!

Ashley :)

I suggest you book online. I did the day we left for us. My mother in law didn't plan on swimming with the dolphins but then changed her mind last minute once we were in the park already. This way we ended up paying the entrance fee for Chankanaab and then booked the swim for her but didn't get a refund for the entrance fee which is otherwise included.

I had only signed up us as adults not the kids since they were free but they kind of said I should have signed them up online nevertheless. Only my 5 yr old paid for the entrance to Chankanaab, I think it was $8.-, the 2 yr old was completely free.

The encounter was great with the kids and it was well worth the money. But if we ever go back I definitely would do the Royal swim. It looked so awesome! They made a video and pictures of the encounter so there went some extra $, but they were both really great. The pics were awesome and the video was really nicely edited too.

Archived