Passport Question

teddycruzr

We are Sailing on the CP 2/26/05 and I just got my cruise info packet which says I have to have a passport valid for 5 months beyond our cruise....mine expires in May....do I quick try to renew it early (4-6 weeks) and worry about it getting back to me on time or wait and use my passport on the trip and wonder if someone will notice that I'm under the 5 month limit? Has anyone had a problem with this? If we were going to Europe or the Far East I could understand it, but the Carribbean??

You shouldn't have any problem in the Caribbean. Immigration won't have an issue with it but it is possible to get a Princess agent who takes the rules a little to seriously. You could bring your birth certificate along just in case.

By the way renewals are usually done very quick. Mine took 9 days.

Scott

Well, personally, I would worry. Security issues are constantly changing. You can get an expedited passport for a slight extra fee. This rule has been around for quite some time, and I have seen it enforced for sailings abroad.

It really isn't a security issue, it is an immigration issue.

Scott

On our Panama cruise earlier this year, we had to update our passports because it was made perfectly clear that if we didn't have documentation that extended six months beyond our visit, we could not go ashore in Costa Rica.

Some people seem to have an issue with making sure their documentation is up to date when visiting other countries. I'd rather make sure mine is up to date than have a problem later. It's a changed world.

On our Panama cruise earlier this year, we had to update our passports because it was made perfectly clear that if we didn't have documentation that extended six months beyond our visit, we could not go ashore in Costa Rica.

Some people seem to have an issue with making sure their documentation is up to date when visiting other countries. I'd rather make sure mine is up to date than have a problem later. It's a changed world.

Agree, daWoods. One can have an "issue" with food, MUTS, chair hogs, jeans in the dining room, etc., but when it comes to having the proper credentials, guidelines and/or opinions don't matter at all. It's strictly a matter of adhering to the rules, as conveyed in your cruise documentation.

We filed for new passports mid Nov and received them last week, My mom filed 2 weeks after we did and her turn around time was less then 2 weeks. You should be able to have a renewal by the end of Feb. Now seems to be a slow time for passports.

Thanks everyone....I'll fill out the forms and get a picture taken today....no sense taking a chance....now another question...will my passport number stay the same or be different? Can i fill out the info for the cruise online now or do i have to wait til the new one comes?

Got my new passport in the mail last week.

Took five weeks from time I sent in old passport and new forms. I thought that was pretty good service, considiering I did not ask for nor pay for expedited service.

My old passport was to expire in Jun 05, but as we have a cruise booked in Mar 05, I did not care to run afoul of the six month restriction.

Get the passports renewed. As others have said, it's not worth risking a problem re-entering the U.S. And, this is not Princess immigration policy but a U.S. Government policy that's been in place for years. Princess is just the messenger and making sure you're aware of this.

Fill in your current Passport information. You can change it when you get the new passport if the number is different, which it most likely will be. (But I haven't had to renew mine for years so I don't remember.)

We renewed ours and got the new ones back within 3 1/2 weeks, (including the Thanksgiving holidays). The numbers did change. There is a form you can download via the government website for renewals (only) and simply send that in with your new photos and expiring passport. Easier for us since we didn't have to go to the county building. You must send them in a "padded" envelope. We sent them via priorty mail to assure receipt. I also called ahead and was told it was okay to send both in the same envelope, just separate forms and checks.

Archived